The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dhaulagiri

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2011 - 17:40

As soon as I received my Nazca my first thought was I gotta have another one!

So here it is.

It's his center band Dhaulagiri. The name comes from a mountain range. All of his pens are named for mountains. Really cool.
Posted Image

Here's a nice shot of that fat center band. Very cool looking. He normally uses one color for the barrel, then picks one color from the barrel for the section and cap, and another for the band - I requested one color for the barrel and cap, and black for the band and section. I think it looks quite sharp.

Posted Image

My camera is totally on the fritz - so some of the shadows are darker than they appear in real life, but check out that gunmetal clip. Quite nice. Fits the pen perfectly. Also matches the hardware on the pencil I had made with the pen.

Posted Image

I saved a few bucks by having him send it without a nib since I had this fine laying around. It's a Jowo from Meisternibs - so it's dead on perfect. All of his pens use these nibs - in #5 or #6, depending on the size of the pen.

Posted Image

Love that Yellow Jacket acrylic. Dead sexy. Especially the bit at the butt end.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've used it at school quite a bit since receiving it and my kids LOVE it.

Posted Image

Is it big? Oh yeah. Something like 5 9/16 opened up. Doesn't post (which I don't do with most of my pens) so it's perfect. Quite a bit bigger than the Nazca, which you can see below.

Posted Image

Top to bottom:
Edison Herald Grande - Parker 51 - Twsbi
JEB Dhaulagiri - JEB Nazca - Deccan M1000
Bexley Corona - Bexley 10th Anniversary

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next to the big boys. Again - camera on the fritz. Bad photos.

Posted Image

Here's the beast of a pencil he made up for me. Put a center band on this one as well and DANG is it nice. Perfect for drawing and writing with. I thought it would be nice as a sort of finger grippy thing, but had no idea how comfortable it would be. It's hefty too. Best clutch/sketch pencil ever.

Posted Image

Big graphite stick. Should last about forever. :)

Posted Image

Gunmetal hardware - matches clip on pen.

Posted Image

And the cap button also has a pointer inside to sharpen the graphite stick. Great little pencil.

Posted Image

Thanks for looking!

November 25 - 2011

Okay, so a few weeks ago I emailed John about my pen. He said he was waiting for me to ask about this, and was quite relieved when I did because it had been bugging him this whole time! :roflmho:
So I mentioned that my pen was left a bit long - and how excited I was about that b/c it looks so cool and the little eyeball at the end just really screamed at me. LOVE it. But... and there's always a but...
It just plain wore me out. The extra bit of solid barrel at the end really threw the thing off balance and I asked him if he would mind cutting it down. I even asked if he could chop the threaded bit off and save the end - b/c of the little eyeball, but it turns out it was much easier for him to just chop off the end, but you know what, I'm glad that's the way we went because it's just gorgeous. And to TOP it all off...

Posted Image
001 by snennewton, on Flickr

So here's the pen. I forget exactly how much was cut off, but it's the same size as the Nazca, now.

Posted Image
040 by snennewton, on Flickr

Posted Image
041 by snennewton, on Flickr

Posted Image
042 by snennewton, on Flickr

Posted Image
dhaulagiri by snennewton, on Flickr

Posted Image
045 by snennewton, on Flickr

Posted Image
046 by snennewton, on Flickr

Posted Image
049 by snennewton, on Flickr

Posted Image
050 by snennewton, on Flickr

Edited by watch_art, 26 November 2011 - 01:00.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#2 jimhughes

jimhughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 18:08

Beautiful Set Shawn. That pen is HUGE. I didn't think you could go bigger than the Nazca, but I was wrong. Great work John. I'm loving my midgets, in comparison to Shawn's giants. The Lhoste still is clocking more hours that the Nazca Jr. I thought I'd never be a non Flat Top Guy. You've converted me. Enjoy the set, Jim

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2011 - 18:11

It is beautiful. Now I've found an ink that I enjoy seeing ooze out of the nib (black) I've been using it more and more. Going to be putting that Spearmint green/black mix back in the Nazca. It just doesn't feel right without it.

Can't wait to see a review of your pens! (hint hint)
;)

Cheers!

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2011 - 18:14

Love the acrylic and gunmetal. The pencil looks great, I'm not one for cigar shapes but that's a nice pen. It's big too. Don't you wish there was a Jowo #8 nib?

#5 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,012 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2011 - 18:22

Definitely One Eyed One Horned but it's not purple.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2011 - 18:33

a #8 nib would be amazing. Too bad those 40mm Indian steel nibs aren't easy to get ahold of... or are they? Any links?

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2011 - 19:07

a #8 nib would be amazing. Too bad those 40mm Indian steel nibs aren't easy to get ahold of... or are they? Any links?

I have the nibs-for sale, contact b/c if you are interested.

Edited by hari317, 02 October 2011 - 19:47.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#8 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:00

Added some shots to the original post...

Posted Image
050 by snennewton, on Flickr

#9 Preetham

Preetham

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 13:43

Thanks for the review. Vibrant pair.

Sponsored Content

|