If You're Nuts About Wahl-Eversharp ...

Arkanabar

The second thing I did here, after finding somebody to restore a PFM-II I was given by my brother-in-law (a gesture of remarkable insight and respect on his part) was get the vintage pen collecting bug. As a result, I either posted or inspired posts asking people "What pens do you love, and why? And which would you recommend to me?" I asked this question in the Waterman forum, the Esterbrook Forum, the Writing Instruments Forum, and the Sheaffer forum, the Conway Stewart, Parker, Pelikan, and Cross forums. I just posted it to the Mont Blanc forum. And now I'm asking it here. I had really hoped that Syd would post to the first of these, in Writing Instruments, but I'm just as happy to have his commentary (and that of all the people here) now. You are not too late, by the way; I have yet to make my first vintage fountain pen purchase.

What I'd like to know first is, which vintage pens -- particularly Wahl-Eversharp, since this is the forum for them -- set you on fire, and why? Or is there something you hate? If so, what and why? I figure knowing what it is about any particular pen that grabs a person's attention will tell me whether it has the attributes that are most important to me. (That includes both the positive and negative attributes.)

When suggesting pens to me, you should know what I like: Light weight, large girth (like the PFM that I was given, but may well have to go with "not slim," like my Pelikan M200 and M400), low price (I'm desperately poor), durability (able to handle a lot of knocking around and being clipped to a buttonhole in a polo shirt or jeans pocket), balance, smooth, and fine. Things to avoid would be cartridge, c/c, capillary, and eyedropper pens, leaky pens, and other annoyances. If it annoys you, tell me about it. It may be some thing I'd never encountered but would find terribly aggravating as soon as I consider it. I'm also interested in trying a springy nib. I never have, and I don't know if it would be the thing for me. I write with a very light hand, too light for some ballpoints, and the line variation may wind up being too subtle to matter to me.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• david i

• Wahlnut

Top Posters In This Topic

No fire. Favorite no doubt to some. Not to others. Liked by many.

What goes into it? Same as for many pens...

High Quality

Line Diversity

Model Diversity within lines

Some well characterized models and some poorly characterized models- opportunity for research

Nice Writers

Generally not to hard to restore

Long Production run

Available ephemera and company literature

Oh yeah--- they can be pretty too

Mid-Late 1930's, poorly characterized Sub-Doric. Pretty

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlwhat50per.jpg

Pens not in "any known" catalog, variations on a theme, i s'pose

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlweirdequipoises.jpg

Solid Gold 1920's set mix of Engine Turned and Hand Engraved- MINE MINE MINE

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlsolidgoldset.jpg

Tulip and Military Clip 1920's Celluloid. A niche subset.

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahltulipclipspread.jpg

Funky. 1940's Skyline early Ballpoint

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlskylineballpen50per.jpg

Attention to details. Pattern on tiny 1930's Equi-Poised Purse Pen Lever

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlpursepenlever.jpg

Gorgeous look and decent quality in "low line" pen. My Pacemaker

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlpacemakerblue50per.jpg

Flamin' Mottled HR

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlmottle.jpg

Gorgeous Jade celluloid

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlmintgreenset.jpg

Green/Bronze found in different series.

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlgreenbronzespread.jpg

Elegant Metal 1920's Desk Pen- Grecian border pattern. MINE!

http://removed.xyz/penteech/wahlmetaldeskpen50.jpg

Need i go on? :-)

regards

david

http://www.removed.xyz

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i'm not trying to get in anyone's head.

just showing eye candy. Figure each can decide if size shape and color appeals or not to him. How would i know? All of these come with a variety of interesting writing points available.

d

When suggesting pens to me, you should know what I like: Light weight, large girth (like the PFM that I was given, but may well have to go with "not slim," like my Pelikan M200 and M400), low price (I'm desperately poor), durability (able to handle a lot of knocking around and being clipped to a buttonhole in a polo shirt or jeans pocket), balance, smooth, and fine. Things to avoid would be cartridge, c/c, capillary, and eyedropper pens, leaky pens, and other annoyances. If it annoys you, tell me about it. It may be some thing I'd never encountered but would find terribly aggravating as soon as I consider it. I'm also interested in trying a springy nib. I never have, and I don't know if it would be the thing for me. I write with a very light hand, too light for some ballpoints, and the line variation may wind up being too subtle to matter to me.

you see, getting into my head isn't so tricky -- I've presented the relevant bits. I have no size reference for the grip sections, and must trust users to describe them in comparison to others. That would mean you, Syd, or anyone else who wants to chime in.

I see I am being paged.

The question seems to boil down to: "Please help me to learn more about vintage pens so I can prioritize my interests and pen acquisitions." Youo will use the pros and cons about Wahl Eversharp pens to compare and contrast with all the pros and cons of the other pen brands represented in the answers to the same question posted to other fora on FPN.

I recognize that the question did include some caveats that seem to control the broadness of the answers somewhat. The pens mentioned need to be inexpensive (relative term), large diameter, light weight, durable, and somewhat leak-proof during physical activity. Nevertheless, the question is so open ended as to leave one wondering where to begin, so permit me to break out some decision making factors.

If we take the requirements in the order listed to also represent the priorities ranking, it is difficult to talk about one element without thinking about another. For example light weight and large size must be taken into consideration together. So here is the short list of matching pens:

Large size Light Weight.

The largest early vintage Wahl pens are the #6 size. They were made in Tempoint, All-Metal, Wahl, Wahl Pen, "Signature", Gold Seal. The largest pens after that were the Oversized Equi-poised and Oversized Doric pens, the Oxfords and the Skylines (I am leaving out a few short-lived models here). There were sub-lines that Wahl made in #6 or oversized sizes (the Paramount, The Monitor, etc) All of these pens measure over 6 1/2 inches posted (but who posts a cap on a vintage pen nowadays ? I hope no-one). Each of these came in at least 5 colors (except the Tempoints,) and the All-Metal pens came in as many as 9 patterns. So that "only" gives you about 85 pens to chosse from. Wahl Eversharp pens in any given size range are relatively light in weight and the varation between one pen and another my be no more than 1/4 ounce. So weight is smoewhat moot.

Low Price

That is a tough one but narrows down the "search" to the extreme. All #6 and oversized pens are among the most prized and therefore the most pricey pens in the line-up. We are talking about $300 and up for ones in excellent condition today. Ones with significant flaws and discoloration may be had for less, but still no less than half the price ofn excellent one. (a day or so ago an oversized Doric pen offered as a parts donor pen went for over $125!) So if you want a bargain, you better learn how to restore these pens and bring tham back to life yourself.

The only large pens in the list so far that are relatively low cost are the Tempoint , Wahl Black Hard Rubber pens and the Oxfords and Skyline pens. These pens are very different from one another. The Tempoint HR, Wahl HR pens as well as the skylines came in lever fill, with standard presser bar, and rubber sac. The OS Oxford was a twist fill with a complicated internal structure that is amongst the hardest to restore.

Durability.

Very few vintage fountain pens are what I would call durable. They can of course absorb a certain amount of abuse and keep on going. The All Metal pens are the most durable. The Hard rubber pens (Tempoint, Wahl and Wahl Pen are not. The plastics (Signature, Gold Seal, Equipoised and Dorics are somewhere in the middle, I guess.

Knock about no leaking

few if any fountain pens can remain continent under rapid changes in g-force. Physical activity more vigorous tha walking briskly can cause some pens to lose some ink. I can not say which models were more or less prone to leaking. They all can hold their bladder to sme degree, but will fail the NASA centrifuge test. here were some Doric models that in their day hyped an ink shut-off system when capped. These pens did work intheur day, but relied on a perishable o-ring thhingy that when a little older and if the owner did not fulsh the pen every month or so wold fail. And now these Dorics because they are funky demand higher prices.

Major Gripes or Joys.

Not many gripes. These pens are great. There was a reason that after being in the fountain pen business for less than two years, the Wahl Eversharp Pens rose to be in the top 4 pen brands in the USA. As for Joys, well what are we all doing herre if not to explore the joys of this brand...they are many. The first would be the fabtastic gold nibs. They are about the most expressive in the industry. The second is the overall ease of maintenance, and the thrid is their style.

You did not mention aesthetics, but David i's answer to your query should demonstrate what is available. Unfortunately almost none of what he showed would meet your overall requirements.

Bottom line...look at the Skylines and the Oxfords, cause while the other elements you are looking for are available in many Wahl Evershap pens, the low cost factor rules out many. Get a decent book on these vintage pens and other brands. These books have a lot of minor mis-information about pen details, but you can see the designs readily and get a handle on their historical significance.. Also go to David Nishimura's vintagepens.com website and check out his Pen Profiles area.

OK, I am tired now and it is breakfast time. Hope this helps.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Thank you, Syd, because you've nailed what I wanted (almost) exactly.

The missing qualifier: light weight.

And I buy pens for use far more than aesthetics. Having every color or variant of something is not of any interest to me. That, and my curiousity about flex nibs, makes me suspect that I'd be most likely to get myself some sort of skyline frankenpen.