Onoto Heritage Plunger

PeterBeoworld

Please forgive my first pen review - new to this and Flikr, and in addition to this also smashed a bottle of Manuscript Brown whilst looking for my camera lens! Therefore mildly flustered!

Well it has actually arrived. I have number 7 out of an initial run of 100, the first 30 being delivered this year. Mine arrived a little later than it might have done as I ordered a stub nib. I have wanted a real Onoto as although I have already have a University of Cambridge model (for my wife who read English), this is a CC model and just didn’t feel like my vintage Onotos in any way. It felt much more like a modern Conway Stewart.

I finished my surgery this morning to be given an interesting cardboard box. Opening this revealed a black cardboard Onoto branded box. In side this was a gorgeous burr ?elm box and associated documentation. Inside was the pen, safe in a bubble wrap pouch.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6049/6332259915_56c2811367.jpg

box by mcevedy, on Flickr

Appearance & Design

The pen is based on the Onoto 3000 so beautifully reviewed just the other day. In this case, there is a Henry Simpole silver overlay, I believe it is broadly the same as the Overlay 1 but the jewel area is silver as well. The rest of the body is very similar to the 3000 but is thicker than I had imagined it would be. It is not quite as thick as my original Magna but wider than either my 5601 or 6234. The cap pulls off revealing a No.3 nib, though this is more the size of an old No.5. The section meets the rest of the barrel via a slight slope, which is extremely comfortable to hold. The end of the pen has the plunger knob, which is stepped which allows the top to be posted.

This is a modern interpretation of a classic design but is very true to the original – think modern Morgan rather than new Mini! I think it is wonderful!

10/10

Construction and Quality

All thinks being said, it is basically a black plastic pen with a silver overlay. The quality of the overlay is wonderful which will come as no surprise to those with overlays by Henry Simpole, I am sure.

The plastic used feels somehow softer than that of the Cambridge Onoto, less shiny or squeaky. It feels more expensive somehow. It has much the same feel as the end of my vintage Magna.

The packaging is lovely, though I shudder to think of the cost! It is not as completely ridiculous as a Conway Stewart presentation box though and suits what was a pretty expensive pen!

9/10

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6019/6333010794_ac5b40927c.jpg

pen by mcevedy, on Flickr

Weight and Dimensions

Cheating, I use the Onoto figures! Length (capped) 147mm, weight 23g

It is the longest Onoto I have! Slimmer than the Magna but pleasantly broad so in tune with modern tastes.

10/10

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6225/6333087492_a6f84921e8.jpg

nib by mcevedy, on Flickr

Nib and Performance.

Simply the best I have encountered in a new pen. I ordered a stub and it is smooth with wonderful line variation and, when filled with Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, glides over the page. The nib, as mentioned before, is larger than I expected, being similar to a No.5 nib on my 6234. It is two tone 18kt nib with the usual Onoto markings. Afraid the scanner is not available at present but I will post an example when it returns!

10/10

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6231/6333010878_e27cc63dd2.jpg

plunger by mcevedy, on Flickr

Filling System & Maintenance.

Well it is a plunger – hooray! The mechanism is the smoothest plunger I have had. The rod is carbon fibre and the seals new and improved. It should be maintenance free. Compared to my 823 and vintage Magnas, it does have the disadvantage of no ink window so one cannot see how full it is, but the nature of the system is that it holds twice as much ink as a normal CC pen. It has the added benefit of a shut off valve and unlike the vintage Onotos, the ink flow is easy to manage.

9/10

Cost & Value.

Well it wasn’t cheap! If you are a WES member or a previous Onoto customer, you get a discount. I didn’t ask if I could have both! The stub costs extra but in my view is money very well spent. The pen is just released so I feel lucky to get an early number! I am very happy with the price paid. Less than the Overlay 1, but a lot less overlay! One pays for the plunger but I was one who said this was what I wanted – hence

10/10

Conclusion. 9.7/10

This is a great pen – the best filling mechanism for me, all the history of Onoto and a cracking nib. Topped off with a Henry Simpole overlay.This the pen I was hoping for when I heard Onoto was reborn. What more could one desire?

Well….

A complete range of Onoto plunger fillers including Magnas and lots of colours! They did the plunger so definitely worth an ask!

I realise the photos could be better - I'll do better next time!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• esterbex

• PeterBeoworld

• reprieve

• Doug C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review.

The section shape is different from the prototype on display at LWES 2011, and looks a lot more comfortable.

To have the plunger system and a feed that you don't have to think about is an amazing combination. Sounds like an amazing pen. Well done Onoto.

Regards,

Richard.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Comparing pens to cars, specifically Morgans and Minis may be lost on people on this side of the pond. That is, unless they watch Top Gear as I do religiously. I've often wondered if new Morgans are available in the US. Minis are, but they are rubbish. Onoto pens are available too, and based on several reviews posted here are far from rubbish. I'll have to get one, but which one???

Well done, that is one beautiful pen and excellent review. Good to hear that the nib is such an excellent part of the pen. Enjoy !

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

It's a special limited edition, and may even be sold out already. Probably the best thing to do is email Onoto and ask. Also there's an Onoto rep who's a member of the forums here so finding and PM'ing him would be another possibility.

Beautuful!

How do you go about getting a plunger filler? I can't find such a beast on the Onoto wesite. Was this a custom modification by someone else?

Ken

Contact Onoto directly and I am sure they will help - they are extremely friendly and helpful - their customer service is second to none. The nib on my pen is simply wonderful but may be even better than usual as it was a custom ground stub. Having said that, my wife uses her standard Onoto Cambridge model in preference to all her other pens due to nib quality.

There is a 15% discount for members of the WES by the way.

There are 30 units of the plunger available now and another 70 in the New Year. I cannot emphasise enough just how lovely this pen is write with. It feels warm and soft in the hand and glides across the page. The complexity of the filler mechanism appeals in the same way a mechanical watch movement does in that it adds an inner magic to the experience. The fact that this particular model has the glorious overlay as well is the final icing on the cake.

Gorgeous pen. I have a later number with sentimental value reserved.

Out of interest, which nib did you have stubbed (and was it done by John Sorowka, aka FPN's Oxonian)?

Too many pens; too little writing.

One of the options is simply to ask for a stub - the nib itself has no size marking, merely ONOTO 18K 3 inscribed. I think you are however correct that the work is outsourced. I am sure you will be delighted with your pen - I keep finding things to write simply so I can use it!

The new Heritage is still available, although we have sold out the initial production run, so the next batch won't be available until Jan 2012 (not long to wait!)

The information will be available on our website later this week - we wanted our previous customers to have first option!

You may be interested to see what customers are saying about the Heritage so far...

"I am more and more impressed with your plunger pen. The nib is simply the best I have, bettering even my vintage Onotos, and the feel of the pen in one's hand is so natural. What is the pen body made from? It is so warm and soft and feels completely different to my other modern pens."

"Just a quick note to say it has arrived safely and I am absolutely enthralled – well done to you

and the whole team in bringing together such a fantastic writing instrument."

Safe to say we are delighted with the response!

If you can't wait until the info is available at www.onoto.com just drop me an email and I'll send you full details.

post-1426-0-64013100-1321274899.jpg

[...]

You may be interested to see what customers are saying about the Heritage so far...

"I am more and more impressed with your plunger pen. The nib is simply the best I have, bettering even my vintage Onotos, and the feel of the pen in one's hand is so natural. What is the pen body made from? It is so warm and soft and feels completely different to my other modern pens."

"Just a quick note to say it has arrived safely and I am absolutely enthralled – well done to you

and the whole team in bringing together such a fantastic writing instrument."

Safe to say we are delighted with the response!

[...]

:thumbup:

Colour me 'greedy guts' but I think I must too............ :embarrassed_smile:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Ok!

I'll cancel my Christmas vacation in Barbados, and organise the next 70 overlays! :embarrassed_smile:

It looks as though I'm going to be quite busy between now and the New Year!

Truffle Finder, :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Mine should be arriving soon... I hope... I managed to snag one of the first 30!

You are officially a Simpole collector!!! :notworthy1:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Mine should be arriving soon... I hope... I managed to snag one of the first 30!

I'm an enthusiastic admirer! :D

I'm also a huge fan of Onoto. I have a modern Magna with a broad nib that is one of the nicest writers I've ever had the pleasure of using, and the pen itself is built extremely well. I must confess (with no offense whatsoever meant to Henry) that the nib and plunger filling system really sold me on the Heritage. Of course, the overlaid cap is a majorly beautiful bonus! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

I'm an enthusiastic admirer! :D

I'm also a huge fan of Onoto. I have a modern Magna with a broad nib that is one of the nicest writers I've ever had the pleasure of using, and the pen itself is built extremely well. I must confess (with no offense whatsoever meant to Henry) that the nib and plunger filling system really sold me on the Heritage. Of course, the overlaid cap is a majorly beautiful bonus! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

The filling system is what did it for me as far as obtaining a Simpole. I don't fancy c/c's in the least. I was able to witness this one live and in living colour, and it fits my small hand perfectly! :cloud9: I am happy for your treasure trove growth. I don't care about which number in the edition if any, I just want one. :puddle:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

My pen arrived yesterday. It's really, really nice. The plunger filler is one of the best I've used--it's very smooth, easy to depress, the shut-off valve works well, it holds a ton of ink! The nib is fantastic. It's a broad nib, but it's on the narrow side, but it writes so well that I don't mind. Although it's a slender pen, there is just the right amount of girth to make it comfortable in the hand. Of course, Henry's overlaid cap is beautiful. The cap is easy to slip on and off and easy to post--in that regard, it's much more practical than the Overlay No 1 that I handled. The design of this pen is just fantastic. I hope it is released in other materials (a chased pattern similar to that of the Magna 261 would look lovely, hint hint!).