Pelikan Souveran- Worst Pen Design Ever

kauloltran

The threads or their placement on my M800 don't bother me at all - the loose cap irritates far more. It ought to be more secure on such an expensive, new pen. None of my oldies really suffer in the same way.

I have the same issue with my Montblanc 146, so it's not only Pelikans that have screw-on caps that can work loose in your pocket.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kauloltran

• pajaro

• Indy_Pen_Dance

• Soundsider

I have no problems with the M200 threads.

But the cap scrwes very loose. Is this common?

yup..sure is

very annoying

You are not alone.

Yep -- here too. Many years ago had an 800 unscrew inside a sport jacket pocket -- capillary action worked awesome! Ruined the area around the pocket and much of the inner liner (fortunately it never spread to the outside of the jacket). :rolleyes:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

I tried to feel this but I hardly notice the threads.

I would say the gold section near the grip is a bad design and the threads can be a little eager to open (also happen to my other pens) but i would not say it is the worst design ever, maybe you just need to adjust your grip?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

I think ‘kauloltran’ has manufactured a problem to fabricate an issue, and wrote an inflammatory post to see what kind of response it would generate.:hmm1: The answers offered by all of us are so obvious, (and the best being, use a different pen since the issue is isolated to kauloltran's Pelikans), that I think ‘kauloltran’ would have been too embarrassed to say he needed help in making such a choice! If any of you had a problem with Pelikan being ‘searingly painful to hold’ while trying to write a few or 10,000 words what do you think you’d do about it? Duh!:doh:

I guess that the title of the post has indeed drawn a lot of attention, but I must say I very much doubt that ‘kauloltran’ was serious about Pelikan being a bad design in his post and was testing the loyalty we would display in defending our beloved pens. :roflmho: Is ‘kauloltran’ wearing a big grin, saying “gottcha!!!” ?.:P

Lou

Kauloltran - I haven't had any trouble with threads that are light and fine. No problems with Pelikans - BUT - I do agree that some pens can irritate a little. I usually have two pens going at the same time. The Valor is one that bothers me for some reason, so you're not along out there.

Never had a problem with the threads on mine, a 205 Demo. I can feel them but they've never bitten me or caused me any discomfort or inconvenience. Same deal with every other Pelikan I've tried from the M400s to the M1005 3B.

That said, if the pen's design doesn't suit your hand, you could always offload the Peli. With the price increases scheduled for next month, you should be able to get a good price for it.

I have never had an issue with any Pel. I just throw a small fish it's way...lol. Seriously, 400,800,or 1000 size, no notice of discomfort....even with extended writing time. Try soaking your pen hand in a saline solution ,for a few minutes daily, for a couple of days..that'll toughen up the ol' writing flipper. It just might help.

I think ‘kauloltran’ has manufactured a problem to fabricate an issue, and wrote an inflammatory post to see what kind of response it would generate.:hmm1: The answers offered by all of us are so obvious, (and the best being, use a different pen since the issue is isolated to kauloltran's Pelikans), that I think ‘kauloltran’ would have been too embarrassed to say he needed help in making such a choice! If any of you had a problem with Pelikan being ‘searingly painful to hold’ while trying to write a few or 10,000 words what do you think you’d do about it? Duh!:doh:

I guess that the title of the post has indeed drawn a lot of attention, but I must say I very much doubt that ‘kauloltran’ was serious about Pelikan being a bad design in his post and was testing the loyalty we would display in defending our beloved pens. :roflmho: Is ‘kauloltran’ wearing a big grin, saying “gottcha!!!” ?.:P

Lou

Lack of response of any kind to feedback supports your observation. Guess the joke's on us for presuming this to be a serious post by 'kauloltran.'

...jumps over the lazy dog.

Lack of response of any kind to feedback supports your observation. Guess the joke's on us for presuming this to be a serious post by 'kauloltran.'

You can also check some of the other topics kaulotran has started.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

You can also check some of the other topics kaulotran has started.

I concur with you.. .

All youse gotta to do is read.. .

Reading Is Fundamental.. .

Fred.. .

for its all for one and one for all.. .

OMG we've all been baited...

Does this mean that he won't be offering his worst design pen to some lucky soul to buy at a really reduced price since it is so horrible? :crybaby:

No, but I am bothered by those who post complaints about the most insignificant issues.

That's the main purpose of a public internet forum.

Greetings,

Michael

Does anyone feel bothered by the thread section on the Pelikan Souverans? I don't know if the material is to blame for, but the threads have always been rather annoying and irritating to the touch. With the threads being obtrusive on the body, the Pelikan souverans are searingly painful to hold for a long time, if parts of your fingers come in contact with the threads, because of the abrasive feel of the plastic on the skin. I am sick and fed up with the feeling of the threads scratching against my skin. I can get around this problem by gripping the gold ring, not the body, and holding the pen very close to the nib, but it's not a natural method for me. The thread sections on my Aurora pens ( 88 and Optimas) are subtle, soft to the touch and don't irritate the skin when touching them (could be due to the rubber-ish texture of the resin). I can see that Pelikan has made the effort to rectify this problem in their nature special editions, by making the thread section appear smaller and the center girth wider to eliminate the any discomforts while holding. The only pelikan pens that I own are the M200, M800, and an SP Everest, the last of which is the most comfortable pen for me. Anyone else share the same feeling? Do you think they should remodel the thread section?

A drive-by post?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks to everyone who took their time to respond. I haven't had time to visit this forum so I apologize for my lack of follow-up responses. I am a serious fountain pen user and I do find the threads to be an unforgiving design flaw..

Maybe you can snap a shot of you holding pelikan pens when you are writing?

I feel the the threads is great as it can serve as a fiction holder as it will not make the pen be so slippery when writing.

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.

Maybe an answer would be to design a writing instrument that had no threads to cause discomfort; no cap to fall off in pockets etc and make a mess; was available with a wide choice of coloured writing media; could be available with different outer finishes.

Oh, someone has.

They're called crayons.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"