Edson: The Perfect Pen?

rh968

How many people regard the Edson as the perfect pen for regular daily use? If not, what is your favourite Waterman?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Nut

• Left FPN

• wspohn

• voop

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How and why did you jump from Edison to Waterman? I used an Edison today and it worked great; it would indeed be a good everyday pen IMHO.

But that said my Waterman Carene is also a good everyday pen. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how one looks at it) an everyday pen is an oxymoron when so many sit in the pen boxes clamoring for my attention. A rotation is the best I can do to keep them from getting jealous of one another.

Cheers,

Post Script

How and why did you jump from Edison to Waterman? I used an Edison today and it worked great; it would indeed be a good everyday pen IMHO.

But that said my Waterman Carene is also a good everyday pen. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how one looks at it) an everyday pen is an oxymoron when so many sit in the pen boxes clamoring for my attention. A rotation is the best I can do to keep them from getting jealous of one another.

Cheers,

Post Script

Erm am I missing something here ?? EDSON ( as in Waterman) is, in my opinion, one of the best pens I have ever owned. Use a blue and gold variety at least two days a week but did have and sell on the FPN the silver LE with 5 nibs. Yes I do wish I had have hung onto it but you cannot keep them all . . . . can you ! :thumbup:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Reading comprehension . . . jump to conclusions . . . wild goose chase . . . like an old co-worker once said, born with a silver horseshoe in his mouth, in the hysterical district.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Oh I see....bit like "you can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead" :thumbup:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Sort of. I read the first two posts and thought my head was becoming a tennis ball.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My "perfect pen" tends to vary, but when it's revved up and running the Edson sure feels perfect. It's an artifact from a much cooler world. I just watched Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" again, and the Edson must have been born there...

-- MJ

Cheers,

Post Script

Erm am I missing something here ?? EDSON ( as in Waterman) is, in my opinion, one of the best pens I have ever owned. Use a blue and gold variety at least two days a week but did have and sell on the FPN the silver LE with 5 nibs. Yes I do wish I had have hung onto it but you cannot keep them all . . . . can you ! :thumbup:

No, I clearly am. Must remember to take the "i" out of Edison next time I guess. :bonk:

Post Script

Thank God someone said it before I did. I too find them rather ugly. The Carene is stunning, and I own two, but the Edson -- not so much. It may write like a dream, but if I don't like looking at it, I'm not going to use it.

Now my Opera is entirely another story -- they'll have to pry that beauty out of my cold dead hands.

Todd

How many people regard the Edson as the perfect pen for regular daily use? If not, what is your favourite Waterman?

I don´t know how many people regard the Edson as a/the perfect pen for regular daily use. As for myself, I don´t. Because the inlaid nib get scratches by the cap.

The Edson may be a great pen, but not a great fountain pen, for it lacks of a nib in the strict sense of the word. Okay, harshly judged, but compare Sheaffers inlaid nibs, if you´d like to see how fountain pen and rollerball can meet successfully... ;)

I sold my Edson after some years of disappointment... To tell the thruth I sold all my modern Waterman Fountain Pens except the Men 100. Currently I do possess eight of them, three from silver (including the Etoile), three from wood (Bruyère, Macassar, Fountainebleau green)and two Patricians. I was lucky enough to purchase four really flexible nibs (the ones with the breathing hole), but as for the Man 100 I have never seen a rigid nib, that writes like the ones on the Edson.

Sorry for these words.

But, guys, one can hardly call the Edson "ugly". I liked the Metropolis-connotation and if someone gets well with those ... er... "nibs", I should be glad that this is so!

After all the Edson is a fountain pen either to praise or to bash. Bashing brings the fortunate circumstance that one needs not to buy it...

Regards,

Alex

Edited by Graf Wetter vom Strahl

The perfect pen. Those are big words. They invoke questions like: perfect for what....

That said, I want to add that I have two Edsons and find they write like a dream. And I like the look of my silver one and my diamond black. Don't mind the rigid nib at all.

I must confess I dislike the gold ones, having seen the blue-gold in person. The red en green I know only from pictures, but are not my favorite. Too much bling.

Those are expensive pens, but they were worth it.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The perfect pen. Those are big words. They invoke questions like: perfect for what....

Totally agree with that. Its like the 'best car in the world' question. Define 'best' and I will have a good go. Its so many things to so many people.

I use one for every day writing and note taking. It is nearly 5 years old (end of this year :)) and I still like it. As it is a daily writing instrument it shows its "injuries". Not very uncommon for things that get used a lot. I bought another fp because the gold cap can be a bit too much in some cases so having one that is a bit more in the background is a nice addition. That one is also very suited for the same tasks as the Edson (it has to be!). But then again, the Twsbi Diamond 530 is also able to do that and for some is the perfect pen. I find the steel nib a bit too stiff for that though.

By using the term 'perfect pen' I did not mean that one would never wish to write with anything else (heaven forbid!) What I meant to indicate was a pen of first resort, a pen that is a reliable, comforting presence to use most regularly.I agree with one post that finds the gold on the blue-gold Edson a bit loud - I would have preferred a much darker gold on the cap. I use the black-silver Black Diamond most often, but I cannot unfortunately quite see the comparison with the 'Metropolis' film. Could someone please explain the similarity to my unenlightened mind? Thanks in anticipation.

I thought I couldn't live with out one and after I got mine I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. As for daily use, it stood too tall in my pocket and was too heavy for the pocket material. The nib was a nail and too wide for my handwriting, the nib got scuffed too easily. I ended up selling it. However I still think they are beautiful and well made pens!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

By using the term 'perfect pen' I did not mean that one would never wish to write with anything else (heaven forbid!) What I meant to indicate was a pen of first resort, a pen that is a reliable, comforting presence to use most regularly.I agree with one post that finds the gold on the blue-gold Edson a bit loud - I would have preferred a much darker gold on the cap. I use the black-silver Black Diamond most often, but I cannot unfortunately quite see the comparison with the 'Metropolis' film. Could someone please explain the similarity to my unenlightened mind? Thanks in anticipation.

In answer to rh968's query about why I associate the Edson with Fritz Lang's 1927 silent film classic Metropolis...

The film is a vision of the "future" from a 1920's perspective. To me the Edson has a retro futuristic look -- like the art direction of the film, the Edson has a deco aesthetic, with a hint of the streamlined machines and superweapons that would come in mid-century. The pen would be right at home in the hand of the autocratic industrialist Joh Fredersen, and it seems to be forged from the same shiny gold as Robot Maria.

What I love about the Edson is its timeless quality. Even though it reminds me of a movie from the '20's, its gleaming cap and glowing blue body also suggest an artifact found in the wreckage of a UFO...

Yes, this pen makes my imagination run wild. (Not that I need much encouragement!)

-- MJ

I don't think there is such a thing as the perfect pen, car, watch etc. Is the Edson a satisfactory pen I enjoy using? Sure - it has good build quality and is a good writer. But that doesn't deter me from heading for something totally different when I am in the mood for a more flexible nib.

Alex, if you feel the Edson lacks a nib, I wonder what you make of the Parker 51....:hmm1: BTW, I also have 4 different Man 100 in sterling and use them quite a bit as well! Another great model.

I think that the Edson styling definitely makes it one of the more controversial models, but not as controversial as the Serenite!

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I agree with one post that finds the gold on the blue-gold Edson a bit loud - I would have preferred a much darker gold on the cap.

It was the only choice I had. If I had waited 1 or 2 months I could have gotten the less loudy one with the black-grayish colour scheme. On the bright side...I now have 2 pens that write lovely :)