Diamine Denim

Sandy1

Thank you for the review Sandy - wonderful as usual.

You mentioned dilution to open up the ink - could you not just use Diamine Prussian Blue to experience a lighter shade instead of diluted Denim?

I have Denim on the way to me early next week and will also review it once I have the Diamine GreenBlack out of my Onoto.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for mentioning the Prussian Blue, even though I was hoping to dodge that one!

Indeed, when swabs are the means of comparison, there is more than a passing similarity between the two inks. I believe the difference becomes [more] apparent when written samples are compared.

. . . so let's all get bottles/samples and see for ourselves. Whee!!

Bye,

S1

From the office of Little Ms Big-Mouth Smarty-Pants: a comparison of Diamine Denim, Indigo and Prussian Blue: LINK

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• lovemy51

• Hennypenny

• corniche

Thanks for the review Sandy, glad you are such a pro at this since it saved me from buying this ink. It reminds me too much of (shudder) ball point ink.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Thanks for the review Sandy, glad you are such a pro at this since it saved me from buying this ink. It reminds me too much of (shudder) ball point ink.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'd not thought of it as having such similarity to BP inks. (!)

I'm glad the Review allowed for cost avoidance, and prevented the ink from exile under the stairs, the Mixing Corral, or the Classifieds.

Perhaps I might include a Poll in the Review: 1) No thank-you. 2) Add to shopping list. 3) Have it, love it. 4) Have it, don't love it.

Bye,

S1

perfect color name for a change (umber, jade?????)

on my way to order it... thx, sandy. nice review -as always!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Yet another person thinks the name is OK . . .

Bye,

S1

well.... AFAIK see it on my screen!! B)

Reminiscent of a person who quietly tells a brief tasteful joke in a crowded elevator - causing some who overhears to ride beyond their intended floor.

I love this description!

Unfortunately, I've run into the more common scenario where someone rips an "SBD" and plays dumb, leading people to begin panic pressing buttons closest to the current floor to flee histrionically for fresh air. I forget to use the Bean-o

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I like to use the example of Diamine Twilight: I did not care for that offering, yet in his Review our dear Sean Colfer clearly depicted the same ink in the images, and noted much the same performance profile, then went on to adopted Twilight as his 'signature' ink. (!?!) A sizable difference of opinion about the same thing - which I like about FPN: many people = many ideas. :)

Hello Sandy, et al,

What... who... me??? :rolleyes:

That Diamine Twilight is a mind boggler, isn't it? :D

Thanks for your usual extra fine work; you put in a lot more effort than I am able and I thank you for that. :)

In regards to Diamine's Denim Blue; I have to say I kind of like it. However, I would refer to it more as Jordache Blue than a Levi or Wrangler Blue. ;)

How would you say it compares to that elusive Omas Blue, (I'm still looking for a deep, dark true blue- that isn't as dark as Diamine Midnight)?

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Sandy,

Love your reviews, but here's an odd question: Are those your REAL grocery shopping lists? I love reading them and imagining the meals you prepare!! They're the first part of your reviews that I turn to...

HP

Edited by Hennypenny

The sky IS falling. C. Little

I like to use the example of Diamine Twilight: I did not care for that offering, yet in his Review our dear Sean Colfer clearly depicted the same ink in the images, and noted much the same performance profile, then went on to adopted Twilight as his 'signature' ink. (!?!) A sizable difference of opinion about the same thing - which I like about FPN: many people = many ideas. :)

Hello Sandy, et al,

What... who... me??? :rolleyes:

That Diamine Twilight is a mind boggler, isn't it? :D

Thanks for your usual extra fine work; you put in a lot more effort than I am able and I thank you for that. :)

In regards to Diamine's Denim Blue; I have to say I kind of like it. However, I would refer to it more as Jordache Blue than a Levi or Wrangler Blue. ;)

How would you say it compares to that elusive Omas Blue, (I'm still looking for a deep, dark true blue- that isn't as dark as Diamine Midnight)?

All the best,

Hi Sean,

You're welcome!

Ah well, Twilight! It still sees the light of day in my pens, but as always, the 'crunch' will come as the bottle runs dry - will it be replaced?

I am not so well versed in the nuances of colour variation amongst blue jean labels, so I must demur comment on that.

I hope you are getting some joy on the hunt for the 'real' OMAS Blue!

OMAS Blue would be more up my alley for a deep dark Blue - less Red and Green [impurities] in the mix. A sample from my bottle of OMAS Blue is included in the swab comparison with three other Blue inks. (I am tempted to post a Comparison, but I'll wait to see OMAS Blue samples in a few months.)

Bye,

S1

Sandy,

Love your reviews, but here's an odd question: Are those your REAL grocery shopping lists? I love reading them and imagining the meals you prepare!! They're the first part of your reviews that I turn to...

HP

Hi HP,

Glad you love the review!

The sample grocery list is very close indeed to the actual. I too love imagining the meals that are intended to come from such ingredients, but reality sometimes falls short. (ooops)

Perhaps FPN Ink Reviewers could start using good recipes for their written samples :

TaDa! The FPN Cookbook - suitable for writing desks and kitchens world-round!

Likely to increase membership as the IR Forum becomes dual purpose.

(In addition to a Moderator, perhaps a nutritionist?) :blink:

Bye,

S1

Perhaps FPN Ink Reviewers could start using good recipes for their written samples :

[/font]

TaDa! The FPN Cookbook - suitable for writing desks and kitchens world-round!

Likely to increase membership as the IR Forum becomes dual purpose.

(In addition to a Moderator, perhaps a nutritionist?) :blink:

Bye,

S1

Then, perhaps, the FPN weight-loss plan!! HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

ok, if you have seen this in person, is it Indigo--that is, a blue close to violet--or is it a primary blue? Seems to be some disagreement.

ok, if you have seen this in person, is it Indigo--that is, a blue close to violet--or is it a primary blue? Seems to be some disagreement.

Hello Kronos77,

That always seems to be the case; I know if you look at the Denim sample Strang just put up in "Inky Thoughts," you wouldn't think it was the same ink that is depicted here. No matter how hard everyone tries, (and I know Sandy tries hard), to accomplish a perfect electronic facsimile- it always seems to fall short.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... thank goodness for sample vials and 30ml. bottles. :thumbup:

Here's Strang's Post

All the best,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hi,

For some clarity/reference, I have scanned a portion of a colour wheel :

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Denim/ad9207d3.jpg

I suggest that one would do well to read the wiki entry on 'Indigo', which shows various and numerous colours which may share that name - one of which is 'Denim'. LINK

I do not share your sense of 'disagreement'. I believe the replies are good-natured discussion and sharing of opinions & observations; perhaps instigated in part by my [loud & fussy] dissatisfaction about the name which Diamine has given to this ink.

As to the accuracy of the scans in this review:

The colour depicted in this Review has a high degree of fidelity to the only 'official' reference, which is seen on the Diamine site. The construct below gives the viewer some idea of that comparison. The Diamine site Denim sample is in the centre position, with a 3-pass swab above, a 2-pass swab below, and the Carene Swatach to the left and Right sides.

. . . . . . . http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Denim/08ea6d9d-1-1.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Denim/9f48c6e5.jpg

. . . . . . http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Denim/08ea6d9d-1-2.jpg

I certainly agree with Sean's observation in Post № 33 about facsimiles. Pixels on a monitor do not fully convey what started as ink-on-paper, many nuances are lost. But I believe we are doing a fair bit better than an observer in Plato's Cave. It is well known and clearly understood by many that if one wants to see the colour of an ink, then one must see that ink from their own pens, on their own paper and under whatever light sources are in use.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Thanks for the review! I've got a sample in my cart at Goulet now.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Let us know when the ink's on the paper from your pen!!

Bye,

S1

Wow. The review and the color. I'm not big on blue inks, but I like this one. :thumbup:

"We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?"

Thanks Sandy for the excellent and comprehensive review of this ink. I'll pass on this one. Cost savings is much appreciated ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow. The review and the color. I'm not big on blue inks, but I like this one. :thumbup:

Hi,

I'm getting a bit better acquainted with Denim as I run out the TWSBI. I'm enjoying it as well!

Bye,

S1

Thanks Sandy for the excellent and comprehensive review of this ink. I'll pass on this one. Cost savings is much appreciated ;)

Hi,

You're welcome!

Glad you were able to avoid what might have been an unrewarding expenditure. :thumbup:

Bye,

S1