Lamy Safari, Pilot Prera Comparison

cake2le

Some extra samples, the Lamy F was written twice (first and last line), the first line came out a little lighter than it usually does.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/6333495382_e8b73ed708_z.jpg

20111110_18-1 by myyrkezaan, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6047/6333495732_8d0a3de994_z.jpg

20111110_25-1 by myyrkezaan, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6114/6332743177_450cf086e1_z.jpg

20111110_13-1 by myyrkezaan, on Flickr

Edited by myyrkezaan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cake2le

• myyrkezaan

• watch_art

• crunchmaster

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Myyrkezaan, thanks so much for the extra samples. Your handwriting is so neat! You have a great collection! May I ask what type of paper you use? The lines come out so crisp.

Do you ever have any flow problems with the Prera <F> nibs?

Myyrkezaan, thanks so much for the extra samples. Your handwriting is so neat! You have a great collection! May I ask what type of paper you use? The lines come out so crisp.

Do you ever have any flow problems with the Prera <F> nibs?

Thanks for the compliment on my handwriting, I'm still working on it.

I have almost every color, missing a couple of the clear solid tips.

Circa Rhodia Annotation, just happened to be what I grabbed. I should have done another sample on one of my other notebooks, there is more of a differential.

Not with those that you see inked and the inks that are in them. Some of them seem a little gushier and ink gets in the cap, which gets on the end when posted which then gets on my fingers :). But it's always the same ones and it doesn't always happen, might be the way I'm handling it or putting on the cap. Not that big of a problem so I've never bothered to see why.

EDIT:

Forgot to add that I do have the Al-Star and Nexx M, but those currently have 1.1 and 1.5 nibs. Not much difference between the Safari and the Al-Star to me. I give the nod to the Nexx for feel, the grip is more comfortable.

Edited by myyrkezaan

I LOVE those Prera demonstrators, but they're pretty expensive here (you could pick up 3 or so Safaris for the price).

FWIW, I slightly prefer the Al-Star for "feel" - the metal does make it seem like a more substantial pen, somehow.

FWIW, I slightly prefer the Al-Star for "feel" - the metal does make it seem like a more substantial pen, somehow.

+1

I have sweaty fingers, and the ABS plastic of the Safaris makes for a somewhat slippery grip. The Al-Star's barrel is slightly wider, and the metal has just enough texture. Then again, I'm not a fan of the tripod grip which I feel exacerbates the slipperiness, so grip my Safaris, Al-Stars, and pretty much any pen way far away from the nib. On the Safaris and Al-Stars, my fingers rest on the barrel just between the plastic section and the ink window. I'm a serial poster which helps balance my high grip.

Don't know about legal issues, but has anyone ever manufactured a round, textured section for Safaris or Al-Stars as an aftermarket solution? I'd break the bank for that.

The Prera looks nice. Might have to try one sometime.

Edited by fourseamer

I had issues with my Prera being finicky and dry. We almost parted ways, but a good rinse with the smallest amount of mild soap and we were wet, wild and ready to go :happyberet:

I have sweaty fingers, and the ABS plastic of the Safaris makes for a somewhat slippery grip. The Al-Star's barrel is slightly wider, and the metal has just enough texture. Then again, I'm not a fan of the tripod grip which I feel exacerbates the slipperiness, so grip my Safaris, Al-Stars, and pretty much any pen way far away from the nib. On the Safaris and Al-Stars, my fingers rest on the barrel just between the plastic section and the ink window. I'm a serial poster which helps balance my high grip.

I've a very vague recollection of some safaris having a textured plastic (not the section though) finish, although I can't remember where I think I saw that. Does anyone else remember it, or am I just confused?

EDIT: Mentioned here - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22180-lamy-safari-colours/page__hl__lamy+safari+textured

Edited by John the Monkey

I had issues with my Prera being finicky and dry. We almost parted ways, but a good rinse with the smallest amount of mild soap and we were wet, wild and ready to go :happyberet:

What kind of soap do you recommend rinsing with? My Prera has been acting up this week.

I've a very vague recollection of some safaris having a textured plastic (not the section though) finish, although I can't remember where I think I saw that. Does anyone else remember it, or am I just confused?

EDIT: Mentioned here - http://www.fountainp...safari+textured

I don't have the current Charcoal Safari, but Lamy USA photo's suggest that the grip is textured like the body.

see bottom pics.

http://www.lamyusa.com/lamy_fountain_L17_safari.php

Savannah Green, and Terracotta were textured. I recall Haywoody? may have had a textured white? These are early discontinued models.

As far as the cracks go, I think it may have something to do with how I carry it in my side pocket. My suspicion is that stress placed on it when I walk, sit, or bend my legs must be putting pressure in the wrong area. I think the area of the pen wouldn't hurt to be a little more solid there, but if you're not going to be putting it in a place like that it's probably fine.

Yes, I agree that putting a pen into your pants pocket subjects it to extra stress. I think the clip on a Safari is for shirt/jacket pockets, not pants pockets.

I've never thought putting a pen into pants pockets is a good idea.

I've had Safaris for over 15 years and never had a problem, but then they travel in a shirt pocket or clipped to a divider in a briefcase.

gary

Nice review. Now I want to do a review, too! I just got into The Cult of Lamy, thanks to the good folks here. the Joy was my first and it came with an italic nib. I was forced to use Osmiroids when I was growing up and this Lamy just makes the Osmiroid feel like writing with a pointed stick. Real smooth and very obedient. the body almost feels squishy as I write and it's a very pleasant experience. Great wet smooth well behaved, what's not to like in a reasonably priced pen.

Of course I went on to own more. Moar! Every one was a winner until I encountered the Al Star and it had a nib which just skipped. I was mildly horrified and tried the soapy water routine, the ultrasonic bath in one drop of Dawn. Nope, it was skippy. then I bought another nib from Goulet and it writes like a dream. I just think there was some micro thing wrong with the nib which came with it.

Of my recent buys, I love the TWSBI and Lamy pens. They are smooth writers and I say this even though I have done the paper bag trick on them and that helped even more. (Thank you Bo Bo Olson).

Lamy is my go-to pen. It's just so much fun to be with. TWSBI, too, hard to be monogamous with all this goodness around.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Horseknitter, I'm curious if you had any of the cracking problems with your Safari or Al Star. I was considering trying an Al Star because I thought the metal construction might hold up better... but then again, I am kind of a sucker for white things (if you didn't notice) and the Al Star didn't come in white. If you're looking for a new pen you should totally try the prera. After going through two Safari's myself, it was nice to try something different.

No cracking problems so far. But I have 50 (+ -) pens and my small rotation keeps the usage level of each down. Also when I carry a pen I use a case or some kind of wrap to protect even my inexpensive pens.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of a Safari cracking, but if you look at the section threads, the plastic isn't that thick there. I'm not surprised that repeated pocket stress eventually cracks it. None of mine have cracked, but I don't carry them in my pocket, either.

I like my ivory Prera. I swapped the nib with an "M" italic from a Plumix--I figured it deserved a bit of a fancier nib. It tends to be a bit dry, but Heart of Darkness flows pretty well in it, and I expect Midway Blue will too. Kiowa Pecan also looks nice with the ivory body.

I've never heard of a Safari cracking, but if you look at the section threads, the plastic isn't that thick there. I'm not surprised that repeated pocket stress eventually cracks it. None of mine have cracked, but I don't carry them in my pocket, either.

I like my ivory Prera. I swapped the nib with an "M" italic from a Plumix--I figured it deserved a bit of a fancier nib. It tends to be a bit dry, but Heart of Darkness flows pretty well in it, and I expect Midway Blue will too. Kiowa Pecan also looks nice with the ivory body.

The section is a bit weaker on the Safari. I wouldn't carry my pens in my side pocket if I could help it, but a lot of times I really don't have anywhere else. I guess I was just disappointed since the Safari is often plugged as a rugged, throw around pen.

I've never had trouble with Prera writing dry. However, with the M nib sometimes the first stroke skips. After that through it writes like a charm. I recently bought a 78g with an F nib and put it on my Prera. Now I have no skipping issues ever. Strangely enough the M nib which is now on the 78g behaves better than it did on the Prera. I guess it's a win-win.

What's really bothering me now is that if the Plumix, 78g, and Prera all have the same nibs and feeds, and they all write pretty much the same, then why does the Prera cost 5 times as much? The Prera obviously has a more attractive design and higher build quality. However, I really don't see the nicer plastic really driving the price up $40. I would think a higher price would mostly come from higher quality feeds and nibs. Strange?

I own and enjoy both a safari and an al-star but I really like the way the writing sample of the prera looks...although if the plumix is really as cheap as implied I might tr and track one own today and try that first...

Excellent review, thanks!

Edited by phrenzy

WTB: the following GvF-C classic FPs (pref. B or OB nib) or rollerballs: platinum plated, gold plated, solid sterling silver, ebony anello and gold anello, PM me!

(also interested in most other GvF-C products in general, i.e any writing tools, leather goods, advertising/packaging)

photo-77650.jpg?__rand=0.32259700+1322887954

I own and enjoy both a safari and an al-star but I really like the way the writing sample of the prera looks...although if the plumix is really as cheap as implied I might tr and track one own today and try that first...

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Penmanship-Plumix-Fountain-Pen-Series/ct/856

These have extra fine and flat italic nibs. I might get one of each so I can have them in my Prera too. Wish I could just buy those nibs somewhere.

http://www.jetpens.c...n-Series/ct/856

These have extra fine and flat italic nibs. I might get one of each so I can have them in my Prera too. Wish I could just buy those nibs somewhere.

A little bit cheaper on Amazon.