Omas Extra Desk Pen

rhr2010

Hi Omas experts! I just acquired an Omas Extra desk pen. It writes very well, large flexy nib and I would like to bring it back to life. It is a piston filler. The taper is somehow attached to the end of the barrel. I believe there is a metal pin to knock out, it does not unscrew like most desk pens. The taper actually rotates to operate the piston.

First question, how do I undo the taper and open the pen so that I can mount a new cork. I was going to knock out the pin, but maybe a bit of advice would be useful.

Second, I do not have a base. I do not care about getting an original base, but do you know if the pen is compatible to any Wahl, Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer base? How difficult is to get a correct base? I kind of like this black desk pen for my desk.

post-46238-0-00284500-1319496960.jpg

post-46238-0-85063800-1319496960.jpg

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rhr2010

• eric47

• georges zaslavsky

• sanpei

You should post this in the repair section for two reasons. One: you have abetter chance of getting an answer. Two: I have been wanting to find out the answer to that question for a long time.

Philip

www.scriptusinc.com

Thanks Philip. I will post over there too, but I think some of the experts here too have opened several times an Omas desk pen. I think one has to knock out the metal pin fixing the taper to the piston knob, but better asking than being sorry...headsmack.gif

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Philip. I will post over there too, but I think some of the experts here too have opened several times an Omas desk pen. I think one has to knock out the metal pin fixing the taper to the piston knob, but better asking than being sorry...

And I think some of Italians who would know, e.g. sanpei, robertov, et al., tend to post here and Marketplace, and not often Repair.

My suspicions about how to do it are the same as yours, but I've never done it.

Could send a PM to Paolo (sanpei) to alert him to this thread. He's a nice guy, he'll let us know how it's done.:lol:

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Eric summons me, so here I'am :P

no necessary extract the pin, is enough unscrew the tail

threads are about 1 cm above the gold ring.

Correct holder have to be black

with 3 thin golden rings, not hard to be found here, and quite cheap

but shipping could be expensive because of weight,

I should have few, will post a picture shortly

S

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc511/zona900/omdesk.jpg

Do you have vintage AURORA or WILLIAMSON,

italian WWII militaria for sale or trade? Please contact me.

Looking for 1950'S AURORA 88?

Other vintage italian pens?

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a624/z900it/zona900eb_zpsc3413dc2.jpgHere's the Answer! www.zona900.com

Grazie Paolo!

You made my day! The taper unscrews really easy, no sweat, not tools, no heat!

I send you a PM regarding holders.

Grazie ancora,

Federico

Eric summons me, so here I'am :P

I shall trademark the "Sanpei Signal™" :lol:

thanks Paolo.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Grazie Eric, the Sanpei Signal works!:clap1:

I changed the cork of this pen. The capacity is quite impressive ~2.2 ml! No air whatsoever in the barrel, 100% filling. It is quite impressive, I never achieved 100% filling with any piston filler. The piston has a very long run, maybe this is the reason of the optimal filling capacity?

2.2ml is quite impressive indeed. I am quoting member Bo Bo Olson that wrote on the Pelikan forum (I didn't verify the data):

Modern 200/400 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 24.5mm, potential ink volume:1.29 ml

Modern 600 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm, potential ink volume:. 1.37 ml

Modern 800 : piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 26 mm , potential ink volume: 1.37 ml

Modern1000: piston bore 8.2mm, piston stroke 28 mm , potential ink volume: 1.47 ml :headsmack:

Vintage 400NN : piston bore 9.0 mm, piston stroke 31 mm , potential ink volume: 1.97 ml :notworthy1:

MB Kafka: 0.88

MB Hemingway: 1.26

MB Dumas: 1.26

MB Twain: 1.35

MB Lennon: 1.39

MB Shaw: 1.48

MB 149: 1.60 :thumbup:

Eventually I'll find out how much is in the Woolf and the vintage and modern 146.

Parker slide converter: 0.60

Standard converter: 0.75

International short: 0.87

Sheaffer slim: 1.20

Parker: 1.47 :rolleyes:

Sheaffer standard: 1.50 :thumbup:

International long: 1.66 :thumbup:

Double reservoir powerfiller Visconti's:

Titanium skeleton: 2.35 :thumbup:

Wall street LE: 2.60 :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Sanpei I now have the proper base for my Omas desk pen. I like the look, a plain good old black pen but what is amazing is the nib. Pardon the poor quality of the photos. Thank you again Paolo for the base!

post-46238-0-06293800-1321330720.jpg

post-46238-0-92654800-1321330720.jpg

post-46238-0-79599200-1321330721.jpg

post-46238-0-57128000-1321330722.jpg

stunning pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Wow

I am jealous.....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have one of these, too. I believe I bought it from Sanpei, and the base is a chunky piece of black granite!

It's a great pen, except that it dries out all too quickly.

Fred

I changed the cork of this pen. The capacity is quite impressive ~2.2 ml! No air whatsoever in the barrel, 100% filling. It is quite impressive, I never achieved 100% filling with any piston filler. The piston has a very long run, maybe this is the reason of the optimal filling capacity?

Sure. The longer the barrel, the longer the piston rod can be. Notice that the piston rod usually doesn't exceed the half of the barrel lenght. Otherwise, the reservoir will be shorter than it could be.

• 5 years later...

I know that I am bumping an old thread, but perhaps someone can help. I have a similar Omas Extra desk pen with celluloid barrel. I can unscrew the tail, but how can I remove the cork seal?