Visconti Van Gogh Impressionist Starry Night

Mhawke7894

Okay, this is my first review, so any feedback you could give would be appreciated. Also, I never got one of the old pre-2008 Van goghs, so I have no idea how they compare.

First Impressions:(8/10) I had been anxiously waiting for this pen for about a week after I ordered it from Pen Time (not affiliated, but very happy.) I got the notice that it had arrived on my email, and was really disappointed when I got home late to the infamous "Sorry We Missed You" note from the post office. Long story short I got it the next day and was quite pleased. The box is a simple, and relatively small box at about 8 inches long. It is pleather on the outside with the Visconti logo imbedded in it. It looks very classy. I get a little ticked when pen companies make enormous boxes with a few books and a bottle of ink your afraid to open tossed inside, so I was glad Visconti had chosen to go with this simpler approach. The lid had a picture of the actual Starry Night painting on it. I was a little disappointed in it, as it looked very badly pixelated and the colors were off. For an extra $2 they could have gone down to Kinko's and done a much better job. Oh well, as I say I don't even take those things into account. When I opened it up the pen looked much blue-er than I expected. This is not a bad thing at all, I just expected more orange and red in there.

Finish: (9/10) Like I just said I expected based off the publicity photo's that there would be great streaks or red and gold all over this pen. I should say that I am under the impression that each pen has a unique finish, so this may not be true for everyone, but on mine it is a mostly blue pen with a few dabs of color. I think this makes it look very nice. It is a more refined look, and it is more in line with the actual look of the painting. I keep saying this is a blue pen, but that is very misleading. There are all sorts of shades of blue on this pen ranging from darkest indigo, to almost green! I could go on and on about the finish for days, but these are the big points. I think it is by far and away the most beautiful pen I have ever seen.

Design: (10/10) This is not an enormous pen. Instead it is a pen that is supposed to be comfortable to write with for long periods. It is a bit longer and a bit wider than my Parker Sonnet. More specifically, I would say it is about the same length as a Lamy 2000. It has the sort of length that just makes it comfortable to use for a few hours. The faceted design is really nice. I think it helps bring out the colors in the pen, and it feels nice to hold. At the same time, it doesn't feel especially unusual, like some of the other faceted pens out there. I know a lot of people are mad about the metal section. It doesn't phase me in the slightest. It is less slippery than the lacquer section on some pens I have, and I like the way it warms as I write. If you truly hate metal sections, though, don't get it. It has not been weighted down with metal inserts or anything, but I would still classify it as a medium weight pen. The magnetic closing system it uses to secure the cap is really fun! I one of those people who just likes snapping it open and closed periodically. It does close securely and I am not at all worried about the cap coming loose. It feels top heavy to me when posted, but most pens do. All in all I would not change a thing.

Nib: (9/10) A lot of people think that this should have come with a gold nib for it's price. I will just say that the worst nib I have ever used was a gold Visconti nib on a regular edition Wall Street, so I do not buy the argument that gold nibs are inherently better. The steel nib it comes with does not have any flex to it, but if you can line up 5 pens made in the last 5 years that do without trying I will eat my hat. It is the best nib I have. I got a fine nib, because I am always taking notes in class on lined paper. The pen writes like it is skating over glass. I am actively coming up with reasons to use it I love it so much. I would not mistake it for a medium nib, but it is a wet write. However, it does this without being annoying and feathering all the time.

Filling System: (10/10) You can only get these in C/C, and for me that's just fine. I only use cartridges, as no matter how careful I am with exotic fillers, they always end up leaking into the cap. I am not sure if I was born under a bad sign or what, but cartridges are just easier. Since I use fountain pens in class I just find it easier to be able to quickly put fresh ink in my pens without carrying around a giant glass bottle in my backpack.

Cost: (7/10) The one thing that Visconti messed up with this pen is the price. I was very fortunate and got this from Pen Time for $207 shipped. This is by far and away the best price I have seen out there for a new one (once again not affiliated.) Generally if you go anywhere else you should expect to pay between $220-275 for it. I think Visconti should have put this in the $150-175 price bracket, but that might just be me being miserly. I would certainly buy this pen again if I had to.

And here are some pictures. I'm sorry that they're not especially nice :embarrassed_smile: If anyone else want to post their own, that would be great.

post-52512-0-70413800-1320627200.jpg

post-52512-0-60872500-1320627213.jpg

post-52512-0-04829600-1320627224.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mhawke7894

• raging.dragon

• BadHobbit

• Newbie07

Cool, thanks for sharing. This seems the little brother to the older Van Goghs, are the older ones still available? I have one that writes like a dream, especially with Noodler's Navy. It is one of the few pens with a metal section that I can stand.

The Starry Night is a pretty pen. Oh, and Bryant (aka Pentime or Chatterly Pens) usually has the best prices. That and excellent customer service are why so many of here like to buy from him. :)

Cool, thanks for sharing. This seems the little brother to the older Van Goghs, are the older ones still available? I have one that writes like a dream, especially with Noodler's Navy. It is one of the few pens with a metal section that I can stand.

I believe the Rembrandt might be closer match for the old Van Gogh?

I believe the Rembrandt might be closer match for the old Van Gogh?

The Rembrandt is like the old Van Gogh Midi size. The Maxi is bigger. I think this new Van Gogh is similar in size to the Rembrandt and old Van Gogh midi.

Van Gogh Maxi - older one was rounded from the top and the new ones have a flat shape on the cap and the bottom, The nib size is bigger and writes super smooth. A store here in mumbai (India) has couple of pieces available.

A great pen and a great review to compliment.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

Nice review. I've been looking at one of these, but was wondering if the price was too high, like you mention. I haven't decided yet, but your review was very helpful. Thanks.

Edited by randyman13

A life directed chiefly toward fulfillment of personal desires sooner or later always leads to bitter disappointment. -Einstein

Beautiful pen. I have a Visconti HS---and I am intrigued by the unusual (though sometimes over-the-top) designs.

As for practicality, I really like the clip design.

This review helped push me over the edge! The local pen shop got in one of each of the Van Gogh's, all in Medium nib.

I went with the intention of LOOKING at the Sunflower. I left BUYING the Room At Arles.

An impressive pen, and I share the observation of the OP. Wow!

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased this as my first fountain pen! Was it a crazy choice for a newbie?

Not at all. It is a quality made pen with a fantastic nib. An excellent choice.

I just purchased this as my first fountain pen! Was it a crazy choice for a newbie?

Not at all. It is a quality made pen with a fantastic nib. An excellent choice.

Definetly. It's probably one of the nicer pens in it's price range.

• 2 months later...

I've been enjoying mine for over a month now, the nib compares to my Lamy 2000 in smoothness, I find it really comfortable. I personally don't have any problems with a steel grip section and I would guess that you couldn't have a magnetic cap with something metal to grab on to.

The only thing I found disappointing is that it doesn't really post very well, I don't get a nice positive feel that the cap will stay on the pen, too bad the magnet couldn't work from the other direction :roflmho:

One other thing, I'm really afraid that if I see the other colors in this series I'll have to get them, I love the Blue of Starry Night, but I could easily get along with Yellow and Red :drool:

Very comprehensive review. I just purchased the pen which was reviewed. I do think that it is over priced as Visconti is in increasing their market share.

great review and thanks for sharing! I love that texture on the barrel and cap; how it interprets one of Van Gogh's masterpiece. :thumbup:

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• 3 months later...

nice review, each Starry Night has its own unique whirl of colours which is what makes this fountain pen special.