Platinum 3776 Soft-Fine Nib

APHK

I had a Pilot 823 and two Sailor 1911s that were recently sold with the intent of replacing with a 845 and a King of Pens if I could get them for lucky low bid wins on eBay.

Platinum was not brand that I had paid much interest as they lagged behind Pilot and Sailor in both quality and variety. Whilst browsing through Kendo-karates shop, I noticed Platinum had a 3776 with a soft-fine nib. I knew the pen was not my favourite size and the build-quality of the pen would be cheap, but it was the nib that attracted me. Soft-fine piqued my interest and at less than USD100, the price was reasonable.

This was the first time that I had bought from Kendo-Karate and thought that I would test him with a low-price item. The pen arrived in less than a week and the pen was in excellent condition.

Appearance & Design (6/10)

This is a bland pen. It looks similar to equivalent models from Sailor and Pilot which were all based on the (Montblanc) cigar style : black plastic cap and body, yellow clip and rings (I am not sure whether they are gold-plated). This pen will not win any design awards and fails to stand out from a bunch of similar pens.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7672/img1400ld.jpg

Construction & Quality (6/10)

The first moment I uncapped this pen, I was disappointed at the feel and sound. Although the construction is sturdy enough, the pen feels cheap and it is obvious that the pen is made of hard plastic. There pen sounds hollow and one can hear the converter clicking against the barrel when the pen is tapped with the finger tips.

The clip is very sturdy and does not wiggle at all (better than the Sailors in this respect). The fat ring on the cap does not fit flush against the barrel and gives a scratchy feel when one rubs a thumb against it.

The converter is excellent though. It fits snugly onto the nipple (?)

Weight & Dimensions (6/10)

At around 137mm in length capped, this is a short pen.

After reading through the forums, I have changed the way I hold my pens so that I tend to grip the threads rather than the section. This way, the tip of the barrel just manages to rest against the web of my hand.

This pen is very light at just 17.8g (vs 21.6g of the Sailor 1911 Large). I do not post my pens and whilst I would prefer a heavier pen, I find the balance of this Platinum 3776 acceptable.

Nib & Performance (9/10)

The nib is single-tone 14.6 gold. The shape of the nib is attractive but the engraving on the nib itself is a bit sparse.

The performance of the nib is excellent.

According to the nibs.com website, the Platinum fine is wider than the Pelikan extra-fine but in practice, the Platinum produces a much thinner line. This is the thinnest nib that I have used.

When held in a more upright position, the nib feels scratchy on the upstrokes but when used at a low angle, the nib feels smooth enough (no comparison to wider nibs of course). The nib is soft in that it is bouncy/springy (but not to the same degree as the Pelikan M1000 nibs). This kind of softness provides a very nice feel to the writing experience. Whilst the nib can achieve subtle line variation under pressure, there is no perceivable variation under normal writing speeds. The subtle line variation makes this pen an excellent writer for Japanese/Chinese characters.

I have used several different inks in this pen already. The nib is of medium wetness.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4686/img1404g.jpg

Attached is a writing sample under light and normal pressure.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1056/img1406s.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (7/10)

The converter is excellent and I have yet to experience any flow problems with this pen. The capacity of the converter seems quite large as well. I do not mind a converter on this type of pen since the ink usually lasts a long time on the fine nib.

Cost & Value (9/10)

The buy it now price on this pen was USD98 so I guess the street price would be around the same as well. I have not seen this pen as an auction item but I guess that it could be had for slightly less if it does come up for auction.

With the right expectations on build-quality, I think this pen is excellent value for money.

Conclusion (43/60)

This pen is all about the nib. It is an excellent writer but is not a pen that I would love since it is not the right size and the build-quality could be better.

In search of that nib, size, quality perfection in a single pen, I have ordered a Nakaya.

Edited by APHK

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ENewton

• Charles Skinner

• APHK

• Lady Spencerian

Thanks for sharing. Yes, the plastic on the 3776 pens is bad, but the nibs are so good it does not matter. Look for one in briarwood or celluloid. Also, try the music nib, which is a joy at a relatively low price.

I got two 3776 demos and they are wonderful... I must say, the nib is lovely. And the

pens are affordable, so we can't blame them for the plastic resin...

Jandrese,

Yes, the briar wood version looks very interesting since it is a full 10mm longer and has wider girth. Unfortunately, the nib choice for the briar wood version is rather limited. The Nakaya version at a premium of ~USD50 would be worth the wider selection of nibs, but that 2 month wait is excruciating.

Jandrese,

Yes, the briar wood version looks very interesting since it is a full 10mm longer and has wider girth. Unfortunately, the nib choice for the briar wood version is rather limited. The Nakaya version at a premium of ~USD50 would be worth the wider selection of nibs, but that 2 month wait is excruciating.

There are quite a few much nicer variations on the 3776 platform that have the extra length you mentioned and the smooth elongated section common to the more expensive models of the pen: Higo-zo-Gan, Akanofu and Aonofu, Galaxy (ao-gai), Yaeume, Aurora (kin nashiji with raden), to name but the first ones that come to mind. Most, but not all, of these have the same limited number of nib options. If I were lucky enough to score one of the urushi/maki-e models at a reasonable price, I would probably ask John Mottishaw to exchange the tip for what I really wanted.

My current 'favorite' is the Gingko Higo-Zo-Gan with a fine tip. The gold inlay on the cap ring is understated and attractive, and the matte black body has a silky feel to it that would normally be found in a more expensive pen. (It took me a while to stop trying to unscrew the cap!) Don't tell any of my Nakayas how much I love this little Platinum: they would all instantly clog up on me. :blush:

There are quite a few much nicer variations on the 3776 platform that have the extra length you mentioned and the smooth elongated section common to the more expensive models of the pen: Higo-zo-Gan, Akanofu and Aonofu, Galaxy (ao-gai), Yaeume, Aurora (kin nashiji with raden), to name but the first ones that come to mind. Most, but not all, of these have the same limited number of nib options. If I were lucky enough to score one of the urushi/maki-e models at a reasonable price, I would probably ask John Mottishaw to exchange the tip for what I really wanted.

My current 'favorite' is the Gingko Higo-Zo-Gan with a fine tip. The gold inlay on the cap ring is understated and attractive, and the matte black body has a silky feel to it that would normally be found in a more expensive pen. (It took me a while to stop trying to unscrew the cap!) Don't tell any of my Nakayas how much I love this little Platinum: they would all instantly clog up on me. :blush:

Yes, I have read up on some of those pens too. A few look nice but for some reason Platinum do not offer the same nib options on such similar pens. Sending off to John Mottishaw is not really an option for me since sending off to US and back would incur USD64 in postage alone. That kind if cost makes Nakayas look better value. I just hope that Nakaya nibs trump their Platinum versions. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I have read up on some of those pens too. A few look nice but for some reason Platinum do not offer the same nib options on such similar pens. Sending off to John Mottishaw is not really an option for me since sending off to US and back would incur USD64 in postage alone. That kind if cost makes Nakayas look better value. I just hope that Nakaya nibs trump their Platinum versions. Fingers crossed.

Ahhh, yes. The matter of postage. My fingers are not able to discern a difference between Platinum and Nakaya nibs, but my eyes tell me that the latter are prettier! Each tip has its own feel and characteristics. For example, I have two Nakayas with EF nib, and they feel quite different in their handling. The set up and tuning greatly influence the writing experience with finer Japanese 14KT tips: one was tuned by John Mottishaw and the other by Mike Masuyama. My soft fine tip is on a Nakaya Neo Standard; the firm fine was my only option on the Platinum Higo-zo-Gan (because of my small handwriting). At this point, I find that I switch around pretty comfortably among EF, F, and soft fine in the Nakayas/Platinum. Each tip has its place in my daily writing: EF for office work and cheques, F for notes and lists, and soft fine for correspondence.

• 10 months later...

Like APHK, I bought my 3776 Century for its SF nib. And I agree completely that it produces one of finest lines I've found on a pen. It is about the same thinness as the EF nib for my Pilot Vanishing Point--that is, about as thin as you'd want a line to be. As someone on a different thread said, the encourages you to write small--to which I'll add: because the results are so remarkably legible.

Marc

When you say "black" to a printer in "big business" the word is almost meaningless, so innumerable are its meanings. To the craftsman, on the other hand, black is simply the black he makes --- the word is crammed with meaning: he knows the stuff as well as he knows his own hand. --- Eric Gill

• 1 year later...

Same for me on my Sailor 1911 EF... I find that my writing gets neater with finer lines. However, I almost always use black in these cases. I find that I prefer my colors in bolder lines :)

Ander

@=

My FPs and Inks

I actually like the feel of the pen, especially when it is posted. The balance is great for my hand. Better than sailor profit, pilot etc. To me, while the black is quite plain, the Red and Blue demonstrators are beautiful pens, but with the same feel. Even the President in resin feels the same. But the nib and balance etc, is lovely

I must confess this review has me reconsidering my desire for a 3776. But, the comparisons and evaluations are confusing to me. This pen was going to be my $100+ fountain pen after reading about how much people like it. Plus, I have a pet peeve and hate spending 10 minutes trying to get a pen going with a bad cap seal, so their claims of the best cap seal was appealing to me.

This review states several times how cheap the pen feels. I don't want that experience. But, the writer seems to be comparing to an M1000 and 1911 Large. So, I would expect it to not be as impressive as pens costing 3-7 times more. Are there pens for around $100 that would not feel cheap in these comparisons? I'm not being flippant, I just want to learn what is available out there.

I must confess this review has me reconsidering my desire for a 3776. But, the comparisons and evaluations are confusing to me. This pen was going to be my $100+ fountain pen after reading about how much people like it. Plus, I have a pet peeve and hate spending 10 minutes trying to get a pen going with a bad cap seal, so their claims of the best cap seal was appealing to me.

This review states several times how cheap the pen feels. I don't want that experience. But, the writer seems to be comparing to an M1000 and 1911 Large. So, I would expect it to not be as impressive as pens costing 3-7 times more. Are there pens for around $100 that would not feel cheap in these comparisons? I'm not being flippant, I just want to learn what is available out there.

Hi,

I think you have a point there - Comparison with a M1000 and a 1911 on build quality and finish may not be exactly kosher…but I think here the emphasis was more on the soft fine nib and the other points came in subsequently. I have been a fan of Sailor and owned several of their pens liking the nibs for the fine lines they make. Like you, I have been planning on the 3776 Century Wine red color for some time now and their slip seal cap innovation promises much. I am undeterred by the critisism here because I am not going to compare it with my Sailor Pro Gear Realo or my vintage pelikan 400NN.

The reason I never got around to the 3776 (though its still on my list!) is because I discovered vintage pens and flex nibs. For $100 you can get a Parker Vac or a Sheaffer Lifetime Crest in vintage pens and come off better in any comparision.

The converter of my brand new Platinum 3776 leaks from where the converter is inserted into the pen and is quite messy. I ordered a new converter and am hoping it will resolve the leaking issue. So disappointed with this new purchase.

Great timing on the review, mine should be arriving next week. I've got two Sailor 1911 and a Platinum 3776 in burgundy. I don't find the Platinum feels cheaper than the Sailor. I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion. Thanks for posting!

The soft nib on my 3776 Century is one of my favorite modern nibs.

+1

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F, Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib, and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

• 2 years later...

I have two 3776 Century pens - a Nice Pur and a Sai. I haven't noticed these two feeling any cheaper than my Sailor 1911s or Pro Gear. I too have been considering getting a Chartres one Wh the SF nib (as its not available on the special models). Is the resin on it likely to be of lesser quality than my two Demonstrators?

resin may be the case cadfael_tex but it all depends on individual preferences. myself is fine with resin as long as the writing experience is pleasant enough. perhaps i have yet to learn how to appreciate higher quality materials. BTW the resin on my 3776 century isn't that bad in quality.

have a great weekend and happy writing!

• 1 year later...

I've 3 of these pens (Soft-Fine, Medium & Broad) and only the broad nib provides what I consider a halfway decent writing experience. I like the shape and size of the 3776's very much and the cap sealing mechanism works beautifully but otherwise, I am quite disappointed with the 3776's even at deep discount. The plastic feels very cheap and the nibs are awful even after professional adjustment/smoothing. I dearly love my Sailor and Pilots, so I know that Japanese pens are generally exceptional, but unless there are much better nibs within the Platinum line I consider theirs to be a waste of perfectly good gold. The accolades heaped upon these pens is beyond my comprehension.