Rust On A Visconti Rembrandt

GOB Bluth

I am curious if this is normal wear / usage or not? It strikes me as something that should not happen. I have a photo to show what is going on. It appears to be right where the cap (magnetic closure) come in contact with the pen. The pen is only one year old, purchased last Thanksgiving.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6253881231_7ef6e5668b_z.jpg

Edited by GOB Bluth

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmbd7h3

• GOB Bluth

• Raskolnikov

• schuco

I see the rust. I guess any ferrous materials (like magnets) that close to the nib will be subject to high humidity from the inks and rust. I don't have this pen (my only magnetically closed pen is the Nettuno Shark pen which has the magnets way up on the cap where it is not exposed to the humidity from the nib.

This to me looks like a design defect and you should be contacting Visconti. :(

• 5 months later...

Hey all. If I can revive an old topic, I have the same rust issue. When I look into the cap, it is rusted even worse. After contacting Coles of London, the Visconti distributor for the US, I am told I need to pay to ship my pen to Florida and pay $25 to get the pen repaired / replaced under warranty. Is anyone familiar with this $25 charge? It doesn't seem right that I have to pay to have a pen repaired under warranty. Thanks for your help.

Hey all. If I can revive an old topic, I have the same rust issue. When I look into the cap, it is rusted even worse. After contacting Coles of London, the Visconti distributor for the US, I am told I need to pay to ship my pen to Florida and pay $25 to get the pen repaired / replaced under warranty. Is anyone familiar with this $25 charge? It doesn't seem right that I have to pay to have a pen repaired under warranty. Thanks for your help.

Yeah... Visconti/Cole of london is a pain in the A$$ for that. They had a misplated nib, that I had to shell out to have replaced. Go figure...

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I had exactly the same problem with a Rembrandt as well. The whole pen was replaced at once, free of any charge, on the spot (Visconti showroom) and without further questions :) And I didn't even have the receipt with me.

Its no question : it should not happend !

The ring has to be manufactured in iron to be magnetic and the protection was made to avoid rust.

Unfortunatly in some pens rust appers after 1 year from the purchase.

Visconti replace it under warranty no matter if the pen is still or not in warranty.

visconti distributor in USA has spare parts in stock and the pen do not need to be shipped in Italy.

Sorry for that

The ring has to be manufactured in iron to be magnetic and the protection was made to avoid rust.

Visconti replace it under warranty no matter if the pen is still or not in warranty.

visconti distributor in USA has spare parts in stock and the pen do not need to be shipped in Italy.

Sorry for that

Hehe guys, try and find some other corporations' chairman who doesn't mind personally intervening/explaining/answering.

By the way, I know it's a bit off topic, just wanted you to know how perfect choice was Mr. Quercia for the showroom, it contributed a bit to my fondness for Visconti. And it all started with a "rusted" Rembrandt.

Rogozin (on the "other" forum)

Thanks for the advice to all who offered it. After reviewing the warranty statement included with the pen, I have concluded Coles of London is operating outside the terms of the warranty offered by Visconti by insisting upon payment to provide warranty work.

I will be in Italy in two months so I will just wait so I can deal directly with Visconti.

The CEO is popping in here. Drop into "Visconti Day" or catch him up in the New Members under Delveccio. :thumbup:

This is your chance to talk straight to the top.

Looks like this rust problem does not affect only the Rembrandt.

It's more colourful sister model, the new Van Gogh 2011 suffers from the same problem too :headsmack: My Van Gogh Sunflowers, which I bought in July last year was similarly affected as the TS's pen. In fact there's a spot of greenish muck on the iron at the edge of the section that constitute part of the magnetic closing system :(

I too believe this is a design flaw and/or poorly executed rust protection. I have a couple of old Nettunos with a similar magnetic capping system too, and not a spot of rust is to be seen even today. The magnets in the Nettunos are not located in the same area as the Visconti's, though.

Living in a hot, humid climate like Malaysia does not help matters, I suppose :P

I'm not sure about replacement, though. Sending it back to Italy can be costly and risky. And I'm not sure whether the local Visconti distributors, Pengallery or KS Gill carry the Van Gogh 2011 models here :rolleyes:

Shahrin B)

As Dante has mentioned teething problems with the magnetic closures rusting, I have inquired as to the best way to addres this situation inthe USA. I will share his thoughts here if I receive a reply.

Fellow FPNers, here is Dante's reply regarding the $25 charge from Coles of London ...

Hi Jon,

Rust on Rembrandt section is a repair in full warranty so you should not pay any money except transportation fee that is not covered from the warranty.

Regards

Del Vecchio

As is the case with most warranty coverages throughout the world, the buyer is responsible to get the item to the manufacturer for repair. This is certainly fair as the manufacturer has no control in where the purchaser decides to take the item. Beyond this, some manufacturer's warranties have a deductible (usually on capital purchases), but this is not the case for Visconti pens.

On another note, Dante replied quickly and clearly to the issue. He must be beyond over worked with his level of engagement in the pen culture. I am thrilled to see his commitment and integrity. Kudos to Dante and his brand.

• 3 months later...

I have that same rust ! guess I should contact our local agent in Singapore ?

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

1333717168[/url]' post='2304418']

Sorry for that

Ahhh Mr Del Vecchio, I've been looking for you; I had a problem with my Eco Rembrandt Rollerball and sent it in for repairs. They kindly replaced the whole pen for the 25.00 BUT lost my OEM converter. I contacted a young lady and she replaced it with an aftermarket one that split on 2-3 sides when I installed it. I wrote an e-mail to Ken Jones about it who promptly ignored my e-mail for a OEM replacement like I had when I sent my pen in.I am proud to say that I have approx. 18 pieces of Visconti in my stable of inventory. Maybe you can help me?

Warmest Regards,

Edited by Chi Town

• 2 weeks later...

I have the rust issue for years now, because I'm one of the first Rembrandt users in Turkey. The pen is replaced by the distributor at least 3 times without charges. But, every single time they told me that the problem is fixed. I had even tried to contact directly the firm but no replies. Current situtation is like this: my Rembrandt stays uninked on the shelf. So, who can reassure that it won't happen again? Shall I contact the distributor one more time?

By the way I should add that no matter what, I still love the pen and especially the nib. That's why it bothers me.

Edited by schuco

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have contact info for Visconti in US to get this repaired?

• 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but I think I also have this rust problem with my van Gogh pens, although right now there are only some small corrosion specks (but within 3 months after buying them). Could anyone please post a pic of their pen section that was affected by rust, so I can compare?