Best writer under $18 (9GBP)

Hawk

From your experience which NEW fountain pen(S) has been the best writer.

Some other things you might want to comment in your posts are the quality, features, handiness of low-cost pens.

Of course as the price goes up so will the attention to detail and quality of construction increase (Actual metal parts instead of paint on features). So it can be taken for granted that one cannot expect such high quality features in an ultra-low cost pen, meaning no gold, and so on.

The main thing is how well the pen performs, and that it has no major short coming, meaning it does fall apart, or fail to perform as a pen should.

Hawk

Edited by Hawk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hawk

• sonia_simone

• Green Maned Lion

• lisa

I've found the Pelikan Pelikano and Parker Frontier to be very good budget pens.

I've written a review comparing both that you might be interested to read:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=18139

I've since gotten an Frontier with Medium nib "bordeaux metallic" which I think(not sure) is titanium plated on the clip and nib, and that one is the smoothest and most consistant writer I own. 5GBPs on ebay. (I've got good experiances with a pen seller from france and someone called pilotfishtrading from the UK, just experiances as repeat satisfied customer with both these sellers though.)

Best writers that I've purchased new for under $18USD have been:

- Cross Solo (~ $17 NOS on eBay - you can probably find it for less with some sleuthing)

- Duke Silver Filigree Ruby (~ $17 from isellpens.com)

- Hero 329 (~ $8 from isellpens.com)

- Hero 110 (~ $15 from isellpens.com)

- Wality 69L Eye Dropper (~ $10 from isellpens.com)

- Wality 52 Piston Filler (~ $10 from isellpens.com)

- Genuis 'No Name' (~ $5 from isellpens.com)

- Pilot Varsity (~ $3 from Staples - it's disposable but an excellent carry around pen)

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

One of my favourite pens in my collection is the Sheaffer NoNonsense. With a (increasingly hard to find in NOS condition) ball point nib, its is a smooth and consistant writer once it has broken in.

With a fine italic tip, it is a decently smooth writer with a drop of line variation for some character. In medium form, it requires fairly smooth paper to be smooth, but it is surprisingly good for a medium italic, and offers a lot of variation for a ton of character. It makes a fantastic highligher with a broad nib, too.

Whats even better? Well, first off, you can get tons of nibs, user interchangable, pretty cheaply. The design variations, if you consider used, are practically endless, from the translucent older viewpoints, to the fancier gold plated ones, to this odd soccer ball themed one I have. Don't confuse this with the newere ViewPoint with the rubber grip, which isn't as good.

And the best part? I don't care what others tell you. Fill it two thirds, it makes a great eye-dropper once you let it break in.

Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid! My Deviant Art Page!

http://homepage.mac.com/jgribin/.Pictures/Sig4.png

Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.

The artwork in the sig was done for me by my best friend, Corvidophile, whose work is linked to the sig pic. Avatar done by my friend Flash.

maybe i shouldn't reply since i have no experience with this pen, but being new in the FP world, I just spent alot of time reading reviews of cheaper pens from this forum. And one that almost everyone says writes absolutely fantastically is the Rotring Core. Swisher pens has them for $12.50 on clearance right now. Now if only i could get past the looks and bring myself to try one.

http://www.ryan-white.net/FPNSIG.jpg

maybe i shouldn't reply since i have no experience with this pen, but being new in the FP world, I just spent alot of time reading reviews of cheaper pens from this forum. And one that almost everyone says writes absolutely fantastically is the Rotring Core. Swisher pens has them for $12.50 on clearance right now. Now if only i could get past the looks and bring myself to try one.

You can't go wrong, they are great pens. The black Technor is not so bad looking, and it may be purchased for only 11.95 from the Make2shop, plus they offer free shipping until Christmas on all their pens. So for a mere $12 total you have a quality pen, that's hard to beat. Hawk

http://www.made2shop.com/ ;)

i have a core, and it is a pretty dry writer (XS), and the ink constantly leaks inside the barrel. I concede it is possible my pen is defective.

The artwork in the sig was done for me by my best friend, Corvidophile, whose work is linked to the sig pic. Avatar done by my friend Flash.

i have a core, and it is a pretty dry writer (XS), and the ink constantly leaks inside the barrel. I concede it is possible my pen is defective.

It must be defective, I have the exact same pen and it works perfectly, it also has a xs nib and lays a nice solid wet black line...always. (Are you using a cartridge or converter?)

If you have purchased your Rotring Core from a reputable new pen dealer it should be replaced at no charge, if it fails in anyway. You first might try cleaning it throughly and refilling it with a quality ink.

Note: some pens company void their warranties if certain inks are used, one if I recall correctly is the Noodler's brand, and of course you should not use a waterproof ink in any fountain pen.

Hawk :)

Edited by Hawk

I use noodler's almost exclusively.

I use noodler's almost exclusively.

That just may be your problem, or possibly a bad seal at the feeder/converter junction. Might try changing ink brands and trying a new cartridge or converter. You might also check with the pen repair section of this forum for technical advice. I doubt if its a Rotring design problem as there are hundred of thousands in use.

Hawk

Edited by Hawk

why would noodlers ink void the warrenty if it's one of the most used ink by FP users?

http://www.ryan-white.net/FPNSIG.jpg

I know of one seller of rare vintage pens whose warranty is voided by using Noodler's. This is the subject of some controversy.

A modern workhorse like the Core is a horse of an entirely different feather. Noodler's is not likely to be the problem, the individual pen may just have a defect.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

You can't go wrong with Duke in my experience. I now have 7 and number 8 is on the way. All are excellent writers and represent excellent value for money. One or two are slightly over the $18 limit:-

Ruby £3.00 on e-bay. So delighted I bought a second as a spare

Sapphire $16.99

Khaki Squares $14.99

Mini Torpedo $14.99

Cubist Cloisonne $19.99

Complete Esteem $14.99

Silver Rings $3.99. Bought off e-bay from Homg Kong ($7.98 incl. shipping to UK)

Nobility Colour $19.99 awaiting delivery.

The best value has to be the Silver Rings. It is a BIG pen and heavy. All the Dukes I have write better than any Parker I have ever owned during the last 40 years.

Malcolm Webb, Lincoln UK

When somebody asks me what Rotary is all about

I tell them it's all about Fun, Fellowship & Caring Service.

and of course you should not use a waterproof ink in any fountain pen.

Why not? :unsure:

Noodler's inks are perfectly safe. If they werent safe, people wouldn't buy them. There is nothing wrong with waterproof inks in pens. You might avoid them in delicate vintage pens, but modern pens are totally fine with them.

There seems to be a common misunderstanding that waterproof inks 'clog' pens because they're 'waterproof'. By waterproof (or 'bulletproof' if you will), it means that the ink is waterproof when it is stained on paper (or clothes :doh:). Most of the ink itself is water to begin with.

Void the warranty :o ? Well how would they prove you used Noodler's ink in youe pen even if it were true :unsure:

You can't go wrong with Duke in my experience. I now have 7 and number 8 is on the way. All are excellent writers and represent excellent value for money. One or two are slightly over the $18 limit:-

Ruby £3.00 on e-bay. So delighted I bought a second as a spare

Sapphire $16.99

Khaki Squares $14.99

Mini Torpedo $14.99

Cubist Cloisonne $19.99

Complete Esteem $14.99

Silver Rings $3.99. Bought off e-bay from Homg Kong ($7.98 incl. shipping to UK)

Nobility Colour $19.99 awaiting delivery.

The best value has to be the Silver Rings. It is a BIG pen and heavy. All the Dukes I have write better than any Parker I have ever owned during the last 40 years.

Thanks, any ideas on a Duke Carbon Fiber? How would you rate the quality of the Duke's. Any thoughts on Hero brand pens?

So far I have purchased only one Chinese pen; a Dewent Spaceship, and it was well made but a little on the heavy heavy size.

As for nib sizes on these pens, do they write as stated, meaning if the advertisement as a medium nib, is it? Most say medium-fine whatever that is. :)

why would noodlers ink void the warrenty if it's one of the most used ink by FP users?

I found that statement on the web, but cannot recall exactly where it was. But I do positively recall what it said. It was for Pelikan pens, I found it recently when I was researching Pelikans for a purchase(Lots of sites).

As far as inks go I don't have the faintest idea of how they work, or which is the better brand, only what I read about them. I stay with approved brands, and steer away from anything else, and mostly go by recommendations by the pen manufactures.

If I am not certain which ink to use all it takes is a letter to the pen manufacture, it they tell me only use their brand, or only certain types of brands, and if its an expensive pen, then that is what I do. They know their product best. Why take risks? On a closing note I am not so much impressed by what others have done, I am more inclined to listen to what the experts have to say on a subject like this. Hawk :)

and of course you should not use a waterproof ink in any fountain pen.

Why not? :unsure:

Noodler's inks are perfectly safe. If they werent safe, people wouldn't buy them. There is nothing wrong with waterproof inks in pens. You might avoid them in delicate vintage pens, but modern pens are totally fine with them.

There seems to be a common misunderstanding that waterproof inks 'clog' pens because they're 'waterproof'. By waterproof (or 'bulletproof' if you will), it means that the ink is waterproof when it is stained on paper (or clothes :doh:). Most of the ink itself is water to begin with.

Void the warranty :o ? Well how would they prove you used Noodler's ink in youe pen even if it were true :unsure:

Hello, I do believe if you do a little research you will find that all pen manufactures recommend that only fountain pen inks should be used in their pens,and also note that waterproof inks should not be used...ever.

Fountain pen ink and a waterproof ink are total different types of inks, where waterproof inks will normally clog a fountain pen. I am fairly certain about this.

I guess when they ask you which ink you where using when the pen failed to operate. Hawk B)

hi Hawk,

A slight mix up in terminologies here I think.

Bulletproof/Waterproof inks are what in UK are called Permanent inks meaning that they are much more resistant to being faded or washed out by exposure to water or caused to 'bleed' out by just too much moisture,these are rather water resistant than waterproof as against the 'washable' inks which in theory at least can be removed from clothing and paper by washing with water and for best results a detergent

The inks that should not be used in fountain pens are the 'Indian' inks and others containing shellac and other assorted chemicals which do the inner workings of fountain pens little good and in many cases stuff them completely and require at best a complete strip down and at worst complete replacement, these inksare designed for use with dip pens and with some stylographic these are the pens with needle and tube nibs, pens like Kooh-i-noor, rotring Isographs etc. There are also some acrylics based formulations designed for use with airbrushes and technical pens and the like that are in the vast majority of cases not for use in FPs and the old adage of in doubt don't is best followed.

Noodlers inks are like many modern inks highly saturated with pigments or dyes and particularly in the case or reds and purples can cause staining to certain plastics, although in most cases they are perfectly safe to use in modern fountain pens there are certain exceptions, if you have one of the exceptions then it is likely that you will want to avoid certain colours and will know about the potential problem, although if you rinse your pen through regularly there is usually little to worry about.

Then there is the situation where some pens have feeds and flow characteristics or the owners might have preferences about the flow characteristics of certain inks in certain pens but this is a purely personal thing.

I have rambled on a bit tut i hope that it has helped things and not muddied the waters and confused you more than you were before. :)

Cheers, John