• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Nut

• Left FPN

• wspohn

• voop

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By using the term 'perfect pen' I did not mean that one would never wish to write with anything else (heaven forbid!) What I meant to indicate was a pen of first resort, a pen that is a reliable, comforting presence to use most regularly.I agree with one post that finds the gold on the blue-gold Edson a bit loud - I would have preferred a much darker gold on the cap. I use the black-silver Black Diamond most often, but I cannot unfortunately quite see the comparison with the 'Metropolis' film. Could someone please explain the similarity to my unenlightened mind? Thanks in anticipation.

In answer to rh968's query about why I associate the Edson with Fritz Lang's 1927 silent film classic Metropolis...

The film is a vision of the "future" from a 1920's perspective. To me the Edson has a retro futuristic look -- like the art direction of the film, the Edson has a deco aesthetic, with a hint of the streamlined machines and superweapons that would come in mid-century. The pen would be right at home in the hand of the autocratic industrialist Joh Fredersen, and it seems to be forged from the same shiny gold as Robot Maria.

What I love about the Edson is its timeless quality. Even though it reminds me of a movie from the '20's, its gleaming cap and glowing blue body also suggest an artifact found in the wreckage of a UFO...

Yes, this pen makes my imagination run wild. (Not that I need much encouragement!)

-- MJ

Wasn't ... isn't that just a brilliant film?! Never owned an Edson, but always thought they looked amazing. I know what you mean about the "retro future" look. Well put. NEver really wanted an Edson though - they always looked too large and ostentatious for everyday use for me.

• 4 months later...

Just added my third Edson -- emerald, ruby and blue. All medium. I love the firm but smooth and juicy nib.

• 6 months later...

This section is the most expensive part. But cost is only part of the picture.

It is cost + public image + percentages for the various chains that bring a pen from the factory to you.

Say a factory puts a price of 100 to a pen. Then the importing firm puts 50% on that, and the shop where you buy it another 50%. So the price you pay is: 100 times 1,5 times 1.5 = 225. (in reality it is even more complicated because of transport costs and customs etc.)

Now suppose the production cost of the pen go up, and make the price 110 from the factory. You would pay: 247. It is in the percentages.

"Public image" is a large factor. Look at Pelikan. They have a new LE 101 lizard pen. This pen is basically the same as a souv 400. The LE is 450 Euro, the 400 is 250 Euro in the shop. Just because it is Limited, and oh so pretty, the price goes up. And I think Waterman just puts a lot of "image" on the Edson.

Same goes for Montblanc. Their pens are much more expensive than other brands with similar products. It is all in the image. People pay for the "Ooooh it is a Montblanc"-factor.

When I started collecting I wanted the top of the range from all major brands. After a few visits to my shop I quickly learned that the cheaper pens are often as good or better writers.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I still wonder why the Edson is so expensive - even the nib section is very pricey when purchased on its own. Is it because they are supposed not to leak when on a plane? The smooth, consistent flow? That's good, but is it worth such a high premium?

Yes, they were and still are expensive pens if purchased from a dealer or some internet sellers. I think I can safely say we don't see them in high street shops outside London because of their asking price. But they do not have to be expensive. My mint Ruby, boxed with all original bits and pieces cost £235 and that was all the way from Italy to the UK. Recently an Emerald, mint boxed etc, sold for £350 (still cheap IMHO) and it took two goes on the bay before someone made an offer. I think the cheapest internet delaler I have seen is £525 for the Saphire, but again they appear often on the bay for less.

When I purchased the Ruby, I had read all the pro's and con's on FPN and wanted to try one to see for myself. I was fortunate in knowing that I could sell it without loss if I found it not to my liking. That pen is now one of 2 in my case every day. I can leave it on the desk for 4,5,6 hours, uncapped, and it writes immediately the nib hits the paper, no shaking or dabbing with tissue, it just works.

They are huge pens, they oooozzzz quality in their make up, they look fantastic and certainly, in my case, are great writers. Many don't like the 'nail' nib but I do and it certainly tidies up my hand writing style.

You may have seen my other post on the little Black 512V which I purchased for £10 and resacced for less than £5. So I have a nice pen for £15...on the bay there are peps regularly advertising that same model for between £100 and £260. In short there are deals to be had but you must be quick, your Ummm Ahhhh shall I shant I is someone elses click.

It's not relevant I know to the topic but I just had to add these pics :rolleyes:

fpn_1357464103__dscn0375.jpg

fpn_1357464896__dscn0383.jpg

I am sure others will dash me but this is all IMHO... ;)

Edited by Force

My blue Edson is 11 years old, number 15441 and it doesn't have the little golden button. There is a little piece of metal that is stuck inside the resin, at the very end of the barrel, probably so the inner metallic barrel and the "resin overlay" stay together firmly. So there is a transparency effect that is a little ugly. It's only visible in direct light, but it is here, noticeable. The button at the end of the barrel was added to hide this.

I remember in the end of 1994, when the Edson was first presented to me at a local shop, its tag price was 5000 French Francs, which was close to the price of a Montblanc 146 solitaire then. That price stayed like this for a few years, as when I bought mine in 2002, I paid 750€ for it, which was roughly the exact conversion rate between FF and € (1€=6,56FF). Two years ago, I saw the price had jumped to 950€. I don't know if it is because of a "luxury" orientation, the price of gold or just inflation (despite our governments' sayings, there is a non-negligible inflation in Europe).

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg