The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker Frontier Disassembly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Limenweim

Limenweim

For the Emperor!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:07

Hi, good day all.

I noticed that no one actually mentioned how to remove the Parker Frontier's ink feed and nib, and someone actually suggested that it was friction fit. I just took one apart yesterday after I accidentally bent one of the tines, and realised that the ink feed can be unscrewed (counter clockwise), much like the Sonnet.

Interestingly, although the ink feed does not fit the Parker Sonnet, the nib does (or at least, the relatively modern type steel nib/feed). All it does is to coax the nib out (which is clipped rather tightly onto the ink feed), do the same for the other and swap the nib. This would be an easy solution for people who complain that they prefer their Frontiers to Sonnet nib, yet preferring the Sonnet pen body/balance. Right now my Parker Frontier has a fresh stainless steel Sonnet Fine nib on it, and works perfectly well.

I am surprised that no one pointed this out yet (after doing a quick search in the forums), but well, I could be wrong!

Edited by Limenweim, 27 October 2011 - 02:08.

Sponsored Content

#2 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:28

Wow!

I would never have guessed, and never thought of trying.

That's good, because I have a spare Sonnet nib I like and a less good, but 'adequate' Frontier nib.

Regards,

Richard.

#3 Limenweim

Limenweim

For the Emperor!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:08

I guess it was a blessing in disguise! The Frontier nib somehow seems to be really stubborn, and in my attempt to align the tines one got bent accidentally, hence my attempt to remove it to straighten it. It works perfectly fine now, although I still prefer the Sonnet nib!

#4 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:29

Yes I can concur as I too have done the same recently.

The Frontier nib / feed unscrews - just like a Sonnet. The nibs are interchangable with Sonnet - though slightly different in design, but the clips hold on to the feed.

My Frontier nibs are if anything better than my steel Sonnet nibs - smoother, wetter and more consistent writers - so I dont see the need to change. You can use the one you feel more comfortable with in the pen of your choice. I find the width and the balance of my Frontier Fighter better than the Sonnet.

Frontier is the lower end pen and after some time the snap on cap starts to become loose and a bit wobbly on the section, although it doesn't fall off but it is irritating at times.
Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#5 Limenweim

Limenweim

For the Emperor!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2011 - 14:34

What I did was to apply a thin layer of shellac around the area which the cap snaps on. After letting it dry, it seems like my cap is no longer loose. Not sure how well it will hold up though, so we shall see.

#6 jebib

jebib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:36

I'm going the other way.  I purchased a 18k gold b sonnet nib to retro on a new frontier, just because!

#7 we_invanted_zero

we_invanted_zero

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:45

I have a few frontiers with me, the new ones come with a nice matt black body.

However, the nibs feel too stubborn to me, they write fine, I tried to increase the flow, not much of a good writer though.

Would you recommend buying a spare nib and feed unit of the sonnet to try on a frontier?

#8 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:20

Hi,  The Frontier feed has 1 turn of thread, then pulls out, same as the Sonnet.

The nibs between the Sonnet and Frontier can be swapped, but not the feeds.

I have one Sonnet but several (UK) Frontiers, all write very well.

I've always liked and used the Frontiers, both fountain and ballpoint pens, they are a good design, if plain.

The nibs are fairly thin metal and are quite easy to bend, but fairly easy to repair too.

I just bought two Frontiers, I think new old stock, with different engraved patterns on the nibs, (photo.)

It's a pity they both have the dark purple barrels, which I don't care for.

Attached Images

• Parker_Frontiers_nibs.JPG

Sponsored Content

|