Finally Solving The Vp Stealth Durability Issue

Well folks, it's about time someone contacted pilot about the durability of the new black matte VP. Being an owner of this pen myself, I decided that I might as well do it.

So here's how this thread will work - as I continue to get emails from pilot, I'm going to post them here, as updates. We'll see what kind of resolution we can get!

Let's start with what we know so far about the finish:

Member yachtsilverswan kindly posted here, showing us how his finish has fared. This thread also provides very insightful discussion of the finish.

We have this thread with a review, and much discussion in the comment area about the pens durability.

Another thread here were the durability is discussed.

Now, here's what pilot told me after an email I sent them:

Regarding the Matte

Black VP, we are concerned to hear of your experience with the finish. We would

appreciate it if you would send your pen in to us for evaluation and

repair/replacement. Please send it to my attention at the address

below.

We appreciate your

bringing this to our attention Pilot and I look forward to resolving the

problem. Please feel free to contact me if you need any additional

information.

Regards,

Marina Heil

So there you go - I am happy to report that pilot seems very interested in fixing this issue.

I am still undecided if I should send my pen in, since mine exhibits such light wear. The only damage mine has so far is wear to the click button.

So, if anyone's got a super-beat up matte-black VP they'd like to send to pilot, now's the time to do so! I willl hook you up with the pilot rep. if you like.

I hope this topic will be helpful for all of you, and I hope we can reach a resolution with pilot! We all love the VP, and we want this pen to be sturdy!

Until the next update comes,

Regards,

Tyler Dahl

Edited by 777

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• Koyote

• ninad

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another email from the lady - after I told her I wasn't sure I wanted to send my pen in, since I enjoy using it.

Regarding the Matte Black VP, we would really appreciate it if you sent it in. Our Quality Control Dept is concerned and would like to take a look at the pen. We will replace your pen right away once it is received.

So guys, it sounds like if you send in your VP, and it's finished is damaged, you'll get a free new body!

I think Pilot is doing a pretty good job here, at least what they're saying. I'll see for sure if/when I actually send my pen in.

Anyone else want to send theirs in? I'll give you this ladies info if you need it.

Regards,

Tyler Dahl

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

In my experience, Pilot is usually very good with repair (replacement) for their pens. I used to own a couple of Mandarin Yellow VPs which were actually "spare parts" pens which pilot had kept on hand for replacement should anyone request. After 6 or 7 years of the pen being offered for sale, they decided that they no longer needed to keep the spare parts and assembled them into complete pens for sale.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Oh my this is definitely my situation. A beat up Pilot Vanishing Point in matte black is my daily user. Does the pen still have to be in warranty? Though I must admit a part of me wants to keep the beat up look of my pen :embarrassed_smile:

12/04/2011

Sorry - I don't have your email address, but I have similar issues. I have a Matte Black stealth VP that I bought in July of this year. I was surprised to see substantial brass showing through. I do try to "baby" my fountain pens, I'll usually have it in a shirt pocket, in an empty jacket pocket, or in an empty pants pocket. My pen finish is coming off in scratches on the button which seems to be that the button is scratching against the pen as it clicked. I've had the pen less than 3 months and it is only one of about 20 "daily writers" that I cycle through so it's not like it's been subject to a lot of use/abuse.

Now I've taken to just leaving it in my display case and using it occasionally at my desk -- this isn't really how I intended to use it when I purchased it.

Let me know if you hear anything from Pilot or if I should follow up with them to help the cause.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

No updates yet! I am going to send my pen in for repair fairly soon (before December), and I will let you know when I do, what Pilot says/does, etc.

It'll be a bit slow but hey, that's how life is sometimes. :D

Please PM me if you want the contact info. I would be happy to share it!

FPN%252520banner.jpg

• 6 months later...

Any updates on the finish? I'm withholding a purchase of the matte black VP until this issue gets resolved!

I don't think the OP sent in his pen, based on a conversation I had with him elsewhere on this board. However, I did purchase this pen and have had it for about three weeks now. The EF nib is so good that this has replaced all other pens to be my daily carrier. I have not noticed any scratches anywhere on the pen, in spite of the fact that I must have "clicked" it open and close several hundred times now. This is a great pen and my first VP. If you haven't had one so far, I suggest you don't wait.

I do carry the pen very carefully in my GFeller case. I had to widen one of the pockets in the case for this pen, which I achieved using an inexpensive fat leadholder for a couple of weeks. But I also place it on my wooden desk and so forth, and the finish has held up perfectly.

The only precaution I took was to purchase this pen from a reputable vendor (there are plenty of those) so that any warranty claim will be honored by Pilot/Namiki. Another reason was that by purchasing from a popular vendor, it is more likely that I get a newer production model, which may have fewer problems. The last point is, of course, complete speculation on my part, but I can happily say that so far, I have had no reason to be unhappy with this pen.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting - no issues with my matte black VP, however instead of sending it in, I'll try matte black truck bed liner paint suitably thinned if I get to that point.

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

• 5 months later...

Just bumping an old thread to see if anyone has any progress with sending the pen back to Pilot (or their reseller) for replacement in this instance or if Pilot have improved their coating applicatoin since then. My VP is starting to wear and shows visible easily scratched mars as well as the odd 'chip' where the brass undercoat is showing.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

I've only had mine a short time, so I am interested as well.

But what I really wonder is how the matte finish compares to the normal, shiny finishes. Do the others really not scratch where the matte does? I find that difficult to believe.

What I suspect is that people expect the matte finish to be "tough" because it isn't shiny and precious-looking, and that they subject it to handling that they would never subject a shiny-finished pen to. I have black anodized aluminum flashlights, and even their coating will wear through if rubbed against a mere plastic G-2 pen enough.

What some people really want is a VP with Rhino truck bed liner sprayed on...

I wonder.

What is the common expectation for durability of this type of finish?

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I wonder.

I think the issue is that the matte black was wearing faster than the regular finishes.

If there ever was a fountain pen built for function, it is the VP. I would not be terribly concerned if mine looked a bit worn.

I wonder.

I think the issue is that the matte black was wearing faster than the regular finishes.

If there ever was a fountain pen built for function, it is the VP. I would not be terribly concerned if mine looked a bit worn.

The regular finishes are different - a lacquer of some sort.

That is like comparing apples to oranges.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

They are very different. The regular finish, chrome, is much more durable than the black paint on the stealth buttons. It is apples and oranges and part of the pen. Consider it a nice patina. :) It would be better if they made the whole button from a hardy matte black plastic though.

I wonder.

The regular finishes are different - a lacquer of some sort.

That is like comparing apples to oranges.

I agree. I was just responding to the question that was quoted.

• 1 year later...

sorry for the bump,
but I may purchase a matte black vp, but this durability issue is the only concern.

Has this been fixed by Pilot yet for new pens that are being retailed?

Kev

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have one in the mail and I would also be interested in the matter. Maybe someone with recent experience with the matte black VP can share some impressions.

Parker 51 Vacumatic 0.7 Masuyama stub; TWSBI 540 M; TWSBI 580 1.1; Mabie, Todd and Bard 3200 stub; Waterman 14 Eyedropper F; 2 x Hero 616; several flexible dip nibs

owned for a time: Parker 45 flighter Pendleton stub, Parker 51 aerometric F, Parker 51 Special 0.7 Binder stub, Sheaffer Valiant Snorkel M, Lamy Joy Calligraphy 1.5 mm, Pelikan M200 M, Parker Vacumatic US Azure Blue M, Parker Vacumatic Canada Burgundy F, Waterman 12 Eyedropper, Mabie Todd SF2 flexible F