Mechanical Pencil

cenkstrem

I just got a Uni Kuru Toga and am impressed. It doesn't come with a rubber grip so there's nothing to slip or get soft over time. However the "engine" to rotate the lead as you write keeps your writing point sharp so you don't have to rotate your pencil when you write. The engine is more of a ratcheting mechanism that moves whenever you press down to write and then ease off the pressure when you lift your pencil to write another word.

I was sceptical of the Uni claims and ads but now that I've written with one I am sold.

+1 Great pencil.

"Spend all you want! We'll print more!" - B. S. (What's a Weimar?) Bernanke

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• dapv

• ticoun

• adallak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got a Uni Kuru Toga and am impressed. It doesn't come with a rubber grip so there's nothing to slip or get soft over time. However the "engine" to rotate the lead as you write keeps your writing point sharp so you don't have to rotate your pencil when you write. The engine is more of a ratcheting mechanism that moves whenever you press down to write and then ease off the pressure when you lift your pencil to write another word.

I was sceptical of the Uni claims and ads but now that I've written with one I am sold.

+1 Great pencil.

so far i've ordered a staedtler 925 in 0.9mm and a kuru toga in 0.5mm after reading this thread.

Just got the staedtler 925 today, and it is a fine pencil.

I considered all the pencils you listed in my own recent search for a new pencil. I don't think you can go wrong, whatever you choose.

I ended up acquiring a Pentel Sharp Kerry and a Uni Kuru Toga Roulette (version w/ the knurled metal grip) and love them both. Each pencil features solid construction and attention to detail. And of course, most importantly, both are comfortable to use during extended note taking sessions.

If only I could combine the two then I would have the perfect mechanical pencil. I would marry the sleek, classic aesthetics, superb balance, pocket friendliness and pen-like feel of the Sharp Kerry with the lead sharpening mechanism of the Kuru Toga. It's what dreams are made of!

But since we don't have that, I say go for the Kuru Toga (especially since pocket carry is not important for you). The lead sharpening mechanism provides a really clean, consistent line. And you can feel it when it's working. It's really cool in a totally geeky yet utterly satisfying way. In fact, I like my Kuru Toga Roulette so much that sometimes I feel like using it instead of my also recently acquired Diamond 540 - which is really a feat because I'm enamored with the 540.

I have had a Caran d'Ache Ecridor for years and it is my favorite pencil that I have. I find it comfortable but it is thin so it may not be a good fit for bigger hands.

I love my Rotring Rapid Pro, which has a retractable tip (and therefore won't get bent). I write a lot with it. I would also seriously consider getting a 0.7mm as I find the 0.5 leads break a little too often, even when not pressing too hard. Also if you want to write for long sessions I would advise getting B or 2B leads as this makes a smoother softer writing experience. As a bonus the line tends to be blacker.

Hope this helps

RGH

Forget about .5 and .7 leads. .9 is nothing.

How about these!?

This is a custom pen and pencil by Jeb and the pencil takes a 3mm lead.

gallery_41188_9_279.jpg

This one goes with my big yellow, and feels AMAZING in the hand. I LOVE - do you hear me? - LOVE this pencil.

It takes a 5.6 lead. It is SO sweet. Also by Jeb. He does GREAT work. Go check him out. He also makes kits with .5 and .6 .7 leads.

gallery_41188_9_137590.jpg

gallery_41188_9_15723.jpg

Edited by watch_art

I'm not a huge pencil person, but I would definitely give the Kuru Toga a try if I were you. The machanism really does work, and it allows you to use softer leads since the pencil is always rotating the lead. I think the Roulette is the best model--at least, I like the textured metal grip. However, if you want to give it a try Uni makes a cheaper all plastic version using the exact same mechanism. Give it a try first, and then you can decide if you want to commit to one of the more expensive models.

I'm not a huge pencil person, but I would definitely give the Kuru Toga a try if I were you. The machanism really does work, and it allows you to use softer leads since the pencil is always rotating the lead. I think the Roulette is the best model--at least, I like the textured metal grip. However, if you want to give it a try Uni makes a cheaper all plastic version using the exact same mechanism. Give it a try first, and then you can decide if you want to commit to one of the more expensive models.

I have the basic, and the Roulette. The roulette's balance is very well done, feels solid, and the mecahnism is great. The basic one feels distinctively more plasticky (well it should...), IS lighter due to the lack of metal, but build wise is as solid as the Roulette. I personally carry the Roulette, and leave the basic one at home, and run them on 2B lead which feels so smooth compared to HB. Thanks to the sharpening too, it doesn't ever get that flat spot and maintains an excellent line.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

I have the basic, and the Roulette. The roulette's balance is very well done, feels solid, and the mecahnism is great. The basic one feels distinctively more plasticky (well it should...), IS lighter due to the lack of metal, but build wise is as solid as the Roulette. I personally carry the Roulette, and leave the basic one at home, and run them on 2B lead which feels so smooth compared to HB. Thanks to the sharpening too, it doesn't ever get that flat spot and maintains an excellent line.

I've heard that with cursive, where you're not always lifting the pencil up, the rotation device doesn't work very effectively at stopping the flat spot.

What's your experience, because I quite liked the idea (and look of them).

Edit: Typo

Edited by RGH

I've heard that with cursive, where you're not always lifting the pencil up, the rotation device doesn't work very effectively at stopping the flat spot.

Yes that is a downside with the Kuru, it doesn't really work without lifting... My main use for pencils these days is limited to Scantrons and rough notes on exams (which tends to be math, molecules, or small printed notes) so it rarely shows up. To be absolutely honest though, you can notice it slightly between words due to the 2B flattening rather fast (due to the softness), but when you lift between words its usually enough to reset and rotate. As a point of reference with the 2B lead, I'm getting a dull-like effect at the 3rd or 4th letter, and after that its semi dull until you pickup and write the next word. If it matters to you, I use the Ain Stein lead.

The Basic's loaded with the included HB, and the effect is slightly minimized, and I can manage 5-6 letters before the dull-look starts appearing. However, I seem to press harder with the HB (probably because its nowhere near as smooth...), so I'm not sure how fair of a comparison that is, given that its also a different brand of lead.

I will also give fair warning that if you're used to wider pens like the TWSBI, or even platinum preppies, the Kuru line is relatively thin in comparison. Its something I noticed anyway, when I picked mine up. Otherwise, both are solid and perform precisely as advertised. Roulette's knurling on the barrel is also nice and subtle, so it grips perfectly without hurting.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/CxTPB/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg Member since Sept 7, 2010

TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado

Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood

Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

Staedtler Mars Micro

Pocket safe (not a deal breaker for you you said but its always nice)

Cylindrical tip (good for drawing graphing if needed)

Cushioned lead (has a little bounce so you break the lead a lot less)

I like the grip, fits well for me. I don't do protracted writing sessions so I can't tell you if it works for that. Not too spendy, $11 or so for a two pack.

You are correct: Unless you print or write a lot of numbers, the mechanism doesn't do a lot of good. I took for granted the fact I use a type of print (ie non cursive) handwriting. However, even with cursive, the lead will still rotate approx 4 degrees for each word, more if you're dotting i's and crossing t's.

Lamy Vista or Safari.

Ideal girth, weight and length, very strong, very good for long writing secessions, I also use mine to fill forms with tiny writing spaces.

My hands do not hurt and it is very comfortable.

Another option would be vintage pencils, check David's mechanical pencils to see what you like then visit Pendemonium writing instrument link to find out what kind of vintage or recent production mechanical pencils they have.

Not affiliated, just an happy customer.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I have used the Uni Kuru-Toga for several days now and am very impressed. The way the lead rotates is a simple pleasure, clever mechanism that.

I do say that the Staedtler 925 is probably a better pencil quality wise, but the novelty of the Uni Kuru-Toga is quite high. For 6-7 bucks a piece, own both!

Check the TK4600 from Faber-Castell.I use that the last 12 years.

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

I have used the Uni Kuru-Toga for several days now and am very impressed. The way the lead rotates is a simple pleasure, clever mechanism that.

I do say that the Staedtler 925 is probably a better pencil quality wise, but the novelty of the Uni Kuru-Toga is quite high. For 6-7 bucks a piece, own both!

I've just learned that there are 2 other versions of the Uni Kuru-Toga:

Roulette

High Grade

Both lose the clear acrylic window to the cool rotating mechanism, but look like they up the ante in terms of materials.

I'm new here! As a side, I just joined the FP club and FPN, purchased my first FP, Pelikan M200 last week....

Now on the topic of mechanical pencils, I have a collection of 0.7mm, Pental Kerry, Graphgear, M205, plus others. I have found that the Kerry is the most comfortable to write with (for non-drafting) and the graphgear great for "clicking" during long meetings. I general use 2B lead since I like the darker print and smoother writing. I also have 2mm a Steadler 925 (non-clutch), a Caran d'Ache Fixpencil,a Staedler Mars micro (both clutch), which I found if you do not need a really sharp point and with a hard lead, it can be used with infrequent sharpening.

In addition, I have a Kaweco 5.6mm clutch, beautiful writing instrument.

For the past several months I have been using a Faber-Castell E-Motion wood with grey metal end caps. The lead is 1.4mm. I was at first skeptical due to the thick lead. However, I have to tell you that I love the feel of the pencil holding it and writing with it. As I write, I continuously rotate the pencil slowly to keep the point and prevent flat spots. The lead is only available in grade B. The twist mechanism is so smooth, which is what I play with during those long meetings!

If you have a pen store near you look into the E-Motion, you might be pleasantly surprised!

If you want to stay with 0.7mm, then my vote would be the Pental Kerry, besides the cap which is a nice feature, the pencil is comfortable to use for a long stretch at a time. Try using a softer lead than HB (2B,4B)to give you the dark print without applying heavy pressure and leading to fatigue and breaking the lead.

Yehuda

I'm new here! As a side, I just joined the FP club and FPN, purchased my first FP, Pelikan M200 last week....

Now on the topic of mechanical pencils, I have a collection of 0.7mm, Pental Kerry, Graphgear, M205, plus others. I have found that the Kerry is the most comfortable to write with (for non-drafting) and the graphgear great for "clicking" during long meetings. I general use 2B lead since I like the darker print and smoother writing. I also have 2mm a Steadler 925 (non-clutch), a Caran d'Ache Fixpencil,a Staedler Mars micro (both clutch), which I found if you do not need a really sharp point and with a hard lead, it can be used with infrequent sharpening.

In addition, I have a Kaweco 5.6mm clutch, beautiful writing instrument.

For the past several months I have been using a Faber-Castell E-Motion wood with grey metal end caps. The lead is 1.4mm. I was at first skeptical due to the thick lead. However, I have to tell you that I love the feel of the pencil holding it and writing with it. As I write, I continuously rotate the pencil slowly to keep the point and prevent flat spots. The lead is only available in grade B. The twist mechanism is so smooth, which is what I play with during those long meetings!

If you have a pen store near you look into the E-Motion, you might be pleasantly surprised!

If you want to stay with 0.7mm, then my vote would be the Pental Kerry, besides the cap which is a nice feature, the pencil is comfortable to use for a long stretch at a time. Try using a softer lead than HB (2B,4B)to give you the dark print without applying heavy pressure and leading to fatigue and breaking the lead.

Yehuda

:W2FPN:

i too like the darker 4B lead, but i've only found it in the .5's. do you know where to get the .7 that soft... in the US, that is?

What about a Lamy 2000? My 3 fav. mechanical pencils are: Lamy 2000 (0.7), Lamy Scribble, and a Pentel Graphgear 1000 in that order.

I have to admit that my Lamy 2000 FP was a bit of a disappointment to me - but NOT the pencil. It's the best. It outshines my CdA easily.

Seriously, consider the Lamy 2000 :)

Good luck!

Used to have a Lamy 2000 (fine nib). The body cracked, the piston was very tight. Wasn't happy with it and eventually it got lost. Now I have a TWSBI 540. Not much a collection but I really like my pen. I have a small collection of mechanical pencils where the Lamy 2000 (0.7) is my favourite.

I have been using my Pentel Q1005 which is now known as Pentel Smash for 7 years or so and it never let me down. I used to take a lot and a lot of notes and solve exercises, tests with it (studied engineering), so it had very excessive use. It has a really precise writing (0.5) which I am really fond of. The grip is near perfect and altough it is a bit lightweight I guess it's more convenient for long periods of writing.

Also recently I have purchased some both old and new Rotring 600s and I must admit they are amazing in both writing and design, but nevertheless Pentel Smash is a much more affordable (and replacable) pencil.

I would definitly recommend it.