The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Baby!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wnclee

wnclee

The Lustful Scribe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 00:34

Just got the newest edition to my pen collection delivered today. It is the Conklin Crescent Mark Twain series with a fine nib and is the yellow/blue combo...Also, delivered was a bottle of the Iroshizuku ku-jaku[peacock] made in Japan. It not only is the best writing ink i've ever posessed,but the most expensive also, but worth every penny. The name aptly describes the color with a grennish/blue and other subtle tones depending on the light and the paper. Flows like butter...The pen itself would make any ink flow so great, though. Wrote straight away-right out of the box as the nib has the perfect bend without any break-in time. Surprisingly, the pen was larger than most pics on the 'net show. Comfortable weight and heft, good balance, not top-heavy and being made of resins, you can write for hours without fatique. Has the patented "crescent" filling system and in 3 or 4 pumps; your loaded...Simply turn the ring below the crescent and your locked and ready to go. The pen was $165.00, but most are selling for $130.00 or so. I've a nice collection of pens from some of the great pen manufacture countries around the world [even Germany] but this ONE pen has changed my mind: I firmly state the good old US of A produces great pens. But, I would be greatly remiss in saying that the "crescent" ring does have a bit of play in it, which does bother me a little. Don't let this little SNAFU prevent you from thinking sbout buying this wonderful writing instrument...The ink is great too, but at $35.00/ bottle for the ink; this pen would more than make any "lesser" ink write good...Don't overlook this little gem of a pen. Guess what i'm headed-off to do now? Take care, LeRoy conklin1.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:46

Very interesting pens. Nice weight in the hand, too. Don't care for the clip at all.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:53

I have to agree that the clip on the Mark Twain Crescent is a bit "bleh". I have the limited edition version of this pen with the black chased pattern body. Nice size and the steel nib has a really nice spring to it. One of my favourite writers!

The nib is pretty wet...Parker Quink BB looks great out of this nib. I must say that this won't be my last Conklin.

#4 saketb

saketb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:59

Nice and a beautiful pen indeed! The yellow and blue combination goes well in this pen. But the ink is on the higher side, though.
Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red
Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade
Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red
Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green
TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple
Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

#5 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2011 - 16:37

Thanks for the review, I keep looking at the black ones...

#6 threeamigos

threeamigos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 17:13

Thank you for the review. I've been considering this pen for a long time, but haven't committed just yet. I haven't notice many reviews and the online sellers are a bit vague in their descriptions. Your review has way more detail. I wonder how long the pen is capped? Any size reference compared to other pens would be greatly appreicated.

#7 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:15

I have mine on hand so here goes:

Capped: 14.0cm or roughly 5.5 inches
Uncapped (barrel end to section only, minus nib): 10.5cm or roughly 4.2 inches.
Diameter: 1.0cm or roughly 0.45 inches

#8 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:10

nice pen, indeed... but i gotta have me the vintage!

#9 threeamigos

threeamigos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 17:40

I have mine on hand so here goes:

Capped: 14.0cm or roughly 5.5 inches
Uncapped (barrel end to section only, minus nib): 10.5cm or roughly 4.2 inches.
Diameter: 1.0cm or roughly 0.45 inches

Thank you!

Sponsored Content

|