The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Libelle Siena Palio

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 22:51

I am all about getting the most for my money. As part of a closeout sale, I was able to snag this Libelle fountain pen for about 60% off.

Since it was such a bargain, the Libelle Siena feels like it is worth much more than I paid for it. It is “expensive feeling” in the hand; the parts are all machined and fitted together very well. I chose the “Palio” pattern, and the husband calls it my “Cosby Sweater Pen”, but I love it. I get a kick out of coordinating my ink and pen colors, and the colors in the Palio give me many options all in the same pen! The chrome-accented pen has a black base with flecks of orange, blue, and magenta. There are some pretty pearlescent parts which give a vintage depth to the finish of the pen. It comes with an extra cap that is all black, just in case you desire a more reserved look. This is a very thoughtful bonus! Also included are a standard international cartridge and a converter for filling from a bottle of ink.

As far as the important part goes (ie: how it writes)- very smooth and just a tad on the dry side. This one was kind of difficult to get going, but once I matched it with the right ink, it was smooth sailing. I decided to take mine to a nail buffer just a few times to eliminate the possibility of the “baby’s bottom” one finds on so many modern nibs. It took a small amount of tinkering, but the nib is very smooth, and certainly worth the $45 I paid at www.isellpens.com. I would definitely recommend this pen to a friend with the same level of FP experience as myself (which is not much, but enough to jump a few very low hurdles).

And now for the most important part: THE PICTURES!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Size comparison(L to R: Jinhao X750, Lamy Safari, Libelle Siena, Esterbrook J):
Posted Image
Posted Image

Writing sample and nib comparisons:
Posted Image
Posted Image
(For the curious, the inks used above are Diamine Amazing Amethyst in the Lamy M, Noodler's Mata Hari's Cordial in the Lamy B, and Diamine Eclipse in the Esterbrook 2668.)

Edited by shaylenwilliams, 20 November 2011 - 22:52.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 18:05

Thanks Shaylen, that's a nice review and the pictures are great. How's the balance posted? It looks like the can threads on to post.

#3 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 19:16

Thanks Shaylen, that's a nice review and the pictures are great. How's the balance posted? It looks like the can threads on to post.

Thank you so much! I don't review pens often, but I felt this little gem deserved some attention.
The balance is actually quite good when posted. I post all my pens, so I am biased toward doing so. The cap DOES thread on, and I LOVE that about this pen. It is such a relief not to have to fiddle with it, or worry that it will be flung off (shifty glance toward my Lamy Nexx). I just capped the Siena, and balanced it on my finger right where the cap meets the barrel when posted. It will balance there, with just a slight lean toward the nib end. This is perfect, IMHO, because there's enough weight to take some pressure off the nib, but not enough to cause compensation for it. The weight of the pen overall is nice. It feels solid and high-quality, but it is light enough to be comfortable. It's much heavier than the Estie J, a bit heavier than the Safari, and moderately lighter than the Jinaho X750.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#4 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:26

thank you for a short but at the same time comprehensive review. it is always nice to learn about different brands, some of them well known and some not so well known. due to the efforts of kind people like you, the fountain pen interest and database grows. i am so glad that you and your pen are a perfect match. i think the colored cap is better than the black one, it is a zingy pen after all.

i will look forward to your reviews in future.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#5 Microgrs

Microgrs

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2014 - 13:15

Just arrived, a Libelle Nero! Can't wait to try it out.

Sponsored Content

|