Franklin-Christoph Model 25, "eclipse"

Erasmus

Thanks for this review. I hadn't come across this company before.

That's one cool looking pen :thumbup: . I especially like the clip - very elegant.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• jar

• Erasmus

• myyrkezaan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After spending time reading your review and on the website, it unfortunately took be about 9 seconds to order one. I'm going with the broad stub and will try to comment on the line width etc. in a week or so. I own their M14 already and like the company as a whole.

Um... *clears throat*... extra-fine nib.

Yes. YES! There's a crack in the Nakaya Shield! BACK OFF!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

And next week the photos of the M-29 should get posted on the website.

My Website

:headsmack:

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Want some photos now?

Want some photos now?

Got some but will wait for Scott's okay before posting them. My new M-29 is on its way to me right now,

My Website

This pen is super cool. I love that ivory stripe, the short cap, and the way the cap attaches to the clip.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I've had no leakage of any kind even with the nib-down orientation. I wouldn't carry it in my pocket on a plane, though.

Mine was waiting on my desk at work after returning from a week-long business trip. Can't wait to try it out today. It looks stunning in person, thanks,

Post Script

Mine was delivered very quickly, unexpectedly arriving on Thursday, in time to take it to the SF Pen Show the next day where I was able to show it to other pen appreciators. Unanimously declared "very cool." Other most common remark: "Why did you have to show me that? I already spent my budget!"

I have just returned from a 25-mile bike ride over uneven pavement, rough road, and one short stretch of a gravel path with the pen clipped to the collar of my T-shirt. The pen remained in place, the cap didn't unscrew, and everything seemed fine. I cleaned the inside of the cap with the tissue, and there was ink, but since I hadn't cleaned it before I went on the bike ride, I can't say if the negligible amount of ink was the result of the bike ride or from being somewhat manhandled over the weekend.

The bicycle tire pump affixed to the pannier rack, however, was shaken off.1

So far, high marks for the Franklin-Christoph Eclipse!

1Good thing I heard it. When I heard something hit the road, the first thing I checked for was the pen, then the little MP3 player (which, duh, I could still hear the music), and then everything else in front of me. It was only when I looked at the road behind me that I realized the pump wasn't where it should have been.

etherX in To Miasto

You need a pen for bike rides? And why are you listening to music while riding? That isn't too safe. Nice pen though; just got mine too.

Thanks,

Post Script

If I can hear something fall off my bicycle, I'm obviously not listening to music at dangerous volumes. But to answer your question, I listen to music when I ride my bike, because I like to sing along; it's fun and it makes me feel good and it alerts pedestrians to danger (a lady on a bicycle).

I hope you enjoy your Eclipse as much as I'm enjoying mine!

etherX in To Miasto

I have four Franklin Christoph pens, and it's rare that one of their designs does not appeal to me, but this one does nothing for me. It's the downward nib -- while many of my F-C pens are dry writers, I fear that my Model 25 would be the one without any flow problems whatsoever, and I'd end up with a pen cap -- or pocket -- full of ink. Probably just my paranoia being overactive but still.....

Very glad, however, that you are so pleased with the pen. I agree that F-C makes some very solid, high-quality instruments at quite reasonable prices.

This post is spot on. I like their designs but they have fallen out of rotation because they are dry writers. Also they don't make piston fillers and I need the ink.

Fantastic review! Thank you!

I was on the fence about this pen but I think I may give it a go due to your review...

I am just disappointed with you guys... tsk tsk tsk... -_- I didn't need another pen to desire, need, and eventually buy! But again, some pretty pictures and silky reviews have added another pen to that list which my wallet hates. ;)

Oh, and I ventured to the FC website and decided I want the Eclipse too! :doh:

I will note that I am not a big C/C fan, I avoid them if possible. But so many left me in my 'C/C purge' a few months back, that I could stand to add both of these pens to my hoard in the coming months. And atop that, these designs are so interesting I think I could live with a less than fantastic filling system for the beauty of the rest of the pens. If the Eclipse can be used as an ED that's a very nice bonus.

Gobblecup ~

What a beautiful pen is this... The clip is outstanding.

Nice review, thanks.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

Having the chance to order a pen customized by Michael Masuyama is what made me click on this one finally. I'm one of these tiresome people who are never happy with a pen the way it writes out of the box. I've had pens worked on by Mr. Masuyama before and have been quite pleased by the results. I'm amazed this pen is offered up front with this range of nib choices and for an astonishing price. I mean, two different sizes each of italics and stubs and what promises to be a true XF and free Priority Mail shipping to top it off. Yes, the design is intriguing but it is the nib range that got me. I did not need another pen but I need this one!