The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Hello Kitty Pen!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:34

Posted Image

My typed review will include the entirety of my handwritten one.

Posted Image

Introduction:
OMG! It's a Hello Kitty fountain pen! I picked it up at a local store.

Appearance & Design:
It is a Hello Kitty fountain pen! Beyond that, it is pretty cheap plastic, the sort you expect on a disposable rollerball. I strongly prefer the way the blue ink pen looks, but there is also a black ink pen (not pictured).

Construction & Quality:
This is a disposable fountain pen.

Weight & Dimension: This pen is thin and light. Also, it posts.

Nib & Performance:
This is a cheap nib. It is rolled, not iridium tipped. It doesn't write poorly, although I think this nib is not very pretty. It is very firm, and a tad scratchy. It writes fairly finely although no sizes are marked.

Filling System & Maintenance:
This is disposable. I will try to pull out the nib and feed and try to refill it when it runs out, but that won't be for a while.

Posted Image

Cost & Value:
It was $5. So was my Hero M616, which is much nicer to use. This pen is worth it for the lols, not the writing experience, which is mostly reminiscent of a decent $1 rollerball. Also, I can refill my Hero.

Conclusion:
I got to bounce around the dorm showing off my Hello Kitty fountain pen, which was great. I would suggest this pen for anyone who is overly fond of Hello Kitty. It does write fine, and it doesn't dry out when not used. I don't like the disposable nature or the non-waterproof ink that it uses. It makes a great gift for Hello Kitty fans, and a superb backup pen because it really never dries out. Also, it comes in fine, unlike a Varsity, which also are disposables that don't dry out. Thus far, I've been keeping it around as a backup, and it has come in handy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you enjoyed my review!

(Also, if you desperately want one of these, I can easily get more, as long as that store carries them, so talk to me. I've not seen them online).

Edited by celesul, 25 October 2011 - 01:36.

Sponsored Content

#2 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:46

Posted Image am sort of, scuffing the floor with my shoe, charmed, blush, by Hello Kitty.
Since my Snoopy watch bit the dust, my daily gear looks very adult.

Remember that the Disposable Varsity is, in fact, refillable..
Bet this pen could be refilled too.
Was there a manufacturer name on the original packaging?
Posted Image might these, ahem, be available in the US?
nice ink color too!

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#3 subbes

subbes

Vintage flex junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:55

Looks a bit like the disposable Sailor ink-bar, which is my go-to handbag pen for situations too dangerous for even a Pilot 78G (and sadly now discontinued, *sob*).

Edited by subbes, 25 October 2011 - 01:58.

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

Posted Image

#4 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:59

Posted Image am sort of, scuffing the floor with my shoe, charmed, blush, by Hello Kitty.
Since my Snoopy watch bit the dust, my daily gear looks very adult.

Remember that the Disposable Varsity is, in fact, refillable..
Bet this pen could be refilled too.
Was there a manufacturer name on the original packaging?
Posted Image might these, ahem, be available in the US?
nice ink color too!

Ha. Probably. It would wear out though, not being iridium tipped.

I got it in the US, in a store that sells everything Hello Kitty. I don't remember a manufacturer name (it came in a clear film sleeve). I looked online for these, but I don't know of any place currently selling them.

#5 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:00

Looks a bit like the disposable Sailor ink-bar, which is my go-to handbag pen for situations too dangerous for even a Pilot 78G (and sadly now discontinued, *sob*).

Yeah, that does really look exactly the same. It is certainly good for a backup, I agree!

#6 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:00

Thought I saw a Hello Kitty FP on the market for $2500, was hoping someone had splurged and would end the suspense...

#7 subbes

subbes

Vintage flex junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:03

If it's the same as the ink bar:
a] please tell me there's an online source for them
b] they're refillable, but they use a felt insert to hold the ink inside the barrel so you will need to remove the felt, wash it, then soak it in your chosen refill ink and it's a bit of a production.

Edited by subbes, 25 October 2011 - 02:03.

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

Posted Image

#8 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,950 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:06

Yeah, that does really look exactly the same. It is certainly good for a backup, I agree!

wee doggies! guess what? recent trip to nearby shopping mall, new Hello Kitty store!
Will have to see if they have the pen. Huge thanks!
Subbes too! in the link you posted, a reviewer shares the refill procedure > win/winPosted Image

#9 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:10

If it's the same as the ink bar:
a] please tell me there's an online source for them
b] they're refillable, but they use a felt insert to hold the ink inside the barrel so you will need to remove the felt, wash it, then soak it in your chosen refill ink and it's a bit of a production.

Ah, I do know there is felt inside, because I accidentally managed to screw up one of them, and tried screwing around with it and ended up with felt stuff.

I do not know of an online source. If you have any shops full of Hello Kitty junk, there might be one there.

Also, the pen says Sanrio on it, but the store I found it at was not an official Sanrio store, and it is not on their website, as far as I can tell.

Edited by celesul, 25 October 2011 - 02:17.

#10 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:21

Found one online source! http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1301wt_1209

I guess it's lucky if you're in the UK?

#11 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,950 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:34

I'll check it out asap, and report back : D

#12 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:53

You can apparently also buy it through US ebay too http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1301wt_1209

It's a lot pricier than at the store I found...

#13 2GreyCats

2GreyCats

Never met a Sheaffer I didn't like

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:32

This appears to be a different one: http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec4d93a38

I'm a bit mystified by the claim that it doesn't include ink. Anyone know what carts it would take? Platinum, or Pilot, or ...?

There is also a version of the Platinum Preppy, in all colors, that is a Hello Kitty item. 682 yen = 7.89 USD.
http://www.amazon.co...&language=en_JP

Edited by 2GreyCats, 28 December 2012 - 05:39.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

#14 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:49

Hi,

There is also a Sailor Professional Gear version http://wancher.ocnk.biz/product/733

I think it is cute. Look at the nib!!

It's probably a good pen if you are in love with Hello Kitty and want a pen with some more permanence.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo, 28 December 2012 - 06:01.

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#15 2GreyCats

2GreyCats

Never met a Sheaffer I didn't like

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:52

Hi,

There is also a Sailor Professional Gear version http://wancher.ocnk.biz/product/733

I think it is cute. Look at the nib!! <snip>

Dillon

Oh, my goodness! That is severely cute! But at $160 USD there's no way I'd ever buy it -- besides the price, it's pink :sick: .

If I'm actually going to own any HK things (I do have a pack of playing cards and a Pez dispenser):blush:, I prefer them to be red.

Edited by 2GreyCats, 28 December 2012 - 06:54.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

#16 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 19:20

Hi,

I think it is cute. Look at the nib!! <snip>

Dillon

Oh, my goodness! That is severely cute! But at $160 USD there's no way I'd ever buy it -- besides the price, it's pink :sick: .

If I'm actually going to own any HK things (I do have a pack of playing cards and a Pez dispenser):blush:, I prefer them to be red.

The Sailor pen is actually fairly attractive looking (someone posted an ebay link for another one like this last summer -- at about twice the price IIRC). Except of course for the price. And, well, the Hello Kitty part.... :sick:
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

|