Where do you get your MBs?

kenny

Obviously vintage MBs are purchased from the secondary market. Where do you get your MODERN MBs? (most common source, if more than one source)  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Obviously vintage MBs are purchased from the secondary market. Where do you get your MODERN MBs? (most common source, if more than one source)

• MontBlanc Boutique
    • Brick and Mortar Pen Store (not MB Boutique)
    • Large Online Retailer (new, first owner)
    • Secondary Market (ebay, shows, private sellers, etc.)-used
    • I buy vintage MB exclusively, no modern ones

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kenny

• StanSoph

• goodguy

• Allan

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful with the polls. ;)

Point taken. Writing Instruments seems to have been taken over by pointless and trivial polls lately.

However, I actually felt that this poll might provide useful information (at least to me). A buyer of a NEW/modern MB (and that is why I specified new/modern) has several options for their purchase. This is in contrast with someone who collects vintage pens (MB or other brands) who really can only buy from the secondary market.

However, MB in particular is a target of manufacturers of fakes. This provides a quandrary for the new/modern MB buyer....does he get a pen from a "safe" source (the safest would be a MB Boutique) and possibly pay more, or does he venture into the minefield of the internet to find a better deal?

Every MB I have ever bought was from the MB Boutique. (My wife won my one non-Boutique MB as a prize in a drawing at another pen store.) They actually have given me good service, and when the threads on my Boheme somehow got stripped (or actually detached) they replaced it for me gratis.

However, I ask myself if there are other options that would be practical. Thus, I created this poll to see what others are doing.

Edited by kenny

I like to be able to test pens and compare them to different models while getting advice from peoples knowing their products so i choose Montblanc boutique of course it is a bit more expensive than getting pens from ebay but I'm sure not to get some fake this way too.

Edited by Keldun

I went with 'secondary market', but I've shopped in and spent a lot of time in the MB Boutiques too. I have nothing but praise for the people who work in the ones I frequent in London. They know about their products and seem genuinely enthusuastic and respectful.

Ray

Kenny,

Thanks for not getting sideways about the polls . You hit the nail on the head about why. This is a relavant poll for all to benefit from. Learn and share.

I have bought one pen at the boutique, a Mozart for my wife. I was disappointed when I asked the Boutique if the would match a local B&M store; it seemed as though they didn't want the business. Most pens I buy from a local staitionery store. They are helpful and give me a modest discount plus I like to patronize local shops.

The internet and classifieds are another resource I have used with good results.

I am really ticked off that the Boutique won't match a local shops price. My local shop has to order what I want but the MB store has them in stock.

Glad to be a MB enthusiast.

John

Overachieving Underachiever

All posts edited by my dog

I am really ticked off that the Boutique won't match a local shops price. My local shop has to order what I want but the MB store has them in stock.

This seems to be in keeping with their overall price policy; for example, I understand that authorized MB sellers are not allowed to post their prices on the internet. I assume it has something to do with the effort to keep themselves seen as an "upscale brand".

Not sure how to vote.

I bought a mint Generation from a friend and a used 149 from another friend.

these are not vintage pens so I really cant vote.

Respect to all

I prefer the B&M pen store as I can try them all out and be confident that I am getting the genuine article. I would also buy from a reputable online pen store.

I think that they can price better than the MB Boutique too.

Dawn

Not sure how to vote.

I bought a mint Generation from a friend and a used 149 from another friend.

these are not vintage pens so I really cant vote.

Actually, your situation fits "secondary market, used".

The pens were obtained from your friends--that is an example of a secondary market. They were used--(presumably your friends used them before selling them).

Please note in the title of the poll--this is specifically NOT for vintage MB pens, since there is only one option for those (secondary market, of various degrees).

I bought the last 4 MB used on the Greenboard.

I bought the 144 and 146 for my wife while I bought 2 of the 149s for big daddy!! ;)

Now IMHO I find that the 14kt gold nibs to be more of my liking than the 18kt gold nibs on the 149 pens. I have 2 of the 149 from the late 80's time period (I am pretty sure) and I find the nibs to have a bit more spring than the later 18kt gold 149 nibs. I was using my Dad's the other day and I like the 18kt gold nib but I find it to be rather stiff in comparison to both of mine which are the 14kt gold nibs. I also tried a few of the 18kt gold nibs at the pen show in LA earlier in the year and I came to the same conclusion. Regardless, I love my MB and I find them to be fantastic FPs but a little too costly IMO. I guess that is why I like to buy mine used!!!

My 2 cents

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• 3 weeks later...

I only have 3 MB.

1. 149

2. Generation

3. SL or Noblese

I got all 3 from private sellers that owned it for a while and sold it to me.

Respect to all

I did not vote because I do a couple of them. I have bought new and used from the bay , used from the green board, and bought two new from a boutique. Of course the best price deals were from the bay, but the service, the little extras, etc, keep me thinking about buying from the boutique.

Allan

I bought one from the boutique, one from the Greenboard, and one from Ebay. If I buy any in the future it will probably be from an online dealer (Joon, FPH, etc)because there are so many fakes on Ebay* and I didn't like the way I was treated at the boutique when I wasn't wearing a suit.

Ben

* The one I got was genuine but it takes a lot of research to ensure you are not getting a fake.

I voted for the "Brick/Mortar Store" because I buy a good percentage of my Montblanc pens at my local authorized dealer (jewelry and watch store) where I also enjoy a small discount (if you have a regular pen request, feel free to ask if I can help).

However, for more special requests, I always work with the boutiques since their expertise is unparalleled. I travel the world in search of Montblanc boutiques and I'm pleased to say that most of them have very enthusiastic personnel. I'm lucky that the one I frequent here in my local area is also exceptional and on par with those I've visited across the globe.

The most disappointing Montblanc boutiques I've seen are Taipei 101 (the new tallest building in the world) and Las Vegas Ceasar's Forum Shops. These boutiques in my opinion were uninspired and the staff seemed lazy and poorly trained when I was there. The Duty Free airport boutiques (outside of the US) are also questionable in terms of quality in the staffing.

Personally, I would be very wary of acquiring Montblanc pens off eBay since I'd be afraid of potential ripoffs. But every man to his own.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by patrick_y

secondary market as well as brick and mortar pen store. My 149 was baught at a pawnshop but for services like repair and accesories I went to a brick and mortar pen store.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

First one was from Lizell when they were clearing them out, great discount on a 145 but sold it because even then I felt it was too much money for that pen, then bought my brother a 146 Rollerball as a gift from Ashford for again a good price, next was a 145 again which my wife bought me from America's pen Collection in NYC, have that as it was a gift but she only got the usual MB discount which isn't much compared to what I paid before...then bought a whole bunch of Generations series when my local Costco was clearing them out, sold all and my wife bought me another from there as a gift, and finally got a good deal on a 146 from someone on ebay but sold it in a few days as I didn't like the pen, now I am done with MB and onto other brands, still have two and am fine with that.

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"