Left Handed Lamy Safari

medicevans

I'm left handed and will be writing quite a lot for my job. I think I'm gong to go ahead and tale the plunge and buy a Lamy Safari with Z24 converter. They are about $25-30 on eBay. Do I absolutely need a left handed nib or can I ge by just fine with an EF nib? I read a couple of reviews that said they were hard to hold left handed, anyone care to comment on that?

Edited to add: Snce it has a converter with it, can someone recommend a nice dark blue, almost black, quick drying ink to go with it? I'll search through the ink section too, just would like to keep all the suggestions in one place.

Thanks!!

Edited by medicevans

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• medicevans

• JimB

• luketoms

• GeekyGirl

I'm left-handed, and I haven't had a problem with using a fine nib on my Al Star. I don't find it hard to hold, but because of the triangular section, I can see how it would be uncomfortable for certain grips, regardless of handedness. For inks, I only have experience with Noodler's bulletproof black (so far), and it's great :)

and btw, :W2FPN:

Edited by randomguy0187

I have tried a lefthanded nib on my Lamy Nexx but it didn't work out. The regular nibs are more than fine. Use a quick drying ink and take your time and everything will be allright.If you really want one I can send it to you by mail.

I don't know that I do want one after reading what you guys had to say, hharry. I couldn't figure out what the point was, and just thought I was missing something.

I'm left handed, too. I have the Safari and the AL Star, both with the (ordinary) 1.1 nib. Highest recommendations from me! :thumbup:

You don't need a left handed pen any more than you need a left handed hammer.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Hahaha. But wouldn't a left handed hammer work better Jm? I already write with left handed pencils and cut with left handed knives.........

:D

I'm also a lefty and have the different safari nibs: EF, LH, OM, OB, 1.5.

I cant see or feel any difference on the EF and LH model in my writing. you'll have issues with the specialty nibs (OB, Ital) depending on your hand position

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Hahaha. But wouldn't a left handed hammer work better Jm? I already write with left handed pencils and cut with left handed knives.........

:D

Luckily there are no "Left-Handed-Only" stores nearby. So I've always managed to get by with the generic hammer or knife. However -- I believe Obama has some left handed basketballs, though! :rolleyes:

(No, not really.)

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

We've got experience with lots of left handed customers,and I can say with absolute certainty that it may, or may not, make a difference. For some, using a left handed nib is a revelation. For others, it makes no difference at all. The test is usually done "blind" - customers don't know if the nib they are trying is left of right nanded.

Edited by John Hall

John Hall

Write Here Ltd

Stockists of Fine Pens

Repairs undertaken

www.writeherekitenow.co.uk

I have tried a lefthanded nib on my Lamy Nexx but it didn't work out. The regular nibs are more than fine. Use a quick drying ink and take your time and everything will be allright.If you really want one I can send it to you by mail.

We've got experience with lots of left handed customers,and I can say with absolute certainty that it may, or may not, make a difference. For some, using a left handed nib is a revelation. For others, it makes no difference at all. The test is usually done "blind" - customers don't know if the nib they are trying is left of right nanded.

What is a left handed nib? There should be no such thing, its just a Lamy marketing strategy. Some right handed people can actually write better with the LH nib than regular nibs while some left handers are not. All nibs can be used by both left or right handed people, it all comes down to how you hold the pen and its relation to the paper. :thumbup:

Edited by andybiotic
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

• 1 year later...

Whether to buy a LH nib seems to depend on whether, as a left-hander, you write with your hand under the writing line (as a right-hander) or above the writing line (sometimes called a hook). If you write under the line, then a normal nib should be just fine as, like a right-hander, you mainly 'pull' the pen while writing. If you write above the line, usually a LH nib is better because you mainly 'push' the pen while writing.

I am an under the line lefty and I have no problems with the Lamy M nibs.

• 11 months later...

I'm left handed, too. I have the Safari and the AL Star, both with the (ordinary) 1.1 nib. Highest recommendations from me! :thumbup:

You don't need a left handed pen any more than you need a left handed hammer.

I know this is a very old thread but your left handed hammer comment made this lefty crack up–excellent point!

–I also like my 1.1 mm italic nib. I put mine in the new bluegreen Al-Star and inked with PR Blue Suede. The nib really makes that ink come alive.

Go to Goulet or ISellPens and get samples of

• Diamine Midnight (my personal choice)
  • Diamine Majestic Blue
  • Diamine Blue-Black
  • Diamine Denim
  • Diamine Twilight

There are probably other inks, but I narrowed my own choice down to the Diamine inks.

Then check them to see if you like the color from YOUR pen and on YOUR paper.

I say this because the pen and paper can make a BIG difference in how the ink looks.

Example, I use Cross/Pelikan blue and the ink line can range from a medium-light blue all the way to a dark/navy blue, depending on the pen I use it in.

This is where I started my ink search for a dark blue or blue/black ink.

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/inksofnote/blue-black.html

You will notice that some of the blue-black is not particularly dark.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My first fountain pen was a Lamy Safari and I had all of the same hesitations that you had. I ended up getting a regular Fine nib instead of the left handed one and never had any complaints. It was my favorite writer until I managed to lose it about a month ago. I can't bring myself to replace it though, it just wouldn't be the same...

And while the OP has probably moved on, the information is still relevant to anyone else with a similar enquiry...

• 5 years later...