Maclaren Carbon Fibre?

wilf

Hi, this pen has been hard to find any info at all on, there are a couple of threads but the numbers seem different to my nib and colour of nib. I done some work many years ago on a maclaren brochure and helped with the japanese text so was given this as part payment, which has been used but now sitting in a drawer as its a bit fat for my liking. The nib has on it Maclaren 18k-750 M. Can anyone identify with that number and is there a rough market price for this pen, it has been used so needs cleaning and does have a few scuff marks on the tube end caps, and the inside barrel.

post-78680-0-96323200-1321551726.jpg

post-78680-0-34901400-1321551729.jpg

post-78680-0-34975300-1321551732.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wilf

• carlc

• Freddy

• Jdtravis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best guess is that's it a McLaren m900 but beyond that I'm having trouble finding anything else of use.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Leaflet in Tube mentions Manufactured under license from Maclaren International Ltd by TML Norwich England, which is a local precision engineering company if the same.

Leaflet in Tube mentions Manufactured under license from Maclaren International Ltd by TML Norwich England, which is a local precision engineering company if the same.

That helped find this

1. MFP-900 Carbon Fibre Fountain pen- Pressure molded carbon-fibre cap, barrel, precision engineered titanium nib section with the McLaren trademark “O” ring grip, 18 carat gold bi-color nib, Medium nib.

Everything seems to match except it doesn't have the bi colour nib

1. MFP-900 Carbon Fibre Fountain pen- Pressure molded carbon-fibre cap, barrel, precision engineered titanium nib section with the McLaren trademark "O" ring grip, 18 carat gold bi-color nib, Medium nib.

Everything seems to match except it doesn't have the bi colour nib

Yes but that was a clipping from a sales post - it's not a definitive statement as to the production. There could have been bi-colour and single colour nibs on the production run.

Is that some sort of spring loaded filler in there? I've never seen one like that before.

Chris B.

A converter pump filler...

In the matter of nib: IIRC.. .Two types..1. Two-Tone Au 750/1000.. .2. Rhodinated Au 750/1000.. .

fpn_1321565714__pumpfiller.jpg

Fred

That looks like the catalogue I worked on for the pen, if I remember it had like a tracing paper insert between some pages as well for effect, wish I kept one now

West McLaren Mercedes. The Silver Arrows. That was a good era for McLaren F1 with Mika making wins and David smashing his car into everything on (and near) the asphalt.

Definitely a nice remembrance.

The 18C-750 imprint means it's 18k gold with a mix of 75% gold 25% other metals. Most gold nibs have similar descriptions.

That would be a heck of a pen to own. Here's a 1997 picture of the McLarens out front at... looks like Interlagos, maybe Prince Albert Park. Oddly, David is out front in this shot. Anyways, the McLarens were the cream of the crop that year.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Avetikus/MikaDavid.jpg

Edited by Avetikus

"Spend all you want! We'll print more!" - B. S. (What's a Weimar?) Bernanke

Hi, this pen has been hard to find any info at all on, there are a couple of threads but the numbers seem different to my nib and colour of nib. I done some work many years ago on a maclaren brochure and helped with the japanese text so was given this as part pMayment, which has been used but now sitting in a drawer as its a bit fat for my liking. The nib has on it Maclaren 18k-750 M. Can anyone identify with that number and is there a rough market price for this pen, it has been used so needs cleaning and does have a few scuff marks on the tube end caps, and the inside barrel.

Very rare pen these days. I have the one with the Ti barrel and carbon fiber cap. Mine has a bi-color nib. Mine is the 700 and IIRC I paid around 350 USD for mine used. Your pen is rarer and more expensive to start with. Pick a price and see if you get a taker, there are many people enamored with carbon fiber pens. The Dunhill carbon fiber AD 2000 is way up there compared to the base models.

Image from Photobucket, owner ID on image.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q138/evosam/Writing_Instruments/McClaren-CF-Pen.jpg

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

They look like black O rings on yours mine has no rings at all

All MacLaren pens ...including MPP..MBP and MRB have the distinctive

trademark 'O' ring grips...Appears someone/something removed yours...

Fred

Quill & Sword

That section looks like it is going to be painful to hold for a longer period of time...

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Two more pens have turned up, apparently they were 4 pens in part payment for extra work carried out on the brochure at the time. These 2 are held by the printer, one has the O rings and the other doesn't but does have the bi coloured nib. I have the carbon pen and another person somewhere has a gold one of some sort we think??

As these were given we are thinking that they were the first of the batch and unfinished, at the time we didn't realize the rings werent missing, but know both of us are on a mission to get them to restore the pens to a finished state.

The artwork for the brochure is on an old external scsi hard drive which may be a problem to retrieve as who has scsi nowadays??

Should this fountain pens have O rings all the way along?

post-78680-0-65849500-1323368246.jpg

Edited by wilf

• 2 years later...

I'm looking to buy a McLaren M900 Carbon Fiber fountain pen with paperwork and tube (if possible). Willing to pay a premium. If anyone is interested in selling theirs, or knows a better place to find one, I would greatly appreciate a response!

pen is still in drawer since first post, trouble is it is hard to price as the black rubber O rings are missing and have no idea if these are easily replaced with a standard rubber O ring if you can get the correct sizes to fit, these rings were never on the pen when they were gifted to me, the rings were also missing on the other silver pen which was also gifted to someone else. I still,have tube and paper work.