Pen Article In Today's Wall Street Journal

ftnpenlover

Hi All.

I was not sure if anyone else say the article in Today's Wall Street Journal on Montegrappa's Chaos Pen.

I found it very interesting and also am so excited to see a pen article in the Wall Street Journal. I scanned mine. It was on page A21.

Jared

post-38744-0-92625100-1320853140.jpg

I just read about this in Pen World, and the only thing I could think was that Stallone has just proven again that he has no taste.

I guess "Chaos Pen" fits it, but so does "Magpie Pen" and "Trailer Park Denizen Gets Rich Pen." And now on the Home Shopping Network, the "Rambo goes to Rodeo Drive Pen!"

I guess that I can add that it's always a contest between Stallone and Keanu Reaves for "Most Wooden Performance." I don't think either one of them can act their way out of a paper bag.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American people. :)

Edited by stuartk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• ftnpenlover

• eric47

• stuartk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm actually a little surprised by the comments here. When you see the pen in person, it has very intricate details because of the process to make it. Also, I thought the snakes and skulls, based on the Expendables, was quite interesting. I recently ordered one in Silver for my collection becuase I liked it so much.

Nothing personal, but I just can't agree. I didn't see your post when I started writing mine, so I wasn't directing anything at your personally.

Weren't the Renaissance and Baroque periods known for their heavy and complex ornamentation? That would seem to stand in contrast to the statement about the Renaissance being a more simple time. Maybe I misread. The pen, however, is an abomination. There may be some artistic value to it, but I don't see it. A Harley-Davidson logo wouldn't look out of place among the skulls and snakes. Do not want.

It sounds like quotes on two subjects mashed into one sentence. It happens pretty frequently when you're interviewing someone who has prepared in advance from bullet points or coaching from a PR flack.

You play the tape back and you're stuck quoting verbatim even though you "know" what they meant. Ethically you can't really fix it, so you end up making the subject look a little goofy in print.

My gut feeling is, Fountain Pen = simpler time, Styling = Sly's take on Renaissance.

In a TV or radio interview the listener intuitively breaks apart the responses on the fly and you're less likely to notice the slip.

Cheers, Ted

Edited by Ted Andkilde

It certainly looks chaotic! As much as I admire Stalone for the movies he's been in, I question his artistic preferences in pens.

It looks horrible and there's so much bling (which I hate).

It sounds like quotes on two subjects mashed into one sentence. It happens pretty frequently when you're interviewing someone who has prepared in advance from bullet points or coaching from a PR flack.

Or else he's just a mouth-breather and can't communicate well.

Dear goodness.

I wonder what his house looks like.

Santa Maria! My head hurts thinking about it . . . .

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

Eew. Renaissance, eh ? Definately not a Micheangelo... More like something from a bad Pirat or Vampire movie IMHO. :roflmho: Not my cup of tea.

When I first saw it I thought it was a Chinese pen - it's blingy enough, and doesn't look (at first glance) much different from some Jinhaos.

Regards,

Richard.

It is a Jinchaos. :D Edited by adallak

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

I must be in the minority when I say I actually like it. :ninja: I just bet it would be uncomfortable to hold/write with.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

found this:

http://1.1.1.4/bmi/static.neatorama.com/images/2011-11/sylvester-stallone-pen.jpg

"Du bist die Aufgabe" - Franz Kafka

It looks like something Krone would have done - expensive, hard to make, a wonderful writer, but (generally) ugly. Maybe it is just the scans.

To each his own though.

Edited by PianoMan14

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

Dear goodness.

I wonder what his house looks like.

Acapulco estate

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-07/41193219.jpg

Beverly Hills estate

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Celebrity+Homes+67akPigedOMl.jpg

when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

It looks like something Krone would have done - expensive, hard to make, a wonderful writer, but (generally) ugly. Maybe it is just the scans.

To each his own though.

Naw, I like Krones for the most part and don't like this. :sick:

I'd like to thank Stuartk for dubbing this the Trailer Park Pen. Summed it up beautifully. It definitely resembles bad tattoos I have seen. :wacko:

Very interesting, but an ugly pen...

Mickey Rourke would have matched better..

Now that's funny.

Rick M

fpn_1324576336__aurora-ovoide_65x49.jpg

To each his own though.

Naw, I like Krones for the most part and don't like this. :sick:

I'd like to thank Stuartk for dubbing this the Trailer Park Pen. Summed it up beautifully. It definitely resembles bad tattoos I have seen. :wacko:

I almost made a comment speculating about tattoos similar to this pen, who would have them, and on what part of their anatomy, but it was way beyond inappropriate for this site.

For your first pen, you should buy a Pelikan m200 or a TWSBI 540.

For vintage, get a Parker Vacumatic or a 51.

Once you go Vac, you never go back.

Yes, I've been drinking.

I'm actually a little surprised by the comments here. When you see the pen in person, it has very intricate details because of the process to make it. Also, I thought the snakes and skulls, based on the Expendables, was quite interesting. I recently ordered one in Silver for my collection becuase I liked it so much.

OK, so it's an intricate, well-made and interesting fugly pen.

++

Doesn't appeal to me.