Why And When Did You Get Your First Conway Stewart?

Postscript

My wife gave me mine as a gift, which started me down the road to perdition as a pen collector. If she only knew how far I have lapsed...

Post Script

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Postscript

• The Good Captain

• MikeW

• raging.dragon

I bought a NOS vintage model 58 a couple years back to experience the best British pen making had to offer. I don't regret it. I can't afford th e modern company's offerings.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I bought one from another FPN member and really liked it. I now have five. There is not as much variation in form in the CS pens but they are really beautiful and consistently well-built.

Long live the Empire!

I was at the Ohio Pen Show, and a nice Australian man sold it to me. He said the model I purchased was a common one of the type sold at British News Stands in the 1950s.

Fell in love with a CS Nelson II on line at Ebay searching for ebonite pens. Had to have ebonite. Hoping to save for Sailor KOP ebonite but settled. Turns out -- Wow! I didn't like ebonite at all when it arrived. So sold immediately and used the $ to get the Nelson Autumn Fleck, which I think is gorgeous. The balance and the nib forced this pen into my regular rotation. It's sloppy, though. The new CS cartridges leak at the feed nipple as much as the universal international ones did. About every month I need to rinse out the inside of the pen. But I put up with it, as it's a true writer.

I saw a nice Raleigh limited edition graphite on my dealers website. I bought it and it writes amazing.. And now I am waiting for my Sandringham ;) ( which is never going to see ink by the way )

Montblanc Limited Edition Collector

My Pen Source

I bought a coral Green Belliver not long back because it looked so different to all the Pelikans. Nice, heavier pen. However, my recent 100 Series Classic Green has to be my favourite pen (at the moment!) even over the two Bellivers.

I seem to remember having a very small lever fill CS when I was a schoolboy but I can't remember whatever happened to it. That one was a Christmas present when my parents had aspirations that I'd go away to 'public' school and Oxford.

Thankfully, neither happened.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I bought a Khione Special Edition and I am very pleased with this pen. I'm sure it will not be the last CS that I buy.

Regards

Twelve years ago we were clearing my MIL's estate and came across a beautiful marbled green mechanical pencil. The shape was amazing, flared at the end and the weight perfect. My husband suggested it was a co way Stewart as his mother had talked about owning a quality pencil and how her favorite brand was CS,and how the fountain pens were expensive and desirable.

Skip forward a few years and I had a scare at work where I thought I had lost the end of the pencil so tracked down it's pair on eBay. I found the end but also found the fountain pens, I indulged in a few burnhams and finally found a CS 58 at a local rural town. There was daylight between the tines and the few repairs I had done taught me that this was a pen to send away for repair.

This year the CS58, finally entered service and it is amazing - everything that I imagined after hearing my MILs opinions.

I can't quite afford new and part of me is scared that new might not live up to old but there will be more as I find them, the handle and weight are excellent.

I got a couple of vintage ones, 286 and 388, on ebay because I saw there was a forum and many people were excited about this brand. I could not afford a modern one, and I prefer vintage pens anyway. The 286 has a flexible nib and the 388 does not. i Like the look of the 388 better, but I like the nib on the 286 much much more.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

My first ever Conway was a No.85L in a startlingly attractive red marbled celluloid, with a soft XF nib. Believe it or not, I bought it more because I liked the look of the celluloid than anything else - it called to me. Once I got it I realised it had a soft nib - my first, at the time - and that was my introduction to flex, albeit on the not-very-much flex end of the scale. Since then I've progressed to Wahl/Eversharp flexies and wet noodle Watermans on that score...

Roll on a few years and I've now got a burgundy/black marbled 286 with a flexy medium nib, a wonderful No.73 in burgundy hatch with a soft fine, and recently invested in a grey hatch No.58 sporting a fine point. All of them write beautifully and the colours of the celluloid are unmatched in my opinion. They are superbly built, too, with some of the best nibs I own.

My first CS - a Belliver in Coral Green with an IM nib - is on its way to me. I bought it because of its beauty, first of all. If it writes as well as I hope, it probably won't be my last CS.

David

My first CS - a Belliver in Coral Green with an IM nib - is on its way to me. I bought it because of its beauty, first of all. If it writes as well as I hope, it probably won't be my last CS.

David

Yes, the Coral Green is a rather tasty finish and my similar Belliver is a really nice looking pen. That one has a F nib and with just a little 'tweak' (which I did myself - just made the metal part of the nib sit perfectly on the feed) it writes like a dream.

Good choice.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Had been coveting a CS for years, but the price, well... So when Swisher marked down their Swisher Exclusive (I'm not sure WHAT it is, but it's close to a churchill in size), I jumped in the pool. Now have a couple Wellingtons, a Nelson, and a Belliver (and a few others). But the Belliver, for its size, shape, and weight, is just about perfect for my hand size. Love the nibs, have everything from EF (my daily writer), to an IB. Quality speaks for itself, and CS is my favourite brand at this point.

JM

I've yet to buy my first CS. Not that I haven't tried, just don't have the picture put together on modern vs vintage. Right now I'm leaning toward a vintage, but haven't decided which. So many pens, so little time!

My first (and only) CS is a 1930s 10K gold filled pen given to me by my Grandmother when I first became interested in fountain pens. I spent an hour or two cleaning all of the dried ink out of it (it had been sitting in the drawer for several years) and then only replaced the sac a month or two after that (after much research and finally finding out how the section comes off.) It's got a wonderful 14K soft gold stub nib but it only gets used occasionally at home as I don't want anything to happen to it at school.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Searched for online pen magazine and found Stylus web page. On the right hand corner the icon for the advertisement link to worldlux was an CS.

After seeing it some many times I decided to order my first CS.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I inherited my 388 from my Grandfather circa 1970 when he passed on. At the moment it has no sac or filling lever and the nib is not great. I can't remeber if I receieved it like that or it ended up like that from my more youthful days. Unfortunatley I think it's now to expensive to get it repaired.

Apparently my Grandfather found it while on a walk shortly after losing his own. That was during WW2.

Cheers

Andy