Pelikan M1000 Or M800

jmmp

Hello,

I am thinking to buy a Pelikan M1000 or M800. Both are bigger. I have a MB 149 M nib and I am thinking to buy Pelikan's top Souverän line. However I am undecided between M, B, 0B. All my pens are M and F nib. Are B and OB nibs good to use everyday? Both are smooth?

just to guide myself, nibs size (line size, when you write) are equal in all type of Pelikan models? Just an ex.: Pelikan M215 F nib is equal to M1000 F nib?

Best Regards,

João Poças

Edited by jmmp

"Life is simple - You make choices and you don't look back"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmmp

• wspohn

• Ghost Plane

• Malcy

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both M1000 and 149s. Unfortunately, the oblique nibs in the Pelikan line don't seem to have the line variation of the MB pens and the B will be blobby as it is a round nib as opposed to the stubbish quality of the MB B nib.

If you like 149s, get the M1000. An M800 is comparable to a MB 146.

The Pelikan nibs are nice and wet and springy. They just don't have the extra definition of the Montblanc nibs of similar size, once you get into the B and larger. They're still very good, but if I were upgrading to a B nib for the first time, I'd start with the MB B as I think you'd enjoy it more than the round-tipped Pel.

For an opposing point of view, look up Sam Capote's lovely comparison of the O3B nibs in both brands.

Both brands are excellent and very good pens, so if you have the opportunity to try before you buy, please do.

The Pelikan M-1000 nib is very very different from the Pelikan M-800 nib. I have both and use them in rotation as office pens.

The M-1000 nib, due to its enormous length, it wonderfully springy with even the lightest pressure. The M-800 nib is stiff - very stiff. The M-1000 nib is larger and more springy than the MB 149 nib - the M-800 nib is similarly stiff compared to the MB 146.

For the office, I prefer a 0.8 - 0.9 mm Cursive Italic custom Nibmeister re-grind with a wet flow. For social use outside the office, and for signatures I use pens with a 1.1 mm Cursive Italic nib and a wetness setting of 8/10.

To estimate the line width needed to give your handwriting a classically proportionate look, write out the alphabet in small case letters, using your normal sized handwriting - the size in which you write most often. Then circle the miniscules. Miniscules are small case letters without ascenders or descenders: a,c,e,m,n,o,r,s,u,v,w,x

Carefully measure the height of each miniscule in millimeters and average the series.

Divide the average height of your Miniscules by 5 to get the line width (not nib width) of the nib that should produce classically proportionate handwriting without filling in your loops.

If you like a bolder handwriting, add 0.2 mm to the calculation. If you like a finer look - or for math and science exponents and subscripts, subtract 0.2 mm.

Remember this calculation applies to line width, not nib width - because nibs of the same width but differing shapes can lay down lines of differing width.

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

I have an M800, it is a nice pen and plenty big enough if you have smallish hands. Do bear in mind that it is considerably heavier than the MB's. The M1000 will be heftier still.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

I don't post ...so all three are close as to length...800 and 149 have same body+ section length, the 1000 is slightly longer. The 1000's nib is springy, but vintage 149 nib is flexier, not a real word, than the 1000's. 800 is stiffer & is as smooth as the other two. So it all comes down to...just pick one...u can't go to far off with any of these pens. Nibs for the 1000 are more expensive. I've a beautiful IB on my 800...almost crisp. The B for the 800 & 1000 are stub variants. If u really want something cool have RB...or someone custom grind a nib for u....for either pen.

I find modern B to be very wide. My vintage B and OB are writing nibs, not signature nibs.

Writing my seven letter last name, with vintage nibs that tend to be sharper ground and a tad thinner, and have a bit more flex than modern regular.

EF was 1/2 a letter smaller than F.

F was 1/2 a letter smaller than M.

M was 1/2 a letter smaller than B.

That is not a lot of difference.

I have a modern MB B that measures BB on Richard's chart.

I had fat M on it originally; that was the B I was looking for on poor paper, which how ever was a M on good paper.

I have a Pelikan 605 BB that is BB 1/2.

So what is your idea of what a B width is? Is it a writing nib, or a signature nib?

Unless you are left handed, I think modern obliques are a waste of metal; unless you hold your pen crooked. Many do.

Compared to real nibs; vintage ones with a bit of flex, modern oblique does not give much line variation.

I have 8 pens from OBB, OB, OM and OF in semi-flex and 'flexi'. I really like them.

I had a modern nail OB, that was a waste of gold.

I would suggest buying a 400NN with semi-flex or maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' nib in B or OB. I have one with a 'flexi' OF that is a dream.

I have a very nice OB Pelikan 140 that is a grand nib.

So I suggest telling whom ever you are buying your modern nibbed pen from you want a skinny B...that might get you a nib that you can write with.

I suggest not getting a modern oblique nib.

If you decide to get a 800, all that have both say a '80's 800 has a much better nib.

I have only had a 80's 800 come through my hands on transit. I liked that springy nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Oh thank you!

And if I buy Pelikan M800 1.5 mm italic nib? It have some line variation. However should I ask to round the edges into a "stub nib" to have a easier write? Or it is not necessary? I just saw this video

and some questions appear. Edited by jmmp

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

As I wrote in our PM's, the M1000 is unlike any other Pelikan M200-M800, and over the last 4 months, I have now bought 3 of them. My original black OBBB, then a green Fine, then another black in XF nib, and finally I have an order in with Mottishaw to custom grind a 4th nib only as Broad ==> Custom Italic which I will likely put in place of the Fine.

Oh, and I have all 3 of them filled, and neither of my MB 149's filled (even though they are perfectly wonderful themselves.)

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

As I wrote in our PM's, the M1000 is unlike any other Pelikan M200-M800, and over the last 4 months, I have now bought 3 of them. My original black OBBB, then a green Fine, then another black in XF nib, and finally I have an order in with Mottishaw to custom grind a 4th nib only as Broad ==> Custom Italic which I will likely put in place of the Fine.

Oh, and I have all 3 of them filled, and neither of my MB 149's filled (even though they are perfectly wonderful themselves.)

(

Yes, I understood. I am thinking to buy one M800 red strips italic for Christmas because I found a beautiful price, a beautiful color and after, If I like italic, I'll buy a broad nib or upgrade to M1000 (nibs are better, of course) and buy a broad nib to ask an expert to change to cursive italic. I am in Portugal and I need to send the pen to John Mottishaw in California loool.

Thank you. As I said, your explanation was brilliant. I finally understood that thing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Owning two m1000s, I can tell you that they are superb writers

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I bought an M1005 on a bit of a whim (I got a fantastic deal on it) expecting to find it large and cumbersome. I was pleasantly surprised to find it perfectly balanced and lighter than the M800. The nibs are also flexible due to their size, so they feel very different from an 800. Between the nibs, I think my M1005 is the slight favorite over the M800 14k nibs, and a clear favorite over the M800 18ks.

I have several M800's and love them. They are the perfect size and the nibs write like a dream. I had an M1000 and just couldn't deal with it. I loved the size, but the nib was a complete watering can. I even had it worked on by a prominent nib meister and I was told such is life with an M1000.

Just got an M1000 and I love it. It doesn't feel large to me. My boss at work is a female with smallish hands and found the size fine. The nib is broad (very) but I would not say that it is springy. Perhaps I am too used to flexy Swans and Wahl Eversharps .I had a MB 149 and it just doesn't compare. :cloud9:

(

Yes, I understood. I am thinking to buy one M800 red strips italic for Christmas because I found a beautiful price, a beautiful color and after, If I like italic, I'll buy a broad nib or upgrade to M1000 (nibs are better, of course) and buy a broad nib to ask an expert to change to cursive italic. I am in Portugal and I need to send the pen to John Mottishaw in California loool.

Thank you. As I said, your explanation was brilliant. I finally understood that thing :)

You could get your nibs done by John Sorowka (Oxonian on FPN) in the UK. He is very good.

i bought a m1000 (f nib) in september but sold it again in october because the nib was way too wet for me.

i also have a older style m800 with a m nib and prefer this nib more (it is more firm than the m1000). i do like the size of the m1000 better than the m800.

i have had a m1000 marguerite LE (classic pens) with a EF nib, this was not a wet writer and i loved it. unfortunately i have traded this pen some years ago...

try both in a store, i think that's the best way to compare them.

good luck.

Lennard

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

i bought a m1000 (f nib) in september but sold it again in october because the nib was way too wet for me.

i also have a older style m800 with a m nib and prefer this nib more (it is more firm than the m1000). i do like the size of the m1000 better than the m800.

i have had a m1000 marguerite LE (classic pens) with a EF nib, this was not a wet writer and i loved it. unfortunately i have traded this pen some years ago...

try both in a store, i think that's the best way to compare them.

good luck.

Lennard

You could have changed the feeder to decrease the ink flow. It's not hard to do, or even sent to a nibmeister.

Edited by fabrimedeiros

If you want the top of the production line go with the M 1000. A very charismatic writing instrument.

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)