The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wing Sung 233

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:30

I'm typing everything that is written, plus maybe a bit more.

Posted Image

Introduction: I wasn't a huge fan of this pen at first. It was an exceedingly dry writer and I wasn't fond of the look either. It has grown on me since.

Appearance & Design: I still don't find this pen terribly aesthetic. I find the orange ink window kind of ugly, and the nib rather plain looking. It has grown on me a bit though.

Construction & Quality: This pen is surprisingly well made and seems very durable. Everything works. The cap closes with a click, it posts, the clip works well, the squeeze filler is effective, the nib starts writing immediately, and nothing leaks. I'm impressed.

Weight & Dimensions: Everything is perfectly comfortable. It is well balanced and is fine posted and not.

Posted Image

Nib & Performance: This pen writes smoothly and well. There is certainly feedback, but it is pleasant, not excessive. It can write quite dryly, although it doesn't cause extra scratchiness. With Noodlers Black, there can be nib creep.

Filling System & Maintenance: This pen uses a squeeze filler, which works well. It fills nearly to the end of the sac.

Cost & Value: Unbeatable. This pen cost $2.88 from isellpens, which is lower than their usual price of $5. It is easily worth $5 and an absolute steal at what I got it.

Conclusion: Would I declare my undying love for this pen? No. Is it a scarily good value and highly useful? Yes! This pen has definitely grown on me. It is a pen I can toss in a purse or backpack without worry - it won't leak or break, but if it did, it would be cheap to replace. Also, the cap is very secure.

Posted Image
The clip really can be used! It's not just a decoration or an aid to prevent rolling.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2011 - 16:13

Ha, I've got mine on my desk today, I've got Copper Burst in it. They are nice pens. I like it for taming wet inks.

#3 Scribblesoften

Scribblesoften

Retrogrouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:02

My 233's also like inks that support generous flow. In my pens the feeds are a bit loose and often need to be reseated. This is done by simply using one's fingernail to push the feed back into place. When it has moved forward, the pens becomes much scratchier and dryer. When seated properly the pens flow well. I mention this as my son also has a 233 and it has the same issue. When everything is where it is supposed to be, and with a good flowing ink, these pens are smooth, fine writers. As many of us mentioned in you 616 review, your handwriting is beautiful. I also purchased a 616 and a 233 from Todd at isellpens as my introduction to Chinese pens. I wonder how many of us have followed this path. Enjoy your pen.

Edited by Scribblesoften, 28 October 2011 - 12:03.

#4 The Royal Pen

The Royal Pen

Me Irish eyes are smiling, for I've found me perfect blue.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2011 - 23:47

Very nice review, and your handwriting! :yikes: Simply gorgeous!
Posted Image

#5 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:51

i just ordered one from Todd today -along with the H329 gold cap (hadn't seen that one before). looking forward to getting both. thx for the review!

#6 SHK

SHK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:23

Wow, I really like your hand writing :thumbup:

#7 PianoMan14

PianoMan14

The Grumpy Fuzzball

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:39

I think the real treat in this review was not the pen but your handwriting--very nice!
Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

#8 saketb

saketb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2011 - 13:54

Looks like a great writer. I like the nib very much and your handwriting is good.
Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red
Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade
Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red
Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green
TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple
Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

#9 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 23:45

got mine yesterday and i don't know why i never got it before -i'd seen it at isellpens for that prize and never thought of buying it. i like it a lot more than all my Hero pens of the same prize range.

better girth, longer than the H616 standard, holds a lot more ink than the other chinese aerometric copies and i like the sheaffer style nib. my only gripe is the missmatch steel cap with the gold plated nib.

great pen!

edited. the girth and length is the same as the H616. it's just longer when cap posted.

Edited by lovemy51, 02 November 2011 - 00:22.

#10 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:02

Wing Sung 840 uses the same nib but looks better IMHO. How's it compared to to 233? I agree, that yellow window looks very cheap and mismatching.

Edited by adallak, 02 November 2011 - 03:07.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

#11 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:21

funny but i like the amber color window. tho' the SS cap is built more solid than a gold plated (i'm thinking of the cheap H329 gold caps -those flimsy things...) i would like to see the whole thing match.

i don't know what an 840 looks like... i'll go see.

#12 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:28

funny but i like the amber color window. tho' the SS cap is built more solid than a gold plated (i'm thinking of the cheap H329 gold caps -those flimsy things...) i would like to see the whole thing match.

Here you go.

Attached Images

• T2PAltXntaXXXXXXXX_!!282615110.jpg

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

#13 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:44

Thanks for the compliments on my handwriting :embarrassed_smile: It used to be scrawl, but my TAs often give zeros instead of attempting to decipher messy scrawl, so I taught myself decent penmanship.

Wing Sung 840 uses the same nib but looks better IMHO. How's it compared to to 233? I agree, that yellow window looks very cheap and mismatching.

Hmmm. Now you've got me wanting to try this out. I've been using the 233 a ton, because it's such a nice writer, but it's really not an attractive looking pen to me. Some people seem to like them though. I kind of want more Wing Sungs now... I've also got a dragon 220. Some of them are actually pretty!

#14 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:46

Thanks for the compliments on my handwriting :embarrassed_smile: It used to be scrawl, but my TAs often give zeros instead of attempting to decipher messy scrawl, so I taught myself decent penmanship.

Hmmm. Now you've got me wanting to try this out. I've been using the 233 a ton, because it's such a nice writer, but it's really not an attractive looking pen to me. Some people seem to like them though. I kind of want more Wing Sungs now... I've also got a dragon 220. Some of them are actually pretty!

Looks like there are many Wing Sungs with the same conical Sheaffer-like nib which look better, sturdier than 233. Check out eBay.

Edited by adallak, 02 November 2011 - 05:51.

#15 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:59

Here you go.

now, that's a total missmatch. every color is in that pen (red barrel, black section, gold cap, silver end of the section; and i think i see a 2tone nib)... :headsmack:

Edited by lovemy51, 02 November 2011 - 10:01.

#16 akafridi3

akafridi3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 23:48

nice handwriting!

#17 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 00:02

I had two of these :

1.jpg

One was a bit dry on the flow but been adjusted the other was fine. They did need some silicone grease around the base of the nib since I unscrewed them to adjust the nib. 

I gave them both away since I don't care for permanently installed squeeze fillers like that one. 

But they can be disassembled completely for cleaning, just best to have some silicone grease on those threads. 

post-111162-0-89340400-1397279946.jpg

nice handwriting!

I just noticed that this thread is nearly 3 years old and was only bumped by the above. :/

Edited by KBeezie, 27 May 2014 - 00:02.

#18 inkisdry

inkisdry

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2017 - 17:34

I had two of these :

One was a bit dry on the flow but been adjusted the other was fine. They did need some silicone grease around the base of the nib since I unscrewed them to adjust the nib. 

I gave them both away since I don't care for permanently installed squeeze fillers like that one. 

But they can be disassembled completely for cleaning, just best to have some silicone grease on those threads. 

post-111162-0-89340400-1397279946.jpg

I just noticed that this thread is nearly 3 years old and was only bumped by the above. :/

Thread Resurrection! Just acquired a Wing Sung 233 off eBay. Used to be my pen in school in India. Would love to dismantle my pen like this for a "good" clean. Is it safe? Mine has a sac filler.

#19 sneeldip

sneeldip

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:05

I am willing to buy this model, looks attractive. But I am getting only the golden-capped ones. Does the golden colour fades away after time passes? 

#20 MontPelikan

MontPelikan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:21

Hello,

a little review on the Wing Sung 233 could be found here:

Thank you for watching

MontPelikan