The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Older Luxor And Parker Sets

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marijan

Marijan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 17:11

My wife asked me to find her a reliable pen. She is a teacher/defectologist and she was tired of all that leaking (bleep) things, that school provided every year.
She likes older things so I went in antique shop and bought this two sets. I hope I did reasonably well, regarding quality (it was pretty much bargain buy, few bucks for set), but I am curios about that Luxor. Can it be said, based on photos is this an older (protruding pencil/FP) German Luxor set? How old is it?

Can someone enlighten me please, what Parker pen is this? 45?

Thank you!
Marijan Radaljac

P.S.
Ignorant question on the end. Seller told me that I need to turn the piston button all the way in the arrow direction and than pump the ink in the opposite one. Is that correct? I didn't try it yet.

Attached Images

• Opened.jpg
  • Nib.jpg
  • Rings.jpg
  • Piston button.jpg
  • Parker set.jpg
  • Parker Fp.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 stesil

stesil

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2011 - 18:20

I am definitely not the biggest Parker expert (not even of other brands :blush:) but I recently saw an ebay action with the same Parker, although in grey, stating it was a 90's Parker 21.

About the Luxor this is all I was able to find:
http://www.fountainpen.it/Luxor#Luxor Sorry is in Italian - you may try with google translate.

About the filling, it looks like a piston filler, so that is definitely the right way to do it.

Enjoy

Edited by stesil, 28 September 2011 - 18:22.

Per aspera ad astra

#3 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2011 - 18:46

The Parker is a 45 Arrow, which were 45s with a plastic cap instead of a steel cap introduced in 1964.
Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

#4 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 19:41

Hello Marijan
Surely, the LUXOR is a quality product from Heidelberg/ Germany, I think, made in the early 50th. Alas it is just a cheaper black one, Hebborn/ Luxor made gorgeous candy striped colored celluloid fountainpens. I think the nib is not original. Luxor made their own nibs imprinted with an Egyptian pyramid on top of the character "H" (for Hebborn). All in all a good bargain and a nice piece of writing history.
Kind Regards
Thomas

#5 Marijan

Marijan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:06

Thank you all for helpful information's.

Not sure is it possible to get original nib but I will if I found one. I will test it today. I hope that my way of cleaning in small ultra sound machine and clear water is appropriate.

Marijan Radaljac

#6 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 13:34

Ultra sonic cleaner is ok.
More pics of Luxor:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Kind Regards
Thomas

#7 tknechtel

tknechtel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 14:16

I bought a Luxor from Rick Propas; he might know more about them. You could contact him through his website, http://www.thepenguinpen.com/

It is absolutely one of my favorite pens, with a beautiful flexible nib! Congrats on finding it.

#8 Marijan

Marijan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 13:19

I would appreciate if you stop sending those nice photos Kaweco. I am easily tempted when collecting is in questions ;) . Thank you

Tknechtel, thank you very much for the link. I will ask the man.

Best,

Marijan Radaljac

#9 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 13:45

I would appreciate if you stop sending those nice photos Kaweco. I am easily tempted when collecting is in questions ;) . Thank you

Tknechtel, thank you very much for the link. I will ask the man.

Best,

Marijan Radaljac

Hi Marijan
:blush: :blush: :blush: Sorry, but I couldn`t resist... Deep in my Luxor cabin I found some more fountainpens.....possibly your wife is interested in looking at some more reliable nice old pens....
Posted Image
PS It actually would be interesting to hear some more news touching upon Luxor from outer space, e,g. the "penguinpen" man.
Kind Regards
Thomas

#10 Marijan

Marijan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 15:42

That`s mean Thomas. You don't really expect me to show that to my wife, don't you ? I don't want to spend few free hours I have during a working day, running from from an antique shop to antique shop, looking for those.

Seriously, very nice writing tools. That golden marbled set seems to be quite a match to mine, speaking about the model.

Thank you for showing.

Best regards,

Marijan Radaljac

#11 Marijan

Marijan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 17:44

It is interesting that I didn't seen this until I cleaned the pen. Old ink was obscuring the "visible" part, so I didn't noticed it, not even on photographs Piston mechanism is in perfect working order.

Best,
Marijan

Attached Images

• Visible part 2.jpg
  • Visible part.jpg

#12 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 16:58

Hello Marijan
Nicest ink window ever seen and really gorgeous photo :thumbup:
Kind Regards
Thomas

#13 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,269 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 13:00

Marijan,

That is a beautiful cap ring and ink window.

I really have to move Luxor up to the top of my buy list. It is I seldom saw any.
For a good six months having bought an expensive pen I couldn't look as was.

Kaweco showed some real fine pens.
I just know I often looked in both English and German Ebay and found nothing with Luxor.

I lucked out and picked up a Luxor with a maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' nib. It has that Heborn nib with a pyramid, split in half with stripes on one side, in the middle of a circle with the H below the circle. Luxor was stamped on the nib.

That is how I knew it for a Luxor in it has a gullochierte 900 silver over lay. That overlay needed a tad of cleaning, and my jeweler is waiting for a cologne who is better at that then him. It is one of the fish-bone ones.
Luxor was grounded in 1925, from the Firm of H. Heborn & Co. The made an assortment of piston fillers with a telescope mechanism. They made attractive marbled patterns. As Kaweco showed.

Then after the war a world wide disaster struck. The ball point.

The American firm Milton Reynolds opened up a branch in Bremen, to sell ball points, and high quality ball points from the English firm Miles Martin were imported.

Even large firms with an office supply branch behind them that did not get into ball points fast, like Soennecken died. Pelikan and MB got into ball points quickly and survived. Luxor died.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

|