Edison Collier

youstruckgold

FIRST IMPRESSION:

5/5

Oh my! What a beautiful pen! Open the subtle crocodile-esque box and feast your eyes on the stunning acrylic - and the two-tone nib matches just beautifully!

I can't much improve on photos by others here and by Brian, so apart from this next one, the rest are of my pen, but from Brian.

http://gallery.me.com/youstruckgold/100361/IMG_1471/web.jpg?ver=13200671220001

APPEARANCE

5/5

Not a lot more to add from above apart from the wonderful translucence of the Antique Marble. The added bonus here is that the bulb filler means that the variation in this magic opaque marvel of acrylic sorcery is given multiple opportunities to preen in front of its enraptured owner. In this respect, it bears some similarity to the Stipula Vedos, but the Antique Marble somehow wins me over so much more.

WEIGHT AND DIMENSION

4/5

The Collier is a lightish pen. It's a non-poster with good girth (2cm) and largish size (13cm unposted, 15cm with cap on). It's a good length and very comfortable in the hand.

NIB AND PERFORMANCE

3.5/5

I asked Brian to give me a two tone nib and to grind it to a 0.9 cursive italic. He obliged. The nib, is a large one (MB 149 type size), and looks wonderful on the pen. It's early days yet, but during this breaking in period, it's a touch toothy, but working very nicely. With each day it seems to get better and better. If I slow down, there is a nice variation and a touch of flex - nice.

FILLING SYSTEM

4/5

http://gallery.me.com/youstruckgold/100361/IMG_5540/web.jpg?ver=13200672270001

I'm sorry, but someone has to say this and it may as well be me: I'm a genius!

I thought it might be nice to try a bulb filler so I asked Brian to do a bulb filler for me in the Collier and an extended Mira ( a separate review for the Mira on the way). This is a marvellous filling system: and brilliant in its effectiveness and simplicity.

While it takes a little longer to fill; and you need a deep ink-well or bottle, once done (and it's still not that long) your ink seems to never run out!

COST & VALUE

5/5

The Collier is not an expensive pen; and the main production version is available through Richard Binder and Gourlay Pens very reasonably. Mine has been customised by Brian and even then, was definitely a value proposition.

Add to the above, Brian's commitment to buff any scratch free of charge and be available to deal with any issues, makes this review just another testament to his excellent product and outstanding service.

http://gallery.me.com/youstruckgold/100361/IMG_5539/web.jpg?ver=13200672270001

CONCLUSION

It's not often when the photo sent by the merchandiser pales by comparison to the real thing; but this is what happened this time. Brian's pics are great. His pens; greater...and getting better all the time. Add to this, the wonderfully generous ink capacity of the bulb-filler, its simplicity and the impact of segmenting the acrylic for the bulb filler sending the pen's translucent shine to a variety of angles, and you have, to use the Australian vernacular, a little ripper!

TOTAL SCORE: 26.5/30 (or 87/100)

 0-50 = to be avoided at all costs

 51-60 = if it's cheap and you don't really care….

 61-70 = a nice pen with the makings of something better (just don't spend too much)

 71-80 = A better than average pen with just a few flaws that stop it from being really good

 81-90 = A good pen, a keeper only a few minor places off being great

 91-95 = Now THIS is a pen! If you can get it: keep it, love it, cherish it, and keep it away from the dog

 96-100 = Grail

Edited by youstruckgold

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• youstruckgold

• jotterius

• Fabienne

I am going to get an Edison one day, when I am sure of my preferences. I have my eye on one at the moment. Your review was excellent, I give you an "A"! Thanks for it.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I met Brian on Sunday and talked to him a bit while looking over his pens. That Antique Marble material is very handsome. The Persimmon Swirl and the Emerald (which is used on the Hudson model) also stood out IMO.

I like the shape of the Collier better, but the Emerald resin is really attractive too. Decisions, decisions...

There were a lot of other attractive resins too, but these happened to be the ones I zeroed in on.

Edited by stuartk

Thank you for the review :)

I just got my Collier in Antique Marble (regular C/C Eyedropper model) delievered a few hours ago, Beautiful pen indeed.

The Antique Marble is a lovely material. Although it's an acrylic, it looks like it has the depth of a celluloid.

Well done, and isn't it nice to deal with a human being too...........instead of sales at a boutique or a so called leisure goods company. Thanks

Nice looking pen.

I have 3 Edisons (Urushi LE Pearl, New Mexico Pen Club pen) and a lavender ebonite Huron with the bulb filler (I also did a review on it sometime back).

Mine has a clear mid-section so I can actually see it filling up. You're right, it is fun and almost holds more ink than I want since I tend to change out pens often. (good thing Brian is a lot younger than I am since by the time the bulb filling mechanism will need replacement I will have assumed room temperature..).

Since you can't see the ink level, does it seem to take a long time to fill, or can you see the level through the resin?

the Danitrio Fellowship

Nice looking pen.

I have 3 Edisons (Urushi LE Pearl, New Mexico Pen Club pen) and a lavender ebonite Huron with the bulb filler (I also did a review on it sometime back).

Mine has a clear mid-section so I can actually see it filling up. You're right, it is fun and almost holds more ink than I want since I tend to change out pens often. (good thing Brian is a lot younger than I am since by the time the bulb filling mechanism will need replacement I will have assumed room temperature..).

Since you can't see the ink level, does it seem to take a long time to fill, or can you see the level through the resin?

Can't really see through the resin unless there's a light behind it. The way to tell it's filed is that when you squeeze and no more bubbles are coming through. ANd though it's longer than a c/c, it's a matter of seconds difference only.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

You make me want one of these. Stop that! happyberet.gif

I really like how the lines in the pen are broken up because of the bulb filler. Gives the pen more depth. Hope that made sense.

The Antique Marble is a lovely material. Although it's an acrylic, it looks like it has the depth of a celluloid.

Yes, an example of how acrylics aren't all that bad! Some, IMHO, are quite impressive.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Fantastic review!! Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Excellent review indeed!! Very beautiful pen and yes, thanks for showing.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

I have been drooling over that very exact pen for some time now. Just waiting for an occasion to pull the trigger. Thanks for the excellent review. Been waiting to hear from an actual user.

Nice looking pen.

Can't really see through the resin unless there's a light behind it. The way to tell it's filed is that when you squeeze and no more bubbles are coming through. ANd though it's longer than a c/c, it's a matter of seconds difference only.

Thanks.

BTW, I forgot to mention: great review and fantastic photos. I wish I had that kind of talent.

It makes the pen almost edible...

the Danitrio Fellowship

just awesome :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Excellent review. Indeed, these are great pens. I now own one, and might get a second. That is, if my wife let's me. ::unsure:

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg