The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Carbon Dream

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Granzon

Granzon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 18:41

Today after I just received my new FP, I realized something.
A while ago I made a thread about purchasing ST Dupont - Defi
in carbon fiber finish, which I did purchased and been very satisfied with it.
A couple weeks ago I also made a thread on which next fountain pen I should buy.
It was either Pelikan - Fire, or ST Dupont - Olympio and Platinum 90th anniversary.
So I chose the second 2 FP choice instead of 1 Pelikan - Fire FP.
So Today the Platinum 90th anniversary arrived. The pen is very light and feels very durable due to the carbon fiber finish. In comparison to Platinum, the Defi is a bit heavier due to the palladium metal, but not overly heavy nor feathery light, just the perfect weight for everyone.
The nib for both pen is very smooth. The Defi nib is steel while the Platinum is 18k. The only difference is that the Platinum pumps out slightly more ink than the Defi. Line width is almost the same as expected since Dupont fine is equivalent to Platinum medium.

Overall I am very satisfied with these 2 FPs. I think I will start collecting FP with carbon fiber finish.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2011 - 17:23

Thanks, I've always thought the Platinum 90g looked nice.

#3 fast14riot

fast14riot

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2011 - 18:05

Be careful, I started down this road and let me tell you, a high carbon fiber diet is not for the faint of heart! For me it was my race boats. Started with various small parts, then sails, then custom parts, then the whole boat, then a custom carbon fiber boat...

It is addicting. But oh so pretty! Amazing what a bunch of nylon fabric can be turned into. A true engineering miracle material.

Titanium has been known to have a similar effect on people.

Very nice pens, btw.

-Xander
Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 spinningtrees

spinningtrees

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 18:15

Carbon fiber would make an interesting and attractive collection. I am drawn to these as well, though I haven't purchased any yet.
the pen is the window into the writer's soul
www.spinningtrees.webuda.com

#5 Granzon

Granzon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 18:15

Be careful, I started down this road and let me tell you, a high carbon fiber diet is not for the faint of heart! For me it was my race boats. Started with various small parts, then sails, then custom parts, then the whole boat, then a custom carbon fiber boat...

It is addicting. But oh so pretty! Amazing what a bunch of nylon fabric can be turned into. A true engineering miracle material.

Titanium has been known to have a similar effect on people.

Very nice pens, btw.

-Xander

Everybody needs at least a little bit of carbon in their life right.

#6 rockspyder

rockspyder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2011 - 18:24

Not to be confused with the Visconti Carbon Dream skeleton - which will make a very appropriate companion to those two beautiful pens. Congrats and enjoy them :thumbup:

#7 Granzon

Granzon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 18:34

Not to be confused with the Visconti Carbon Dream skeleton - which will make a very appropriate companion to those two beautiful pens. Congrats and enjoy them :thumbup:

That pen is v nice, but too bad its a little bit too expensive. Maybe next year. Ooo and lets not forget to add Montegrappa - Alfa Romeo to the carbon fiber list,

Here is a carbon pen i know thats not too expensive: Kaweco carbon

#8 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 18:35

Great pens! Please, make complete reviews of them!
Thanks for sharing!

#9 Mango

Mango

L2K Abuser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:32

Gorgeous. Titanium and CF (done well) are two of my favorite materials.

#10 phrenzy

phrenzy

Graf Von Faber-Castell county citizen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:00

I recently ordered a monteverde invincia in carbon, something tells me it won't be quite as nice as those though!
WTB: the following GvF-C classic FPs (pref. B or OB nib) or rollerballs: platinum plated, gold plated, solid sterling silver, ebony anello and gold anello, PM me!
(also interested in most other GvF-C products in general, i.e any writing tools, leather goods, advertising/packaging)

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|