Why Arc?

Mr Tutt

Having seen a number of posts about the Staples Arc notebook, I stopped by a store the other day and took a look at one. It's nice, but my question is why? What is the advantage, other than it is nice looking perhaps, of using this notebook rather than a standard ring binder? This seems particularly relevant as judging from the posts, many users don't use the Arc paper, but design their own. The question would also apply to the even more expensive Levenger Circa version. I started to by an Arc, then decided to wait. Why should I go back and get one. Sell me here.-- EMS

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Tutt

• fpc

• dgturner

• padawanspider

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the advantage, other than it is nice looking perhaps, of using this notebook rather than a standard ring binder?

The reasons I like the disk-binding systems:

1. compact, like a spiral-bound, yet

2. editable like a ring binder; and

3. I can make it virtually whatever size I want.

I can fit several disk-bound notebooks into the same bag that I could only fit one ring binder. I am actually in the process of planning my own weekly agenda, based on a compact-size binder-type, but it will fit in my purse without any problem; a binder-type planner will not fit in my purse, much less allow for the rest of my purse's contents!

If it has to be sold to you, then you don't need it.

Don

Letter writing is the only device for combining

solitude with good company.

If it has to be sold to you, then you don't need it.

Don

Don has a point, but I will try (I am kind of stupid that way):

• [Reasons given by Padwanspider]
  • The ability to use customized sheets in a notebook (try that with a spiral)
  • Easily transfer sheets between notebooks, without the bulk of a three ring binder.
  • Distinctive

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

I'd like to add to the list (after agreeing with all the questions given) that I have a bad tendency to snap my fingers in the metal binder rings, so I find the Arc/Circa notebooks to be far less physically painful. Also, since they have more points of contact with the binding, the Arc/Circa papers seem to hold up better with lots of use than binder papers do. I don't have to use those little reinforcement circles that add so much bulk to the paper. And I can have one that fits in my purse/bookbag/computer bag that will fit in the overhead compartment on an airplane.

And Minipeanut likes the little paper mushrooms that come out of the punch.... :bunny01:

I like that the cover can be folded to the back and I can write on a flat surface. The quick insertion of new content or removal of old is really nice. I found with spiral books I would find something I wanted to add to my notebook and couldn't without glueing or stapling it in. I do not find the system good for journaling or really permanent pages though, as pages are easier to be damaged. I love it for planning, to do pages, idea pages, grocery lists, etc. It is perfect for brain dumping.

All of the above, plus the most critical feature for my household: My dog goes completely nonlinear when I open or close a ring binder, no matter how quietly or gently it's done. Even if it's almost silent. Even if he's at the other end of the house. :gaah:

I like that the cover can be folded to the back and I can write on a flat surface. The quick insertion of new content or removal of old is really nice. I found with spiral books I would find something I wanted to add to my notebook and couldn't without glueing or stapling it in. I do not find the system good for journaling or really permanent pages though, as pages are easier to be damaged. I love it for planning, to do pages, idea pages, grocery lists, etc. It is perfect for brain dumping.

This to me seems the best advantage ... if you find yourself writing on your lap, the space required is far less than with a traditional (insert your number of) ring binder system. In addition, there is a varied number of customizations also supported by the ARC system. Why pay more for Levenger? Unless of course you like some of the other leather options. They are very attractive!

Join my Flickr Groups Staples Arc

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces