The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Soliciting A Solitare

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ballboy

ballboy

A pen-intent man shall pass

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:39

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Having finally secured a 149 with a nib to my liking (well delighted jubilation more like,) I felt inspired to search the classifieds on FPN again for a companion to this magnificently kindly handling behemoth.

I'd bought the 149, with OB nib from Daniele who offered what turned out to be an excellent pen with exquisite service. Despite DHL struggling to find my address, all ended happily a week later.
I'd noticed the silver with gold trim instrument nearby and out of curiosity went to search for it again. Going a few pages back, past a block of expired sales notices, I found it. As with the 149, the pictures were crisp, clear and enticing...

long story short; the pen was worth it but it now carries the responsibility to end all new pen purchases for the rest of the year - and the decade.

Meanwhile; the nib is fine and smooth with the nice blend of polite feedback without scruffiness, just sublimely informative. I've barely dipped the nib but look forward to fulfilling its first barrel-full in due course. The balance is exceptional, even with all the silver/metal coating. I don't post this pen.
Being new old stock from about the late eighties/early nineties, I was confident in buying a piece of unused, uninked history with a nib that has a decent level of gold plating and no brutal cost cutting measures with nib layering that I hear of today.
Usage: since this pen feels like any of my good pens to write with, the main attraction for this pen is its sheer classy timeless good looks. I liken it to an artifact from Dune, a pen perhaps the Padashar Emperor Shadam IV would use to jot down notes about spice production and navigator demands.
It's easily the showiest - and most expensive pen in my collection; its attention seeking attractiveness is perversely inversely proportionate to my desire to keep it buried away in my desk from curious eyes.

Other pens have been sacrificed to make way for this imperial arrival; the 1911 and VP are now gone while other peripheral scribblers have vaporised into pennies to feed this pen's cost. I say cost, yet, like a Rolls Royce, the quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten. Well, I won't be forgetting the latter in a hurry or adding to the collection. If a gilded snowflake can't put the full stop in my collection's sentence, what can?!

This must be the end.Posted Image

Edited by ballboy, 25 September 2011 - 14:56.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Sponsored Content

#2 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:44

Congratulations on obtaining such a beautiful pen. :clap1:
What ink are you thinking of using in it?
Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:49

A very nice pen. I do love sterling silver pens.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 ballboy

ballboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:50

Hi Lorna

I like the Diamine Graphite I dipped it in for the photo sample. Anything earthy from the Liverpool ink supplier will do nicely.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

#5 ballboy

ballboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:52

Thanks jar
Your silver YoLs are quite an inspiration and while I love mine, this pen is quite a counterbalance to them.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

#6 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2011 - 17:00

Great pen. I've been looking for a Vermeil one for years.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|