Sf Pen Show Report

AltecGreen

Joi, when I say to Kernan on the phone, "Get Joi and Pat and bring them with you," please GET IN THE CAR. I feel so bad that you missed this part. LA Pen Posse will make up for it somehow. We will rock that show!

Jon, I am looking forward to meeting you. Bring your musical instruments! (Just a suggestion....)

Deirdre, thanks for saying Detlef. I thought "Dietmar" didn't sound right, but it sounded righter than "Dieter," but... okay, Detlef. Yes. Rock on.

Seriously, you locals who came to the show and we talked, I enjoyed meeting you and encourage you to come to Pen Posse. We have ink!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• ethernautrix

• jlepens

• JonSzanto

Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! I haven't had kbbq in a long time.

Ethernautrix: the little side dishes are called ban chan. Lol, I didn't even get Detlef's name when I met him at his store. Heck, didn't even know it was his store LOL. SO called him "the guy that looks like Fabio".

This was post-show opening-day Pen Posse, after dinner at the Korean BBQ place (which was really good, even though a couple of marauders from the other table *coughRickycough* raided and pillaged our table of its... Korean tapas (I don't know the name for those little dishes of deliciousness)). (I know. We said we didn't mind, but we laughed at your pirate maneuver!)

Hey wait a minute! Lucia was the mastermind behind the ban chan heist. I was the driver. You guys weren't eating the little fishes.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Deirdre, thanks for saying Detlef. I thought "Dietmar" didn't sound right, but it sounded righter than "Dieter," but... okay, Detlef. Yes. Rock on.

"Dietmar"? Sounds like you are jonesing for Dittmer's sausage. You forgot to mention Steve's microwave meat chips. Mmmmmmmm....... Meatchips.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

This might shock you, Ricky, but I'm not the one who joneses for sausage. I know what's in there! (I think you are the jonesin' one!)

Oh man! I forgot to mention Travberg's treasures! His Stanhope pen! How will I ever explain a Stanhope without photos? Helloooo, Google (and the Smithsonian)!

Hahaha, Travberg = meat chips. There's already controversy over meat chip orthodoxy: grilled (Doug/Travberg) or microwaved (Steve).

etherX in To Miasto

Ethernautrix: the little side dishes are called ban chan. Lol, I didn't even get Detlef's name when I met him at his store. Heck, didn't even know it was his store LOL. SO called him "the guy that looks like Fabio".

Thanks, Mango. I love the ban chan! The broccoli especially.

I was embarrassed, because Pen Posse descended upon Bittner's a few months ago, and Detlef hadn't known we were coming. He was gracious and accommodating and showed us the area downstairs where the inventory comes in. That was a real treat.

Did I meet you at John Mottishaw's table (nibs.com)? Some folks came up and mentioned Pen Posse or FPN without telling me their FPN names.

I had a great time the entire weekend. So much fun!

etherX in To Miasto

Thanks, Mango. I love the ban chan! The broccoli especially.

I was embarrassed, because Pen Posse descended upon Bittner's a few months ago, and Detlef hadn't known we were coming. He was gracious and accommodating and showed us the area downstairs where the inventory comes in. That was a real treat.

Did I meet you at John Mottishaw's table (nibs.com)? Some folks came up and mentioned Pen Posse or FPN without telling me their FPN names.

I had a great time the entire weekend. So much fun!

Unfortunately no, I didn't make it to the pen show at all. The day I had sort of planned to go, I had to run to the dentist as a molar had cracked headsmack.gif.

Anyway, just wanted to share my Pen Show pictorial with y'all!

I love a person with a good sense of priorities. Well done, Ms. Trix.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Alas, Mango! I hope the cracked molar isn't connected to your bike rides. Eek!

I think the response to this Pen Show means there'll be another one next year. And there's the LA Pen Show in February. I'm thinking (vaguely, so that what it means doesn't really penetrate my consciousness) of riding my bike down there and grabbing a ride on the way back. We'll see.

Jon, thank you kindly.

etherX in To Miasto

[quote name=ethernautrix'

Oh man! I forgot to mention Travberg's treasures! His Stanhope pen! How will I ever explain a Stanhope without photos? Helloooo, Google (and the Smithsonian)!

what were the photos?

have a buttonhook with Stanhope - multiple shots of Rouen Fr.

being part of Team Mottishaw must have been a blast!

describe KBBQ please? Korean BBQ served tapas style/variety?

That's just a quart bottle of Carter's blue-black, without a label, because it was soaked off by the ink that leaked out, from the cap being cracked off when it was mailed without padding. And that's why I have plastic wrap and a cork in it, until I find a bottle cap that fits.

Sheaffer Skrip comes in prettier bottles that don't look like they'd hold a 40 of beer.

Who plays what instruments? Flute and piccolo here, and I guess recorder, and whistles if anybody has some.

what were the photos?

have a buttonhook with Stanhope - multiple shots of Rouen Fr.

being part of Team Mottishaw must have been a blast!

describe KBBQ please? Korean BBQ served tapas style/variety?

uh...I forgot my camera on Friday so no pics. I'll get Doug to send a picture.

As for Korean BBQ, the BBQ part is a variety of thinly sliced meats (often marinated but sometimes not) and/or seafood. The tables have a grill and the waitresses bring the raw meat out. You cook the meat right in front of you. The one we went to is a very decent and typical Korean BBQ in the US. The grill runs on gas although the best Korean BBQs do it old school and use hot charcoal. The more popular Korean BBQ dishes are bulgogi and galbi although I prefer the spicier daeji bulgogi made from pork. The grilled meat is served with some rice and often lettuce. You put the grilled meat in the lettuce with some fermented soybean paste, garlic cloves, sliced hot peppers to make a wrap.

Served with most Korean meals are little dishes called banchan. These come with the meal and the selection depends on what the restaurant (or home cook) made that day. Each trip to the same restaurant may yield a different selection. These are eaten with the rest of the meal and you can always ask for more. This is what Lisa refers to ask Korean tapas. It's a close analogy.

Actually, the place I took everyone also serves a lot of non-BBQ items. Lisa's table mostly went with non-BBQ items where our whole table went BBQ.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Actually, the place I took everyone also serves a lot of non-BBQ items. Lisa's table mostly went with non-BBQ items where our whole table went BBQ.

Did they have tofu stew in the hot stone bowls? That could *almost* have justified my going out there, cold & all... because you know, tofu stew is a cold cure, & if there just happened to be a pen show nearby, well then... :rolleyes:

Edited by indigirl

Did they have tofu stew in the hot stone bowls? That could *almost* have justified my going out there, cold & all... because you know, tofu stew is a cold cure, & if there just happened to be a pen show nearby, well then... :rolleyes:

This place only had a limited selection of tofu stew. For that we would have gone to the Korean tofu place two blocks away.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Actually, Ricky's raid on the ban chan at our table looked a lot like the locust Moses sent to Egypt..

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Am I the only one to have brought home the traditional Pen Show souvenir?...

a nasty head cold. Ugh, I thought I was washing my hands often enough, I guess not.

BUT it is worth it to have been to a Northern California Pen Show!!!

AND, I got to work with the enchanting Miss Stephanie and the lovely Lady Estela again.

I wish I had pictures of Kernan and Lisa in the kilt, "who wore it better?"

Thank you all for supporting the Monster

www.RefillMonster.com

Hi all,

This is Michael@MikeItWork. Thank you all for coming to the San Francisco Pen Show. I had a pleasure meeting many of you who visited my table at the show. I am making post here to see if I can find a owner of a beautiful vintage pen that was left on my table. Because the pen was sitting in front of my grinder behind the blind spot from me, I did not realize that it was there until later in the day that I had a chance to stand up and walked around my table. When I asked around that time, no one could tell who left the pen on my table. It must be someone who stopped at my table, possibly sat down and had be work on a pen or two.

If someone who visited the San Francisco Pen Show last weekend misplaced a vintage black color pen, please PM me with the following information. (Your name, the date you visited my table, the brand of the pen, the state of the pen when it was misplaced, type of nib on the pen,type of tip on the nib, filling system of the pen) My email is mikeitwork(at)gmail(dot)com and I will keep the pen in a good condition in safe place until I hear from the owner of the pen.

Please do not post your question to this thread as I rarely log-in here. (I suspect that many of my customers wish me to keep working on pens rather than spending time on FPN to keep my backlogs as short as possible :)

Thank you.

Michael

This place only had a limited selection of tofu stew. For that we would have gone to the Korean tofu place two blocks away.

Oh, I don't require more than a limited selection anyway... thanks to this thread pushing already-existing craving over the top, last night I went out & got some mushroom tofu stew at my friendly neighborhood tofu house. Today I feel almost well! :thumbup:

Am I the only one to have brought home the traditional Pen Show souvenir?...

a nasty head cold. Ugh, I thought I was washing my hands often enough, I guess not.

...& that goes to show, it was a good thing I stayed home after all, sigh! Sorry to hear you got sick. Steam with eucalyptus & thyme oils! Drink hot garlic ginger lemon honey water!

New hard rubber lever filler (this one is really nice with a retro feel)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6054/6252221383_7c7155858c_z.jpg

Ricky, do you think if I wrote M. Burke I could get information on this pen? I spent last night looking around at various Conway Stewart info, and couldn't find it anywhere. It has *really* piqued my curiosity! Any other info or sources I should look to?

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin