Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue

Signum1

I have only recently tried this ink out, although I see that I'd gotten it back in October 2010.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it is waterproof. I hadn't realized that when I'd bought it, probably at a New York Pen Show, or at a New York/New Jersey Pen Show.

I liked it, but found that it had a tendency to dry pretty fast, which made it an issue to get it started again after I'd sat there thinking a bit. It usually was not that big a deal, but it was noticeably less simpatico than a lot of other Noodler's inks with my tendency to pause for a minute or two while scribbling away.

It is a nice looking ink though, even on the cheap paper that I use.

It was probably named for the Hudson river, since it's Fountain Pen Hospital exclusive and they're located in New York City.

That was my take on it too. Of course the Fountain Pen Hospital is closer to the East River than it is to the Hudson River. At that part of Manhattan the Hudson River used to be commonly referred to as the North River. And the East River is not a river at all, but a tidal estuary.

I should think that Henry Hudson's local exploits would be more attention getting than his discoveries hundreds of miles to the North. Same guy, in any event.

I like everything about this ink but the strong smell. Has anyone else noticed this?

It has an odor? I can't always detect odors. Can you describe this odor? I know that some of my Noodler's inks from 2004, though 2006, have developed a strong ammonia odor now :sick: , I assume that it's the result of a biocide degrading. I know that they didn't have an odor years ago. Is it a sort of citrus odor? I think I'd read somewhere that it's Nathan's new biocide that smells like citrus.

My bottle is buried, I'm too lazy to go open it up right now.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• inkstainedruth

• NewPenMan

• spiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Henry Hudson Blue ink still available? I can't pull it up on the Goulet site..

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

Henry Hudson Blue is an interesting color. I guess it would be categorized as a blue-black, but is really more of a grayish blue.

It's a very subtle color. I had passed on it a couple of years ago, the first time I went to FPH -- at the time I was trying to match a specific color and amount of shading of whatever ink came out of an Estie I'd found a few months before. And HHB wasn't it. But last winter when I was in New York, I took another look at the ink and was able to evaluate it more fairly -- letting it stand on its own merits.

I like the ink a whole lot.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaineruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is a lovely ink. I really like most of the FPN Exclusive inks that Nathan has created. Just put in an order for 2 bottles. This Ink Review Forum is bankrupting me.

Thanks for the review, Signum1. Great job!

Yeah I just learned about this color yesterday and something inside said, "that's going to be my everyday writing ink!"

Thanks for the link

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

It ought not matter at all. .I always enjoy when threads are picked up again after laying quiet for awhile

I can see where it gets its name. It's a steely deep gray-blue that looks like Arctic waters. Very nice, I like it. Definitely worth checking out! Thanks for the review.

Exactly where his crew set him adrift, in the Hudson Bay. Nice

It ought not matter at all. .I always enjoy when threads are picked up again after laying quiet for awhile

It would only matter if the ink was no longer available. But I just checked the FPH website, and it's still listed.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 6 years later...

Thanks for the updated photos (another ink that has been pushed aside but which I really need to pull back out).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth