Sheaffer Imperial Ii Deluxe Touchdown Repair

drwright

Hello,

I wasn't sure whether I should post this here or in the Repair Q&A section, so I figured I would try here first, since it's probably the best place to come for Sheaffer knowledge.

I recently purchased a Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe Touchdown filler on eBay, and the pen came in great cosmetic shape. However, it does not fill. I took the touchdown mechanism apart, and the sac appears good and soft. If I simply squeeze the sac when the nib is immersed in water, it draws up water just fine. The Touchdown mechanism does not work, however, and I'm wondering if some of the O-rings may need replaced. The rubber stopper in the blind cap seems fairly pliable, as does the O-ring at the back part of the barrel. Is there anything else that could be causing the pen to not fill when I depress the plunger, or are the seals likely to blame? If so, which ones? If I should get some replacement seals, where is the best place to get them?

Thanks!

post-72980-0-40691600-1320535049.jpg

post-72980-0-82291100-1320535104.jpg

post-72980-0-96958600-1320535169.jpg

post-72980-0-28714600-1320535268.jpg

post-72980-0-76866500-1320535279.jpg

post-72980-0-97992000-1320535289.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drwright

• ticoun

• Happy Harry

• jar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From a practical point, if it does not fill then it's losing pressure. It can lose pressure through the O-ring pictured, around the barrel threads , the seal in the blind cap or a crack. All or which you have looked at!! The most likely "culprit" is the o-ring, do you have some silicone grease? If so try some on the TD plunger (you can also put some on the other possible leakage areas), if it then fills replace the O-ring at some stage. If you haven't any silicone grease a bit of water will suffice to check the O-ring. You can also check the barrel threads for leaks by putting it in water as well. If nothing shows up as the cause, with the plunger extended put the lot underwater and give a quick plunge and see where the air comes out!! You do have to take it apart after and dry it out.

Even if still pliable, I find that o-rings have generally flattened out over the years into more of a d-ring. Even a late issue like that one is at least 35 years old, and that's long enough on one o-ring. I wouldn't discount trouble elsewhere (stealthy crack in the barrel, air passing at the section threads, leak in the sac...), but the o-ring I'd replace as a matter of simple policy.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

are you sure you still have the little rubber washer that goes between the blind cap and touchdown tube? if you don't have it, all the pressure is gonna escape by the blind cap screw.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Thanks for all the advice!

I managed to get the O-ring out of the barrel, and the o-ring cracked when I was doing it! So, I think it was due for a replacement! My question now is: what size O-ring do I need? Pendemonium seems to have everything I would need, but I'm just wondering exactly what size to get?

http://www.pendemonium.com/penrepair.htm#parts

From the site, should I get the small size o-ring? Are the white closure washers the ones that would fit in the blind cap? What size pen sac do I need? I was thinking I might as well get a replacement washer and sac if I'm going to order and replace the o-ring anyway).

Also, does anyone know if a local auto or hardware store would carry o-rings that would fit in the barrel? If they do, I could go replace that right away, and see if the pen fills well with just an o-ring replacement.

Thanks!

Small O-rings, they are a unique size. you also need silicone grease. A size 15 sac, I've only ever used off cuts from the sac to seal the end cap but if correct those washers would be ideal.

Thanks Harry!

One more thing: I noticed the metal cap has quite a bit of corrosion inside of it (I also have an old Sheaffer Valiant that has a similar problem). What is the best way to clean up the inside of a corroded metal cap?

post-72980-0-85413300-1320618904.jpg

the white washers you saw on pendemonium are for sealing the packing unit in sheaffer Vac-fills. there is no pre made replacement for the blind cap washer. just use a bit of sac and pierce a hole in it with a pin.

for the cap, i'd use a very fine steel wool.

Edited by ticoun

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-