Why And When Did You Get Your First Conway Stewart?

Postscript

A few years ago you could order some out-of-production models in almost any colour for a reduced price. I ordered a Duro in Amber with a FI nib. Another Duro came soon after than some more CS, but the Amber Duro is still my favorite. I still want a vintage CS...maybe someday....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Postscript

• The Good Captain

• MikeW

• raging.dragon

My first, and so far only, CS is a Belgravia I bought last year when they were first released. I'd been eyeing CS pens for awhile because their pens have pleasant shapes, I like many of the CS resin colours, and I have a weakness for sterling silver pens. I was trying to choose between the Britannia and Brunel when the Belgravia was released and I preferred it's gold trim, so I bought it.

Bryant dangled a lever fill Churchill with an IB nib, I bit, and never looked back. Drake, Belgravia, Britannia, more Churchills, Wellington, 4 Simpoles :embarrassed_smile: IBs, BBs, IMs... :headsmack:

Several years ago my doctor pal in PA got me interested in fountain pens. After a while I discovered the Windsor Limited Edition, quite stunning:

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/01-06/01wind.htm

A bit too expensive for me so I decided to buy a Silver Duro, the basis for the Windsor. I found one in the desired color: Flame Red. Stunning pen, the best out-of-the-box writer in my limited fountain pen experience. Fantastic feel, weighty, excellent balance, wonderful ink flow, an ice-like glide over paper.

http://www.paradisepen.com/assets/product_images/PAAAIAMDJHMKFFEP.jpg

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/airline_2181_658826427

CSSD

• 2 weeks later...

My father bought me a Conway Stewart pen and pencil set c.1968. with my name engraved on it. I still have it, and have only just realised I have something of a pen addiction. This was probably the beginning.

It says Conway Stewart 570 on the side of it, and has a 14K nib and lever filler.... also says 'holder foreign'. I doubt that it was that expensive as I was so young, but has anyone every heard of them?? It's a really pretty pen in purple with a shimmer through it. I haven't put ink in it for years, though I have other fountain pens that I use daily.

CS wasn't really on my radar. Plastic pens for the most part, they really don't come across too well online.

In person, however, that all changed. I was smitten and bought a red Wellington at Fortnum and Mason. The EF nib had a few flow issues, but after a trip to a local nibmeister it is now one of my favourite writers.

Then came a Coronet Khione IF, then a Nebula 100 IF and a Churchill green whirl IM.

QC has not always been the greatest, but when CS get it right, their pens are truly incredible.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Bry dangled a Churchill lever fill in front of me with an IB nib. I tried it and never looked back. Many CS later... :embarrassed_smile:

I read somewhere that Mr. Churchill used a CS. Kept on the lookout for a vintage CS pen for not too much money. Found one about a year ago on eBay- a 286 for about $35. After about $20 for a re-sac/nib tune, it's a very nice pen.

I found myself in Seattle after coming back from the Alaska cruise, with time to kill before my plane. Yelp pointed out that World Lux was a short walk from where I was.

They had been the source of the MB 146 which started the whole addiction three years prior. I hadn't know there was a B and M store in Seattle.

I walked in and Todd asked me if he could help me. I shared that I was an addict, but that I had entered that stage of the disease where Italic nibs were my obsession.

He had a special nib for me, an IF on a Classic Green Churchill lever filler, #456/500.

This pen has seriously depleted my horde of MB BRG. Recently, I have switched to Noodlers Black. Used it ten hours today, and still have some more charts to complete.

Bliss.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Why? Because they are gorgeous pens!

When? I've been drooling over vintage and modern Conways for years. Finally bought my first, a Coral Green Belliver, this fall and it is my favorite pen. Now I have four vintage models on my wish list to buy.

Why? Because they are gorgeous pens!

When? I've been drooling over vintage and modern Conways for years. Finally bought my first, a Coral Green Belliver, this fall and it is my favorite pen. Now I have four vintage models on my wish list to buy.

As I mentioned before, my first was/is the Coral Green Belliver but CS kindly exchanged the nib from Fine to Medium and I like it even better than ever!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I bought a vintage 286 off ebay 5 years ago, and was impressed with it - seemed a very nice writing pen.

Encouraged, I decided to try a modern CS and bought a NIB CS 100 in Lava colour/material. When I took it out of the box to fill it for the first time, the whole section fell out of the barrel. I had to return the new pen to Conway Stewart to fix what quality control should have caught before it left the factory.

I decided to try again, and bought a new sterling silver Drake. Turned out the factory had machined the section threads wrongly so that whenever you unscrewed the cap, the section and nib stayed in it and you were left with a naked barrel in your other hand.

After experiencing a 100% defect rate with modern Conway Stewarts. I decided I would never buy another one, and would stick to vintage in future! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, CS.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I saw a Model 100 on sale as the last one in stock at a local store. I couldn't pass it up. And I'm glad I didn't. I like the 100 very much. The size is perfect for me as it fits nicely in my shirt pocket. The pen is well balanced without posting which I prefer. It's very light weight and has a strikingly beautiful finish. And I love the nibs on the 100. I now have two and would have more if I could afford it :)

First was from ebay - an old one, around 19302/40s I think

The reason? It looked nice.

To be honest, it is my only Conway and my only 'vintage' (old) pen

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

A local store in Maryland? Didn't know we had any that carry CS pens. Thanks for the heads-up,

Post Script

Actually in D.C. - Fahrney's Pens

I got my first Conway Stewart because it came free with a Big Red, I was lucky to the extreme that it was a near mint 58 in blue herringbone!!!!

For my 11th birthday in 1961 I got a Dinkie and a plastic football. All my dreams had come true until the following summer when I was waiting for a bus outside the local art college and saw my first miniskirt. It would 40 years before thought of CS again.