Japanese Daily Writer

Jezza

Pilot Custom 74 or 823, etc. Large ink capacity, high reliability, great nibs.

Sailor nibs can be great, and the pens are also very reliable, but ink capacity is too little for me.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• XiaoMG

• Jezza

• Poision Pen

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently it’s a Jade Celluloid Nakaya with an EF nib. It has become one of my daily writers due to its small size that clips easily into my shirt pocket.

• 4 weeks later...

A Pilot Capless décimo F nib or a Custom Heritage 91 with an SF nib. Although the Pilots are better writers I am using a couple of Pelikan m2xxs with modified nibs more, largely because they're better suited to drawing and sketching because of the customized nibs and their small size. I also use my Lamy 2000 a lot because, even though it is in the same price range as the Pilots, it feels less precious and distracting, nothing shiny save the little bit of nib poking out of the brushed stainless steel section;)

A Sailor 1911 with a MF filled with Sailor Epinard

"To the optimist the glass is half full, to the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

The only Japanese fountain pen I have used is the Pilot Pen Varsity. Lousy pen, I guess that's why they are considered disposable, because I did just that.

I would like to by a Sailor Pen, not sure which one yet.

Cramer

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

My two Nakayas (a Long Piccolo Black Urushoi and a Blue Dragon) are in daily use, though frequently the Dragon will be in the hands of my better half as she likes it even more than I do. Both work wonderfully as daily use, intense writing pens, just as good as my Pelikans.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

I carry a Sailor Sapporo (Music nib) and/or a Sailor 1911 midsize (EF nib), filled with either Noodler's Bulletproof black, Noodler's Navy, or Noodler's Red-Black.

I also use my Lamy 2000 a lot because, even though it is in the same price range as the Pilots, it feels less precious and distracting, nothing shiny save the little bit of nib poking out of the brushed stainless steel section;)

I adore my Custom 74 SF but didn't really like the shiny black plastic, so I just modified it (here for photos). I think it might become a daily carry pen for me, even though I also have the demonstrator with a standard fine nib and two Decimos that I like a lot.

Robert.

I just purchased a Platinum President with an UEF nib (ultra-extra fine) for my portable daily writer. This is not a nib choice for the casual scribbler, but, as I use oblique dip pens for home desk writers, it makes sense for me.

The pen body itself is not that impressive; it's well enough made, but it doesn't have the feel and finish of a first tier pen, which is reasonable considering its price point. The nib is another matter, entirely. For a pen capable of putting down a line nearly as fine as a Hunt 101, it is remarkably smooth (provided you have a light hand). Even on 'wove' finished papers, it nearly glides, with just a hint of tooth, and I had the pen set up at 4 of 10 wetness. This is a great carry pen for me and, I suspect, at more sane nibs sizes, it would be a great daily writer for nearly anyone. Platinum is definitely a gateway drug to serious Nakaya addiction.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Depending on what I'm wearing, I'll almost always have either one of my Sailor Minis (Music or Zoom ground down to a architect's nib) or a Sailor 1911 (MS) or Pro Gear (NB). :bunny01:

//mark

• 2 weeks later...

Since it arrived, I have carried my Platinum Galaxy maki-e with a music nib.

I confess I was a little underwhelmed with it at first, and thought I might have made a mistake. But I gave it a week of regular use, and once I discovered that it ran better with PR DCSSB than what I'd first tried (PRAB), it became a regular, daily user. I really like the balance of the pen in my hand, and the nib is smooth and interesting, juicy but not outrageously so. When I write with it, I feel like it is an extension of my hand. That may sound trite, but I can't think of a better way to explain it.

I expect there will be a Nakaya in my future...someone on this thread said Platinum is a gateway drug to a serious Nakaya addiction. I'm afraid that may be true, I've been hungrily eyeing the decapod and -- even worse for my checking account -- the blue dragon. Am just worried that the long cigar may be too long for regular carrying and daily use....

edited to add: I also carry a Pilot Custom 74 with a medium nib, the clear demonstrator, most days. It's an astonishingly fabulous nib for the price point of the pen. it's just the right width of nib for cheap office paper and making tiny notes on my staff's draft letters, reports, proposals, etc. but I forgot all about it when I answered this question, the Platinum is in a whole different league...

Edited by sadiemagic

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

Recently I received a handsome 1911-M, Brown/Rhodium "Mozaique". I was able to swap-out the beautifully smooth (but for me, not that useful) 14K H-M stock nib, for a Mottishaw 0.70 mm. C.I.

This pen is always in my limited (2 or 3 pen) rotation, inked with a blue,....usually Sailor Jentle Blue.

The machined acrylic Mozaique is slightly heavier than the regular PMMA resin 1911-Ms. This extra weight makes the pen a very stable & comfortable daily writer.

I'm really happy with this one.

Cheers:

tinta

ed: for content

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Sailor Sapporo, B nib (lays down a perfectly medium-sized line, never too juicy but excellent flow). Just got a Pilot Decimo VP with a fine nib - it's an early Easter present to myself and I think that too is fast gonna become another daily writer.

Which Japanese pen have you found yourself writing with on a faily basis lately? I've been picking up my Platinum briarwood a lot recently, probably because of the convinience of the slip-cap, and I find myself writing with fine nibs a lot the past year or so. Platinum fines seem a bit thinner than the other makers' fines. What about you?

My current everyday writer is a Vintage 1970's Pilot Elite (Pocket Pen) 14K Medium Nib....the pen has a touch of flex, lays down a very nice medium to broad line with great flow...always starts nicely even after a couple of days rest...just a great everyday utilitarian writer...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7198/6902276841_103dc7e668_z.jpg

Regards and have a good one....

I love my 3776 Motosu Demonstrator by Platinum. It is smooth, reliable and doesn't dry

because of it's lovely Slip and Seal mechanism... I swear, it really doesn't dry... :thumbup:

My last Japanese daily was a 1990's VP which I loved. It has since been traded back for another piece, and to my knowledge, is still in somewhat daily use 15 years later. Good pen to say the least.