Any Love For Rotring?

Xaltotun

I must use my Rotring this week... :P

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoniguana

• Phormula

• Xaltotun

• attika89

I have a Rotring FP, fine nib. Dropped it on the floor years ago, where it stuck nib-first. Been trying to repair it since then (about once a year taking it out and fiddling with it). Have now ruined that nib (or maybe finished ruining what was begun all those years ago), and would love to find another to resurrect the pen. I had it just to a point where it was writing smoothly, but could be difficult to start, and was trying to widen the gap a bit when half the ball popped off... *sigh* So, back in the drawer it goes, until I can find a replacement nib...

Be forewarned... I will eye-bang the bejeezus out of your pens...
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...

I have a Rotring FP, fine nib. Dropped it on the floor years ago, where it stuck nib-first. Been trying to repair it since then (about once a year taking it out and fiddling with it). Have now ruined that nib (or maybe finished ruining what was begun all those years ago), and would love to find another to resurrect the pen. I had it just to a point where it was writing smoothly, but could be difficult to start, and was trying to widen the gap a bit when half the ball popped off... *sigh* So, back in the drawer it goes, until I can find a replacement nib...

Check out Hans store on German eBay http://stores.ebay.com/hansels-schreiber-scheune?_rdc=1

He usually has NOS Rotring nibs quite reasonably, and he's great to deal with, excellent English and reasonable shipping to US.

Cheers, Ted

Check out Hans store on German eBay http://stores.ebay.com/hansels-schreiber-scheune?_rdc=1

He usually has NOS Rotring nibs quite reasonably, and he's great to deal with, excellent English and reasonable shipping to US.

Cheers, Ted

Vielen Dank! I'll check it out!

Since I got my first one, I am getting Rotring-addicted. Seems that I have found my ideal FSs in the Newton and the Initial. Too bad they discontinued all design pens in 2009, I was able to find some NOS and spare parts, at least I can continue using them.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

Since I got my first one, I am getting Rotring-addicted. Seems that I have found my ideal FSs in the Newton and the Initial. Too bad they discontinued all design pens in 2009, I was able to find some NOS and spare parts, at least I can continue using them.

I was all kinds of upset when I dropped mine way back in the used-to-was. Mostly because I had just dropped a pen that, as a rather broke grad student, I had paid about $80 for and didn't have any money to pay for repairs! I had also recently gotten a Lamy Safari, and was enjoying writing with it, so, I set the Rotring aside (compared to the Lamy, it burned through a lot of ink and I had not yet begun to appreciate the variations in ink on wetter-flowing nibs). I had enjoyed what little writing I had done with it, but had other concerns by then.

I'm looking forward to resurrecting it and writing with it again!

I bought a black 600 sometime before 1990 and hated it so much that I stopped trying to use it after the first filling. It was dry and difficult to write with. Then I joined FPN and a kind member told me how to adjust the nib and use it for other purposes too. Now this machine bolt looking object is a sweet and lovely writer that doubles as a survival tool and weapon. If my car slides into a lake, I can use it to break the windshield. If I am attacked by a wolf, I can be sure to wedge its jaws open with it. I am confident that I could puncture an assailant with it. It could probably be used as an emergency replacement part for some machine failures. Rotring are to be congratulated on making the most versatile tool imaginable.

I had few Safaris before during my school days, but the black 600 was my first serious fountain pen! ;)

Edited by Edgar Allan Bo

I had few Safaris before during my school days, but the black 600 was my first serious fountain pen! ;)

Mine too, which, of course, made it all the more special...

Of course, I started with the ubiquitous Sheaffer student model, when it was still sold in office supply stores. Then the Lamy's, a Waterman knock-off, the Rotring...

My current is one my dad gave me from xfountainpens.com (the x450 Kurve, in claret red), which writes pretty well, once it has been tuned a little bit. Now, I am very much looking forward to the arrival of the Ahab from Noodler's as my first foray into "the Joy of Flex."

I remember using Rotring pens and mechanical pencils at the university (I studied Industrial Design).

Anyone here loves them? I am dying to find a fountain pen, but they get sold on eBay for what I consider to be inflated prices.

I love the Rotring ArtPens. I bought the calligraphy set in the '90's and a few others in the 1.1 mm size. This month I finally bought the EF. Dick Blick sells them cheaper than anywhere else I've been able to find, as well as the converter. These are fine pens. I mainly use mine for acrylic inks.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Good luck :thumbup:

This is the reason I've put together some NOS Rotrings and spare parts, to be able to use one some years from now.

If they were still in production, I'd not worry, but I experienced the loss of my trusty Paper Mate Chrome Executive back in the late '90s and when I tried to get one, I found nothing. Now I'm prepared, and (according to Murphy law) it will mean that my current "in use" Rotring will never need replacement or spare parts, because I have them. Usually the only pen you loose or falls apart, is the one that you can not find a replacement or a spare :roflmho:

Good luck :thumbup:

This is the reason I've put together some NOS Rotrings and spare parts, to be able to use one some years from now.

If they were still in production, I'd not worry, but I experienced the loss of my trusty Paper Mate Chrome Executive back in the late '90s and when I tried to get one, I found nothing. Now I'm prepared, and (according to Murphy law) it will mean that my current "in use" Rotring will never need replacement or spare parts, because I have them. Usually the only pen you loose or falls apart, is the one that you can not find a replacement or a spare :roflmho:

Yes indeed... I use that same argument with many things... If I'm ready for it,it won't happen...

I have an Initial, which is a great pen to have around in case you ever need to drive a fountain pen through a 2x4 without damaging it. :)

The 2X4 or the pen? :roflmho:

It is one spike of a pen, that is for sure....

Woohoo! Just won one on eBay, though I am not sure of the model. I'll see if the nib is interchangeable with my old pen; if not, I have a new (to me) Rotring to play with, and a lead on a replacement nib for my old Rotring. I might even end up with 2 in my collection... :-)

This one has a nib that looks similar to the 600, with a rounded body like an Esprit, the old red ring on the clip... Not sure what that model is!

Congratulations! If you post pictures,maybe we can help. :)

My latest addition to the collection is a black Rotring 700, which I understood is deriving from a former Mont Blanc design (the tooling was sold to Rotring by Mont Blanc). I found it NOS in a pen store here in Milan, it had been sitting there for more than 10 years, the price tag was still in Italian Lira (replaced by the Euro 10 years ago). And the owner gave even me a discount on the label price...

Congratulations! If you post pictures,maybe we can help. :)

My latest addition to the collection is a black Rotring 700, which I understood is deriving from a former Mont Blanc design (the tooling was sold to Rotring by Mont Blanc). I found it NOS in a pen store here in Milan, it had been sitting there for more than 10 years, the price tag was still in Italian Lira (replaced by the Euro 10 years ago). And the owner gave even me a discount on the label price...

Thanks! Here's hoping!

eBay listing, till I can upload pics of my own

Interesting :) I have never seen a pen like that, must be really vintage.

I am sure that experts will tell you the model name.

Maybe you should add a picture of your current one. Spare parts are still available through e-bay, even if with some difficulty, once you know which model is yours, you can keep eyes open on e-bay for the replacement part and grab it if it comes.

Interesting :) I have never seen a pen like that, must be really vintage.

I am sure that experts will tell you the model name.

Maybe you should add a picture of your current one. Spare parts are still available through e-bay, even if with some difficulty, once you know which model is yours, you can keep eyes open on e-bay for the replacement part and grab it if it comes.

Here's a shot of the Lamy and my old Rotring. Hopefully, it will soon be a shoot of the old Rotring with a new nib and/or the new Rotring...

I'm just watching the film Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes. In it Wesley Snipes who plays a master criminal uses a Rotring 900 fountain pen to impale the eyeball of the still living prison warden to use in the prisons iris recognition security system to unlock the doors and escape.

i bet that's a use for a Rotring fountain pen that you never thought of!!!