The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Delta Evolution Darwin Limited Edition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 23:21

I first saw this pen while on honeymoon in Paris several years ago. Even my wife liked it, but she needed new clothes more than I needed an new pen! Although I am a biologist, and therefore think that Darwin is cool and all, really though, this is just a gorgeous pen. The marbled blue resin is fantastic. Note, however, that the reflection of my white background in the photos below imparts a weird purple tinge to the edges of the pen. For a non tainted image see Deltas website. Like nearly all of Delta's limited editions this pen has sterling silver fittings. In this case it is a barrel band depicting Darwin's Finches. For those of you not in the know, the finches beak variation represents adaptation to their particular environment. Natural selection. I don't care about finches but it is nice metal work.

Posted Image

Anyway, the pen is fairly large, with a decidedly substantial feel for a cartridge/converter filler. The evenly placed trim rings are somewhat novel and look pretty. The smaller barrel diameter at the end is supposed to accommodate the cap for posting. As can be seen in the photo below, however, the cap does not post flush with the fat part of the barrel, and posting makes the pen quite ungainly. Best not to post.

Posted Image

The large diameter, and the solid feel of the pen allows it to sit well in the hand unposted, and it is comfortable for long writing sessions. The nib size is fine, and I had to tweak it a little to fit my crazy lefty grip. Actually, I find fine nibs on large diameter pens sometimes problematic. Small rotational movements of a large diameter pen translate into big shifts in how the nib impacts the paper. For this reason I prefer medium and broad nibs on big pens. Running this fine nib over some 12000 grit sandpaper dialed it in nicely for me, but I probably ruined it for anyone else. The snail design on the nib is a nice touch, and, I guess, references the Galapagos land snails that Darwin wrote about.

Posted Image

Naturally, this pen came with a cool box, and some ink, it is so good looking I'd have been happy if it came in a paper bag.

Four reviews in one afternoon. I gotta spread this out next time!

Sponsored Content

#2 Dimitrios_P

Dimitrios_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 00:13

What a marvelous instrument!!!!!!

Thank you for that review.
"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

#3 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:30

somehow that pen oozes character, it is difficult to describe, large, colourful, slightly imposing and it really means business. in the photos the cap looks really large. though the colour of the pen shouts (screams) a little overall it has a magical appearance which anybody will stop and appreciate (oh, my!)

great pen and four great reviews. thank you.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#4 mbradley

mbradley

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:07

Beautiful pen, thanks for the review. That's a Delta I would enjoy, well my own, not yours... Posted Image

Michael

#5 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 16:51

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#6 Jonst

Jonst

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:26

Thanks for your recent reviews.

I think this is the most striking looking of the 4 pens but they are all great - enjoy!

Best wishes

Jon

#7 FrankvK

FrankvK

Fontoplumo.nl

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:58

Thanks for you review, bought my first Delta a few months ago (Garibaldi) and love Delta from that day. This pen will definitely go on my wishlist.
www.fontoplumo.nl
info@fontoplumo.nl

#8 kauloltran

kauloltran

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 18:56

Thanks for stating that the pen is cartridge converter. I had me eyes on this pen for awhile now, If it comes up any cheaper than the current selling price, I'll snatch it right away. I wish the nib can have better engravings though...

Sponsored Content

|