Montblanc...worth The Money?

humsin

Simple question: are Montblancs worth the money? Does what Montblanc offers, justify the hefty price tag? With all the competition around, does Montblanc declare superiority? For example, can a simple, black Meiesterstuck declare superiority over a specificationally special pen, like the Homo Sapiens? Is the 149 worth the hundreds of $$ extra over Dunhill's flagship Sentryman??

All opinions, criticism, comments are welcome. I may be acting as a devil's advocate, but I am just wondering if Montblancs have become slightly overrated, given the opinion of stylophiles, not simply the general populace.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• FarmBoy

• lsmith42

• andybiotic

Oh boy, here we go. :bonk:

Mont Blanc has a cache all it's own. But then so does Pilot/Namiki, Pelikan, Visconti…

I bought a couple used. I like them well enough, but they're just not my thing. You might try the same (either here or the green board-- avoid eBay). They come up all the time. Then you can decide for yourself, and if you don't like them resell the pen for close to what you paid--much closer than of you bought it new.

I'm starting to feel for the Montblanc guys. They're always having to justify their choice on buying an expensive pen more than most.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

I think its time for a new sticky concerning this question. I don't know if the person is intentionally trolling or not. But I do grow weary of this topic. It just seems silly to try and discern a subjective value to an object. Should people even wear jewelry if it really has no purpose other than that? Am I better than you because I don't wear jewelry and therefore my values are much better than yours so I win? I think the answer is either 59 (or the number alluded to in the Hitchhikers guide to the Universe) or Mu.

I think it would be best if the Admins immediately locked this discussion.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

It is a legitimate question, but like the meaning of life, unanswerable. All I know is, none of our pens are worth it re price......but for me, these little bits of practcal art are worth it. So it's personal, subjective and the question just spreads bad feelings among us. Thanks

Edited by MidnightBlue

I don't really think any new pens are worth what is asked for them today. Montblanc is not alone. Pelikan also and all the rest are too high priced. You can't just pick on the one maker. Look at the ebay prices realized for these pens in near-new condition. Generally the pens resell in near new condition at what appear to me to be substantially reduced prices. Let the first buyer take the hit; I would prefer to buy a nice used one today, in most cases, because I am a cheapskate.

That said, the Montblancs I bought new in the 1980s were worth the price to me then. And, on ebay you can get some nice pens at prices that make them worth it.

To me, though, very few if any of the new pens sold today are worth it to me. You can't just pick on Montblanc. Montblanc makes a really fine pen, but the price is high. Pelikan the same. Parker the same . . .et alia.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Why not just go out and spend several thousands of dollars to 10s of thousands to sample the pen world, do the comparisons and you tell us your opinion with your comparative data and personal use experience to back it up. That would be a bigger contribution to the forum than throwing this question back out there again. Or try the search features available here and you might get plenty of opinion concerning your question from other strings.

Simple question: are Montblancs worth the money?

Yes.

Does what Montblanc offers, justify the hefty price tag?

Yes.

With all the competition around, does Montblanc declare superiority?

Yes.

For example, can a simple, black Meiesterstuck declare superiority over a specificationally special pen, like the Homo Sapiens?

No, because pens are not able to declare. The owner of the simple, black Meisterstuk can make such a declaration. You may wish to rephrase this question.

Is the 149 worth the hundreds of $ extra over Dunhill's flagship Sentryman??

Yes.

I am just wondering if Montblancs have become slightly overrated, given the opinion of stylophiles, not simply the general populace.

I don't know what a stylophile is but I am a bonafide member of the general populace, and as a self-appointed spokesperson for that entire group, I declare that Montblancs have not become slightly overrated, nor greatly overrated. They are rated at exactly the correct amount.

What else do you want to know?

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

1. this is the first time i've seen this question around

2. a stylophile is a better term than a pen-lover

3. basically, my point is, given that everyone sells black resin pens, why does montblanc sell for more expensive than brands like waterman, dunhill, or parker?

btw, this is a serious debate; don't see a point to closing the thread.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

3. basically, my point is, given that everyone sells black resin pens, why does montblanc sell for more expensive than brands like waterman, dunhill, or parker?

There are now 7 billion people on the planet, Earth. Actually very few people sell black resin pens. The answer to your questions is a very simple one. Montblanc sell [some] pens that are more expensive than some other brands because people buy them. There is no other brand/model pen that is exactly the same as the models made by Montblanc, and trying to compare them on specific features is futile.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

It is a legitimate question, but like the meaning of life, unanswerable. All I know is, none of our pens are worth it re price......but for me, these little bits of practcal art are worth it. So it's personal, subjective and the question just spreads bad feelings among us. Thanks

BEST POST EVER!!! BRAVO!!! ........and THANK YOU

:clap1:

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

To each their own...

For some it's Montblanc, for others Pelikans, Visconti, Conway Stewart, Omas, Parker, Pilot, Lamy, etc

Whether you think the pen justifies the price or the combination of the pen and its brand justifies the price is very subjective.

My own opinion is regarding Montblanc is so-so but that's the conclusion I've arrived after doing my own research and my personal experience with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. The question has in fact been asked and answered many times on FPN

2. Yes there are clearly MB lovers and MB haters

3. This question usually ends up in a flame battle between the two

4. If it does, it will be shut down

5. 42 is the correct answer to the question "What is the meaning of life the universe and everything"

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The used materials?

What! Precious resin is made from second hand, used materials? Well, at least that is sort of green. . . .

And macaddicted says they have their own cache? Why would where they are stored have any affect on pricing? Are they in a cloud?

Just wondering. :ninja:

"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

... I am a bonafide member of the general populace, and as a self-appointed spokesperson for that entire group, I declare that .... What else do you want to know?

You are doing a great job as spokesperson! :thumbup:

How's the pay?

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch