• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurcho

• nicholasyeo

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Add me to the list of careful users whose VP Stealth finish has discolored and chipped. Is there ANY news on what Pilot plans to do about this issue?

Add me to the list of careful users whose VP Stealth finish has discolored and chipped. Is there ANY news on what Pilot plans to do about this issue?

I was told by a retailer here in Singapore that the VP in Matte Black isn't coming in anymore or that they don't have any shipments incoming... Perhaps they know this problem. Not that it is being discontinued, but there is a possibility that the Japanese are working on refinements to the matte black finish. There is no reason for a pen like the VP to become brassed, especially when users like myself and many others take care of the pen very well. Even a cheap 20 dollar Lamy has flawless matte black finish. Or say, the CP1, which has a lovely lacquered finish. On that note, sellers online aren't selling the pen really high as well, so it's probably the right time to strike if you don't mind the aesthetic problems...

Edited by nicholasyeo

I've been using my Blue Carbonesque in medium for over a year and a half now. I refill my cartridges, and find that mine writes fairly wet. I bought the pen from Richard Binder, though, so that might explain the flow.

However, I find that it writes dry on most Noodlers inks. I've tried Bulletproof Black, HoD and blue Eel. All of them tend to make the pen write dryly. Mont Blanc Royal Blue works very well, but Iroshizuku Tsuyu Kusa is just fabulous.

Guy

I've been using my Blue Carbonesque in medium for over a year and a half now. I refill my cartridges, and find that mine writes fairly wet. I bought the pen from Richard Binder, though, so that might explain the flow.

However, I find that it writes dry on most Noodlers inks. I've tried Bulletproof Black, HoD and blue Eel. All of them tend to make the pen write dryly. Mont Blanc Royal Blue works very well, but Iroshizuku Tsuyu Kusa is just fabulous.

Guy

Hey there Denix,

How do you like the Carbonesque, and do you prefer the blue or the black now you've got one?

Also, how is the finish holding up to wear? As you can see in this review, the Matte Black is baddddd

I SO want one of these. I have a blue VP from a couple years back that's sold me on them. The ink capacity is a bit light, but that just means you can try out more inks, faster. :)

The nib performs very well and is quite "plush" (springy) compared to most all other pens I've tried. I did have a squeaky broad experience though and ended up swapping for a medium. Problem solved (especially after writing with it for a while).

Guy

Hey there Denix,

How do you like the Carbonesque, and do you prefer the blue or the black now you've got one?

Also, how is the finish holding up to wear? As you can see in this review, the Matte Black is baddddd

I have the blue Carbonesque. I find that it's a nicer color than the black. It looks better in real life than in pictures I find, a nice rich blue. In hand, it feels good, with a little bit of give. Not a plastic feel, nor a rubber one, but something in between. The finish is holding up very well. No dents or marks on the carbonesque at all, and I carry it every other day on average (I rotate with my Lamy 2K). I don't baby it, and will often carry it in my pocket, so I'm quite pleased with how it holds up. I'm a bit hyperactive so I'm always twirling it in my fingers so I drop it 5-6 times a day on average, although almost always on a carpet.

I mangled the nib once. I was carrying it in my front jeans pocket and I must have clicked it open by sitting down. The nib was badly bent. It took a lot of patience but I managed to fix it up and it writes as well as when it was new.

Overall it writes at least as well as the Lamy 2K, and if I had to choose, I'd say it writes a tad smoother, and my Lamy writes very smoothly. Both write infinitely better than my Twsbi 540, as a comparison (all my nibs are medium). The VP is an awesome pen that I'm really glad I bought.

Guy

How has its finish held up, is he matte black easily scratched.

My finish is holding up well, but I must admit - I am sort of babying mine.

The clicker button is starting to wear though. If it does any more, I will be sending mine in to pilot.

Edited by 777

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• 10 months later...

Wow!

This has got to be one of the best and most thorough reviews I've seen. Very well done! Now I want one :)

"La charité du sage le pousse parfois à paraitre ému, fâché ou réjoui afin de ne pas blesser son entourage
par la froideur et la lucidité de sa vraie nature."

http://i45.tinypic.com/ekoyc.jpg

Just an awesome pen. So cool looking. Had mine for six months or so and no issues with finish. Purchased from Binder so writes smooth as butter (F nib) as does the M nib from him in one of my two other VPs (gunmetal and carbonesque). Stock F nib I have is scratchy. No likey!

I've got the matte black and a gunmetal Vanishing Point, and adore them both. Particularly in a work environment, they are the best fountain pen to have. Both of mine were rather annoyingly dry out of the box, but after some careful spreading of the tines, I've got them flowing just fine. Wonderful pens and great review!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my eye on this pen and been wanting to get one. I write small so should I get a Fine or Medium nib? I have a Duke 209 with a Medium nib but I write so small that it looks sloppy.

Guy

Hey there Denix,

I have the blue Carbonesque. I find that it's a nicer color than the black. It looks better in real life than in pictures I find, a nice rich blue. In hand, it feels good, with a little bit of give. Not a plastic feel, nor a rubber one, but something in between. The finish is holding up very well. No dents or marks on the carbonesque at all, and I carry it every other day on average (I rotate with my Lamy 2K). I don't baby it, and will often carry it in my pocket, so I'm quite pleased with how it holds up. I'm a bit hyperactive so I'm always twirling it in my fingers so I drop it 5-6 times a day on average, although almost always on a carpet.

I mangled the nib once. I was carrying it in my front jeans pocket and I must have clicked it open by sitting down. The nib was badly bent. It took a lot of patience but I managed to fix it up and it writes as well as when it was new.

Overall it writes at least as well as the Lamy 2K, and if I had to choose, I'd say it writes a tad smoother, and my Lamy writes very smoothly. Both write infinitely better than my Twsbi 540, as a comparison (all my nibs are medium). The VP is an awesome pen that I'm really glad I bought.

Guy

Hi there! Thanks for your reply... I really do like the VP Carbonesque and may get one someday!! Got the Matte Black VP but brassing was really scary.

Thank you for such a comprehensive review! I really like the way the pen was packaged. I care about presentation of items I buy, regardless to their being an LE or not; in any case, pilot has made a wonderful, sort-of getting FB back in fashion style with the magnets and all. The design of the pen is very nice, but I must say the nib looks a bit weird. I guess it's because I'm not used to VP. Can you please tell me how it performs on day-to-day basis? Does the mechanism feels consistent even over several "clicks" made during the day?

On a quest to find the best black ink there is {on hold until i come up with good criteria}. Test subjects:

Caran d'Ache Carbon; J. Herbin Perle Noire; De Atramentis Black Edition - Black; Lamy Black; Montegrappa Black; Parker Quink Permanent Black; Pelikan Brilliant Black 4001; Sailor Kiwa-Guro Pigmented Nano Black.Not final list, PM me with further worthy test subjects

• 2 months later...

Thank you for such a comprehensive review! I really like the way the pen was packaged. I care about presentation of items I buy, regardless to their being an LE or not; in any case, pilot has made a wonderful, sort-of getting FB back in fashion style with the magnets and all. The design of the pen is very nice, but I must say the nib looks a bit weird. I guess it's because I'm not used to VP. Can you please tell me how it performs on day-to-day basis? Does the mechanism feels consistent even over several "clicks" made during the day?

I own a VP in Blue Carbonesque. It's been my trusty pen. I find it well balanced and a dream to write with. Never had any issues with the fine nib myself. I use the pen on a daily basis, the clicking mechanism works well for me. After almost 7 years I am still using the same pen everyday.

Edited by basakadakara

Good comprehensive review!

I just got my Pilot Black Matte Stealth Broad Nib a couple of days ago and was so impressed with the packaging. The "Frozen In Time" inner box where the pen seems to be floating is so dramatic!

I immediately filled the pen with Mont Blanc's Mystery Black and held the pen securely in my hands, was more impressed with how it felt and how it wrote - like a hot knife through butter!

Edited by El Monstro

• 9 months later...

My finish is holding up well, but I must admit - I am sort of babying mine.

The clicker button is starting to wear though. If it does any more, I will be sending mine in to pilot.

I'm patiently waiting for a matte black VP. I think the wearing away of the black at the clicker etc. gives the pen character just like old black painted Leica cameras with the brass showing through. Scratches are another thing, though.