Edson: The Perfect Pen?

rh968

I'm a bit late in this discussion, but I've become interested in this pen recently when someone told me that it doesn't leak. Is this true just for being in a plane? Would it leak out some ink if it's dropped? Just last week, I was writing something, and while I was about to unpost the cap of the pen, the whole thing just fell out of my hand (a rather clumsy move on my behalf). The ink didn't make much of a mess, but there were little drops scattered about. It was a quick clean, but I imagine that's why I'm afraid of actually taking my pens outside the house. Does this problem get solved with the Edson?

By the way, if we're comparing fountain pens in general to ballpoint pens, the main advantage that the ballpoint pen seems to have is that you can be clumsy with it without making a mess while fountain pens will get ink everywhere. If the Edson doesn't solve this problem, why wouldn't it be possible for any fountain pen to solve this?

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Nut

• Left FPN

• wspohn

• voop

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for being off-topic in my last post...I'm just not sure if the Edson addresses that problem.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

I have several favorite Waterman's - an onyx Patrician, an 0554 filigree, a pink nib #7, a 94 Persian, an 0574 pansy panel, a 452 hand engraved ivy, and several others. All of them produced in the 20's and 30's. I tend to like vintage pens, although I do have a few modern ones.

Have never owned an Edson, and don't intend to. I assume they must be good pens, considering their high price, but I think they are one of the ugliest pens I have ever seen.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Having owned a Ruby - Red for sometime now, I recntly added a Blue Saphire I love how they look.

I have yet to write with either of them, but simply like to look at them

I recently added a Ruby Ballpoint model... Simple but elegant is how I feel about them. :thumbup:

I wish I could say the same for the boxes which house them... A terrible design, just getting them

out of the outer box causes damage to the padded surface . :crybaby:

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Perfect for regular, daily use? I wouldn't say so; but then again, it really depends on for what it is used, how it is used - this is all very subjective. It is, IMO the best looking modern Waterman, at any rate.

Aesthetically, I think that there are few pens that can match the Edson (I am particularly enamoured with the sapphire/gold variant), and would gladly accept one if it were gifted to me or if I found one for a 'killer price'.

However, it can never be my perfect pen because it uses the humble, but ever so common, converter system.

I write many words each day. I use multiple pens for this (different things need to be written differently: nib widths, different inks etc.). As it stands, I like too many different pens to limit myself to one.

But, if I were limited to just one pen for daily use then it must have some form of integrated filling system.

Why?

Apart from a personal preference for integrated fillers (the pen feels more 'whole' - nothing is or feels disposable and thus in certain instances, 'cheap'), another reason would be the practical notion that most (though not all) integrated fillers I know of hold more ink; in some cases much more, but in some there's not much difference at all (and thus in such cases the 'Personal Preference' asserts itself and overrules any such notions).

I shall never pay over a certain limit for a pen if it possesses a C/C system (as it stands at the moment, that's about 200USD). The only C/C filler I currently use is a Sailor - but I persevere because of it's delightfully smooth Fine nib (and that's a Japanese fine that I'm referring to at that!).

So, the Edson looks (and feels) and writes beautifully (at least the one I tried did), but I won't be holding out for one anytime soon; I've too many other pens on my list that adhere to my preferences that supersede it.... still, if that 'killer deal' ever comes around....

However, it can never be my perfect pen because it uses the humble, but ever so common, converter system.

I shall never pay over a certain limit for a pen if it possesses a C/C system (as it stands at the moment, that's about 200USD).

Aha - another 'converter chauvinist'! May I assume that you exercise the same level of discernment when it comes to other things in life? Presumably you would never buy a car with a mere pushrod engine, nor simple cast as opposed to forged pistons, nor sintered metal connecting rods instead of forged billets...... :glare:

I've never paid more than about $2000 (not $200) for a pen with a converter..... :P

Edited by wspohn

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Aha - another 'converter chauvinist'!

For an exceptional price I expect and demand an exceptional pen! The Edson is an exceptional pen, with a certainly exceptional price to be sure, but it falls short in this regard; it's not exceptional enough!

IMO, a cartridge/converter system is not exceptional. It is ubiquitous and boring.

It is perhaps at times more 'practical', but I for one do not use fountain pens for their 'practicality' (or lack of it) - if I wanted true practicality I would use a ballpoint or gelpen (or perhaps even jump the bandwagon and soley use some damnable LCD screen like everybody does else these days, if I weren't sure I'd poke out my own eyes after a few minutes).

I want a pen that is a whole and unified instrument (a eventually-replaceable rubber sack counts) - not something that possesses removable and disposable (yeck!) parts, that are found everywhere on every other damn pen today! (it's the cookiecutter filling system - it tastes like vanilla-chicken!)

C/C's are to integrated-fillers like so many discarded double-A batteries are compared to the almighty rechargeable lithium-ion's: the cartridge is the normal double-A, the converter a rechargeable double-A - better, but still not up there compared to the lithium.

I prefer the hand-me-down clothes from my father and other long dead relatives and tailored attire, all made to last as opposed to the usual "wear for a year then throw it out" affair.

I prefer my watches to be mechanical (whether that be automatic, hand-wound or even key-wound) - quartz watches with their disposable movements have a time and place; that is not on my wrist or pocket. My key-winding pocket watches are 100-130 years old and still ticking - they just need an oiling once and a while - if an automatic of mine breaks, it can easily be repaired again and again, but if one of my quartz watches breaks they open the back, rip out all the insides and throw them out! They are then replaced with another soul-less monstrosity that's equally disposable. I'll take my most basic, cheapo mechanical watch over any overpriced quartz watch any day.

If the converter is removed from a pen, all you've got is an empty tube - heartless, or perhaps, 'gutless' would be more apt (unless it's got no metal innards, in which case you have yourself a perfectly good eyedropper pen- I'm okay with eyedroppers! :D)

Sailor 'King of Pen'? Ha! "King" indeed, but of what kind of Kingdom?.... (if that's the King, I'll just settle for the Knave thank you very much).

You may keep your gutless tube of brass and plastic! I'll stick to the vastly superior and courageously interesting Pistons, Plungers, Bulbs, Buttons, Levers, Snorkels, and yes, even the most humble of all - the eyedropper!

Yes, I am a "converter chauvinist", and unashamed of it!

Long live the integrated-filler! Down with the C/C reign of tyranny! (tyranny ofboredom that is!)

Bah! Humbug!

-=-=-=-=-=-

As for cars, I know nothing about them besides how to drive them, never have, probably never will as they do not concern me in the slightest - I just haven't ever had the need; I've left it to others to worry about the cars and drive me where I've needed to go for pretty much all of my life - it's an arrangement that has worked out fine with me and I see no reason to change things. (The only other country I frequent has excellent public transport and is safe enough for bicycles - so a car is not necessary.)

I've left it to others to worry about the cars and drive me where I've needed to go for pretty much all of my life - it's an arrangement that has worked out fine with me and I see no reason to change things. (The only other country I frequent has excellent public transport and is safe enough for bicycles - so a car is not necessary.)

I last met one of those when I was an apprentice many years ago.

I was driving my car paid for with my hard earned cash, running my petrol paid for with my hard earned cash when said person flaged me down and said "you're going my way aren't you" to which I replied "yes I am" to which I drove off leaving said person standing there....all forlorn....bl*#$dy scrounger(s)

I've left it to others to worry about the cars and drive me where I've needed to go for pretty much all of my life - it's an arrangement that has worked out fine with me and I see no reason to change things. (The only other country I frequent has excellent public transport and is safe enough for bicycles - so a car is not necessary.)

I last met one of those when I was an apprentice many years ago.

I was driving my car paid for with my hard earned cash, running my petrol paid for with my hard earned cash when said person flaged me down and said "you're going my way aren't you" to which I replied "yes I am" to which I drove off leaving said person standing there....all forlorn....bl*#$dy scrounger(s)

I sit in my car, paid for by my hard earned cash, it guzzles petrol paid for by my hard earned cash. I instruct my driver where to go - his pay comes from my hard earned cash.

I do not stop for vagrants; nothing good ever came of stopping for anyone in this country... far too dangerous... bl*#$dy peasants(s)!

Edited by Silent Speaker

I do not stop for vagrants; nothing good ever came of stopping for anyone in this country... far too dangerous... bl*#$dy peasants(s)!

No vagrant here, it was someone earning and doing the same as me then.

Thought I would pop in to see how the Edson was doing amongst the members and feel the thread is drifting slightly off course and getting a bit personal, we are a damn passionate bunch when it comes to our pens and I have noted (ok and been involved in :embarrassed_smile: ) heated discussions like this myself but hey lets stay friendly !! Anyway I LOVE my Edson and anyone who does not is a real ............ :rolleyes:

Edited by Pen Nut

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I love the look of my Edson (Sapphire Blue) and even bought the matching ballpoint. I got it back in the nineties but foolishly neglected it in favour of my Pelikans, and now I need to get it serviced / overhauled. I don't like to have it just going to waste, and reading this thread has made me think I should either resurrect it or sell it!

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

My favourite Waterman's is a trusty old black 52 but for daily use an early C/F is more convienent.My daily use pens change frequently,today it's a couple Sheaffers,a snorkel and a 49 Touchdown,a Parker 51 and a Noodler's Ahab in my pockets.The Waterman's are taking the day off at home.

Edited by Hangglidernerd

My green Edson is always in the rotation for daily use.

Filling it with .1ml Aurora Black and .5ml MB Collodi (sp..) and getting a very good chestnut.

It's pumpkin pie filling without the Black.

If any 'Edson Fan' is looking for a spare nib unit, perhaps for re profiling to desired style, I have placed one in our classifieds section.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I doubt there is a perfect pen for me but I will tell you that I expect this one under the tree at Christmas and will let you know how it works out. I have never cared for the gold trim on the Edson but this full on silver version and the Black Diamond are da' bomb.

http://www.theinkflow.com/images/Waterman/Edson_Silver/Edson_SilverFPSet.jpg

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

I doubt there is a perfect pen for me but I will tell you that I expect this one under the tree at Christmas and will let you know how it works out. I have never cared for the gold trim on the Edson but this full on silver version and the Black Diamond are da' bomb.

Hope you get it, it's a really nice pen. They seem harder to come by these days and are quite expensive. I bought mine a few years ago for $700 which seems like a bargain now.

I have that one with an M nib, and it is a dream to write with.

Just took it in rotation again last week.

You must have been good, if Santa is going to get you one of these...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~