The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diplomat Pens?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 jkingrph

jkingrph

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2015 - 15:27

I will see in a few day as I placed an order for an Excellence a in Marakesh brown with a F nib.

Regards

Jeff

Sponsored Content

#22 jkingrph

jkingrph

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 970 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2015 - 22:05

I just got my brown Excellence, and matching ballpoint in today.  The fountain pin has a gold nib and gold accents.  The nib does have just a little bit of flex to make it interesting, not real noticeable, but there if you try.  The ballpoint came with a Diplomat labeled refill, black medium, that has to be one of the smoothest writing ballpoints I have seen in a long time.

Regards

Jeff

#23 jkingrph

jkingrph

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 970 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2015 - 19:45

I just received this one a dark gray marble, and silverplate hardware and tip.   It is the same size and configuration as the Excellence a pens. Only 5000 made, mine is #1983.  The sleeve surrounding the black wooden display box  indicates a 1997 design, so it's almost 20 years old and appears unused and uninked.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Regards

Jeff

#24 mike_gw

mike_gw

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 18:14

Yeah, I love Diplomats! For me they are the perfect size and weight. No thread and step-down issues. You have a choice of gold or steel nib, and you can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't say their gold nibs are springy at all, but smooth nonetheless. I have one gold and one steel, and the steel is just as nice for my type of writing (I don't go for lots of line variation, I just like a smooth writing experience). Thus far I have two Excellence A's, and I'm planning on getting another one soon, as well as an Aero. Considering what you get for the price, Diplomats are my pen of choice.

#25 PenPaper52

PenPaper52

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 19:44

I own a Diplomat Aero in Dark Brown...it was this pen that got me back into fountain pens.
Very reliable and beautiful!

#26 Pens_Ink_Paper

Pens_Ink_Paper

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2017 - 19:01

I've just got my very first Diplomat fountain pen, the Aero. I've heard many good things said about the pen and wanted to try one out myself. I have to say I am very impressed with it. It's well designed and built and the steel nib is without doubt one if not the smoothest I have in my collection, it writes amazingly well. I'm impressed with my first experience of the brand and I will definitely look to add more Diplomat pens to my collection in the future
My Currently Inked: Platinum #3776 Chartres Blue (Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine) Pelikan M200 Green Marble (Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz) Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky (Akkerman #16 Oranje Boven) Caran d'Ache 849 Orange (Caran d'Ache Chromatics Divine Pink) Faber-Castell Loom Orange (Lamy Petrol)

Visit my blog for random ramblings on pens, inks and paper: http://Peninkpaperblog.wordpress.com

#27 jameswatts

jameswatts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:39

I bought a Diplomat Classic some 25 years ago and used it often for years. More recently, I bought a diplomat Balance -- an equally impressive instrument.

#28 alwayssunnyalwaysreal

alwayssunnyalwaysreal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 19:59

I have a Diplomat Aero Matte Silver, then a Diplomat Excellence A Skyline. Both write wonderfully. Personally I prefer the more classic looking Diplomat Excellent A.

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnya...s.com/for-sale/

Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD) 

Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy Safari | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) |  Noodler's Ink Ahab & Nib Creaper (SOLD)

Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Red (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD)Pelikan Stola III (SOLD)Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD) | Pilot Parallel

Pilot Prera - Light Blue (SOLD) | Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray (SOLD) | Sailor 1911L Fresca Blue (SOLD) | Sailor 1911L Key Lime | Sailor 1911L Royal Tangerine | Sailor 1911L Stormy Sea (SOLD)Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue (SOLD) | TWSBI 580AL Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI 580AL Turquoise | TWSBI ECO Clear | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers | ystudio Portable Brassing (SOLD) | AND MORE!

#29 DanceOfLight

DanceOfLight

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:10

What a thread to revive from 2011 ! Cool, I'll play. I have around a dozen Diplomat Excellence A FPs , Pencils etc, all except one are 14Kt nibs. The pens are very underrated, top class , high quality pens. Their customer support is good but they do not do Nib-exchange Ala Pelikan or Waterman/Parker . The nib have very little choice in terms of tipping width although the "B" is a very generous .  Their ink offering is very limited as well, but good ones. The pens are practically all metal and build like tanks (in a good way) , I'd easily compare them with the legendary Carene in terms of bomb-proff-iness but more staid looking .

#30 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,273 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 18:04

My wife's 'old'  Diplomat.................don't know from whom I stole the picture but it was only 1000% better than I could have done. Could be the seller's.

Clip is a gold plated stirrup....Pen is silver plated.

There is also one with a tennis racket clip and something to do with tennis in the jewel.

dYPz9F6.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 23 November 2017 - 18:06.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#31 Time-traveller

Time-traveller

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 22:24

Sorry for seeing this thread so late – but for what it’s worth, let me proclaim to all who are willing to hear that Diplomat is a woefully under-estimated, great brand.

At the moment I have:

1 Traveller

1 Époque

2 Esteems (lapis raspberry and blue granite)

6 Magnums (black; 1 fine nib, 5 medium)

The Esteems, Époque and Traveller all have fine nibs, and I have an exchangeable medium-nib section for the Esteems as well.

Why do I have so many Magnums? Not only because in my opinion they are the best in the price range, but also because right now a fellow in the ’Bay Germany is selling them off in a clearance sale, asking 10€ for a bunch of four of them, either black or blue (that’s ten euros for four pens, people, excl. shipping. If you don’t want four of them, you can also get  a single one for about 4€. Act fast). 2.50€, but also 4€, is an absolutely crazy steal for a pen that normally goes for 11 to 16€ (and that is worth more). The Magnum is a light, rugged, knock-about pen with a pleasant semi-soft grip and a striking yet seriously decent design.

I generally prefer fine nibs in my pens, but the difference between fine and medium in Diplomat is not so pronounced, the mediums (esp. in the Magnum) tending to be rather fine mediums.

It looks like I’ll have to do a review of these great pens some day, seeing that so little info about Diplomat is circulating even here at the FPN.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Platinum 3776 Century, Diplomat Esteem, Pelikan M200, Waterman Expert

Sponsored Content

|