Dr Goretex Bamboo And Blackwood

watch_art

Recently I approached Ken aka Dr Goretex here on FPN about doing a custom art for custom pen trade and he graciously accepted. He told me what he wanted from me and that he was going to make a pen that would blow my socks off. Okay maybe he didn't say that - but the pen certainly has blown my socks off. And my shoes are still on! That's amazing!!

Here's the thread with the details.

Look at it! It looks like a piece of bamboo!

gallery_41188_9_82984.jpg

gallery_41188_9_35119.jpg

gallery_41188_9_154623.jpg

gallery_41188_9_107163.jpg

He even hollowed the ends out.

gallery_41188_9_91242.jpg

gallery_41188_9_60290.jpg

I've never had a pen with such a large step before and I wasn't sure if it would be comfortable or not - I gotta say it's great though. I just stick my thumb up on the barrel and go to town. No issues with the step at all. I have handled the Pilot Bamboo before, so I have a little experience with the step, but only a minute or two when I tested it out. Here is the actual pen. From what I can remember of the Pilot, I gotta say I like the Dr Goretex bamboo a WHOLE lot more. The acrylic has such a slick texture and I just don't want to put it down. Such a delight.

And with a medium (and he included a broad) Meister Nib, you know it writes PERFECTLY. Love it!

gallery_41188_9_46422.jpg

It's not a small pen either. Here it is next to my buddy's 149.

gallery_41188_9_57286.jpg

gallery_41188_9_48666.jpg

gallery_41188_9_37211.jpg

Lamy Safari stained with Bad Green Gator. B)

gallery_41188_9_182805.jpg

And next to another Dr Goretex creation. I've been calling it the blackwood.

gallery_41188_9_53986.jpg

Now for the Blackwood.

I don't know what else to call it but I think that sounds really good.

Also no small pen by any means - very comfortable to hold. This guy does really good work.

gallery_41188_9_68501.jpg

This pen is made from kit parts so the nib is just a kit nib, but I gotta say that it's REALLY good. Very smooth and wet and just downright perfect. Ken sent me another section and nib for this pen since the one it came with had been dropped at some point, and the nib didn't fit tightly in the section anymore.

gallery_41188_9_55938.jpg

gallery_41188_9_117710.jpg

gallery_41188_9_182983.jpg

gallery_41188_9_95739.jpg

Next to a Lamy Safari for size.

gallery_41188_9_103535.jpg

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Prvt. Toter

• lovemy51

• Uncle Red

Man, those are really nice, but you need to invest in some ink remover for the fingers... or maybe just empty the pens before you tear them apart (grin)

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

:P

Actually - all that blue is fresh from the lip of my PR DC blue. I opened it instead of the green that I used and didn't notice it was blue until my fingers showed up. Put that away and got the green out. Had to wipe the bamboo off.

I don't mind the inky fingers though.

:D

Well I guess the fingers do provide a wonderful palette for ink color confirmation, not that I know mind you, I have just heard... :lol: Beautiful pen, thanks for the review.

Edited by Prvt. Toter

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

Really like the Blackwood but it seems that the finish might be running onto your fingers as you write? rolleyes.gif I have a nice splotch of Sherwood Green on my hands right now, looks better on Rhodia though.

Michael

Nice!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I love the blackwood! In fact I love both. If had one backwood, I would put a large gold Bock nib on it. Oversized pens are awesome, aren't they? :thumbup:

How is cleaning/maintenance of the outer layers of both pens?

Any trouble with staining?

Look amazing btw, congratulations. :D

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

Cleaning? Ummmm......

You did say CLEANing. Hmm...

Uh....

:roflmho:

Kidding. I guess a wet paper tower or damp cloth would work just fine. The wood pen is nice and dark so I figure it wouldn't show too many stains. The bamboo wipes clean very easily.

The wood pen has a cyanoacrylate (essentially acrylic) finish on it. Shouldn't normally stain with ink. Got less experience with the polyresin of the bamboo pen, but I'd be very surprised if it stained with ink.

Ken

Edited by drgoretex