Parker Penman Sapphire Ink...

Limenweim

Ok, I am not sure whether they are authentic Parker Penman ink. It isn't even mentioned in the description, but if my guess is correct, it seems to be the long discontinued Sapphire ink.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15pcs-PARKER-ink-cartridges-Gold-lable-BLUE-/360367865469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e7993e7d

I posted a question in the Parker forums regarding this, but from my past experience with this seller, he/she is quite reliable.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• Limenweim

• PJohnP

• OcalaFlGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I am not sure whether they are authentic Parker Penman ink. It isn't even mentioned in the description, but if my guess is correct, it seems to be the long discontinued Sapphire ink.

http://www.ebay.com....=item53e7993e7d

I posted a question in the Parker forums regarding this, but from my past experience with this seller, he/she is quite reliable.

Yeah they are Penman Sapphire. Several of us have ordered. If you look at the enlarged image, you can see the typical gold lettering and "Sapphire" on them. He apparently has a boatload of them, so everyone who wants this ink should grab it. Just remove with a syringe and transfer to a bottle.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Taking Sam's advice.....I grabbed some!

Got the 100 cartridge pack....should be ok for a while now!

For those of you who have gotten some of this...

Is this somewhat dehydrated like the stuff from Greece or is it "good to go"?

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

From what I heard they seem to be at least 2/3 full, but if it bothers us, we can simply add water to bring it to the proper concentration (and then use it, or transfer to a bottle afterwards).

Taking Sam's advice.....I grabbed some!

Got the 100 cartridge pack....should be ok for a while now!

For those of you who have gotten some of this...

Is this somewhat dehydrated like the stuff from Greece or is it "good to go"?

The ones I got from Greece were almost 40% dehydrated. These ones from Hong Kong are about 25% to 30% dehydrated. He has multiple auctions for different quantities, I think he raised the price a little when more people started buying suddenly.

The Penman cartridges do fit Lamy Safari, AL-Star and Nexx pens, so they probably also fit other Lamys. So I just install the cartridge on the pen to open it, remove the cartridge, fill it up with distilled water and reinstall in the pen. You can experiment with the amount of water added to get slightly different staturation levels depending on your taste. For me, it's fine with water added all the way to the top.

I like using my Lamys enough that I don't bother decanting the ink to a bottle.

Interesting. I didn't know that Parker cartridges fit Lamy. Now I am tempted to get myself a Lamy pen...

I had a package from "pokydady" come today from an order on 29 September ! That's essentially one week door-to-door, in today's world of oddball international post, almost lightning speed.

Everything was packaged beautifully, with ten cartridges in a small cellophane envelope, then fifty cartridges in groups of five wrapped together in a single bubble envelope, then a group of bubble envelopes enclosed in a manilla envelope, all sent registered to my office. It did, BTW, come with some lovely stamps on the envelope as a little lagniappe for the transaction.

The cartridges are indeed labelled Parker Sapphire, matching other Penman carts that I acquired last year from Greece. These cartridges appear somewhat "newer" in that the gold print on the carts is crisper and brighter, as well as showing less evaporation from the cartridge. I haven't had the opportunity this afternoon to test the ink - that's my fun when I'm done with work for the day ! - but all looks extremely good with this shipment.

Fast shipping, a not unattainable price, and extraordinarily well packed for international post - unless I find something dire with the cartridges this evening, I'd venture to say that this is an exceptional opportunity for FPN members to experience Parker Penman Sapphire ink !

John P.

Quick note after my earlier post - the cartridges would indeed seem to be the incredible and delightful Parker Penman Sapphire ink !

What a treat !!!

John P.

Even though I am well stocked on PPS, I grabbed a quantity of these, and have done writing samples side by side with known PPS, and these appear identical in appearance to bottled and the Greece sourced cartridges we got earlier. I was concerned because the bottom end of these have a "cross" formation of the plastic vs. the cone of those from Greece. Given less evaporation of this latest offering, I'm guessing (but not sure) that Parker changed the bottom of the cartridge. These even have that slight powdery coating outside of the cartridges.

The three things that make me nervous is first and foremost, these are coming from Hong Kong--the outlet of Chinese counterfeiting. Second, unlike the Greece supply arriving in boxes, these have no packaging. Third, asking the EBay seller how many he has available, he will not give an answer even as a rough estimate. It is strange to see so much PPS show up after all this time, in an apparent unlimited quantity.

Edit: I feel a bit better seeing the blocks of 100, he only has 10 left, but has sold 37.....so he must have had a quantity of like 5,000 of them. I compared some writing I just did tonight with one of these cartridges with older PPS writing, and the color is a match....so for the price, I would say get them while they are still available.

Edited by SamCapote

Edit: I feel a bit better seeing the blocks of 100, he only has 10 left, but has sold 37.....so he must have had a quantity of like 5,000 of them. I compared some writing I just did tonight with one of these cartridges with older PPS writing, and the color is a match....so for the price, I would say get them while they are still available.

Sam :

I had similar concerns, but there are two thoughts in my mind on these.

First, if they were coming up with a counterfeit of PPS, they could make even more money selling it as the "New PPS" or somesuch given how PPS is so well liked... :roflmho:

More to the point, this is not so large a supply as it seems, really only a case or three of cartridges, so (sadly), it's likely just another gasp of the market before PPS truly disappears for good.

John P.

picked up 100 myself.

Sam, how much ink is in 100 of these cartridges anyhow? I think I remember you did some calculations or tests in another thread?

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Thanks for this post, I've always wanted to try this ink and just got myself 15 cartridges. :thumbup:

Just wondering how to use the ink- can I add water directly to the cartridge and insert it into a pen, or do I have to do the mixing in another jar?

picked up 100 myself.

Sam, how much ink is in 100 of these cartridges anyhow? I think I remember you did some calculations or tests in another thread?

Ideally when full they hold 1.18ml each. I'm getting 0.78 to 0.80 ml out of these Hong Kong cartridges, and 0.65ml from the earlier Greek seller. Just to settle it in my own mind, I did paper chromatography of both. I let the water go up a bit far on the Greek one, but suffice it to say they are identical.

Buy with confidence now.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/PPS9.jpg

Thanks for the verification, Sam! I believe that plain water should suffice for dilution if you intend to use it straight from the cartridge, but distilled water might be better if you intend to transfer into an ink bottle for later use.

Thanks for the verification, Sam! I believe that plain water should suffice for dilution if you intend to use it straight from the cartridge, but distilled water might be better if you intend to transfer into an ink bottle for later use.

Normally, I would have used distilled water (a jug from the grocery), but I have a reverse osmosis system I installed below the kitchen sink with 5 filter cartridges, and that has been working well. I do think distilled water is the ideal choice. The easiest way to deal with these if you can get syringes is to pierce with the needle and suck out the ink and transfer to either a glass jar with good seal, or get some of the Goulet Pens 7ml vials. These HK cartridges have lost 1/3 of their water (1.12ml / 0.8ml = .67 or 67% of original volume). The previous Greek seller ones were about 58% of original volume.

So if you add extracted PPS from HK seller up to about 5ml in Goulet vials, and add water up close to the top you are going to get it back to it's original color. If you have an insulin syringe with more precise markings, you could add 0.4 ml to the cartridge itself before inserting into pen.

On a price per ml, these EBay sales are great deals. For $28 delivered you are getting 110 ml of ink which is more than two of the original 50 ml bottles. It takes time to suck out the ink, but this has the other intangible that this ink is for all practical purposes not available, and one of the most highly sought after colors and brands in the world. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual bottle of it coming up for sale....maybe 1-2 times per year.

My package of 100 cartridges arrived today 1 week after I ordered them. They are all about two thirds full. I have tried one. The colour looks authentic. The ink writes well in a stock standard 45 with a medium nib on very average paper. I am happy.

my order arrived and loaded it on Lamy, have to confirm that it is 2/3 ink per cart so i diluted with some tap water. color still looks good compared to the scans.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing