The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M800 Green Demonstrator

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 22:08

This is a short review of one of my grail pens, the Pelikan M800 green demonstrator. In addition, it is the first of four reviews I plan to write today. I've been lurking a lot recently, and I figured it was time to contribute again.

This pen was part of a very large Pelkan collection on consignment at Dromgoole's in Houston TX. Actually, there were two (two!) green demonstrators in the collection. Neither came with a box, which is not that big of a deal since this is the original late 1980's/early 1990's version, not the later (c1999) edition. The reason for a lack of box not being a big deal is that while the production run was limited, it was not packaged as a special limited edition. I understand the American distributor took to including special certificates in the boxes, but supposedly Pelikan never did so. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clarify this. Anyway, I got the pick of the litter. By all appearances the pen had only been dipped, and it had a broad nib. Oh, what a nib, more on that later.

Posted Image

So, what do I like about this pen? First, the green color is super cool. Second, it is a true demonstrator from top to bottom. That is, even the tassie is transparent. Third, the Pelikan logo is stamped from gold plated metal. Fourth, the nib is an awesome broad. Fifth, it is an M800, and that is never bad.

Posted Image

The nib is everything you would expect from a Pelikan M800 broad. Juicy and responsive, smooth but not glassy, soft but not flexible, a wonderful medium for expressing your thoughts. The standard large ink reservoir means that that broad nib won't run dry too soon, and the balance, posted or not makes for easy writing.

Posted Image

This is a grail pen for me. I've wanted one for years but could never afford it. I got lucky, right place, right time. It has great company alongside my red and green stripe M800's, and my yellow M910 Toledo. Those four pens sit lording over my other dozen or so Pelikans.

As you can see, I have inked it up and love using it. It especially liked being fueled with Noodler's Purple Martin.

Sponsored Content

#2 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 22:23

I love green, demonstrators, & Pels... :puddle: Awesome pen!

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2011 - 22:24

That's just sexy. Puts my green B nib TWSBI to shame. Gotta love green though!

Cheers!

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 Dimitrios_P

Dimitrios_P

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 00:30

Beautiful pen and I think is only 3000 pieces or so in the market.
"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

#5 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 00:32

Such a beautiful pen! I wish the green and blue 800's had been and were still regular production pens instead of special editions.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#6 amble63

amble63

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 14:57

Beautiful!
Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

#7 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 18:16

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#8 i.like.whiskey

i.like.whiskey

Served neat always preferred.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2011 - 23:32

Wow. I have never seen this pen before. Beautiful. :puddle:
I have just arrived at the conclusion that I need another bird. :eureka:
Time to hunt online.

And yes, I know it's bourbon. 

#9 sadiemagic

sadiemagic

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:43

Congrats on getting a fabulous pen. I have one myself, I purchased it in the early 1990's. Broad nib like yours. Oh baby...

As far as I recall, it did not come with anything but a plain box, although I've seen certificates such as what you mentioned with others for sale on ebay.

This is a totally, totally cool pen. I wish I had a spare in case I ever were to lose it. I have a "working" Blue Ocean M800 and a "spare" that's MIB that I bought years later, one of the last ones FPH had. By the time I had enough disposable income to do that, I couldn't find another green demonstrator -- although some come up for sale occasionally (usually when I've had unexpected home or car repair bills, grrrr!).

Of my three Pelikan M800 demonstrators (green, blue ocean and clear), the green is my favorite, hands down...

Use it in good health and enjoy!
Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

Sponsored Content

|