New Pelikan M1000 Moonlight Raden

Iguana Sell

I have Gekko and Kyokko for several years. They are beautiful and good writers. However as mineiro said there is not creation at Pelikan, that is the reason I do not buy Pelikans for a long time.

Edited by mjchuang9

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marckuypers

• meestahbig

• mjchuang9

• RLTodd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Limited to 200? That's an interesting way of putting it. At 2300 Euros, I'm not really sure how many people will be queuing up to buy it. It's pretty and all, but 6x the price of a regular M1000? I think I'll pass...

That's a really nice looking pen, but the price...! I'd only think of buying it if I could afford to lose that kind of money and not be too bothered.

I'm happy to wait for the M805. :cloud9:

Just got a message from my Pen Shop. He will receive the Moonlight tomorrow or the day after :)

Once I get the pen I wil post some pictures for you guys ;)

Montblanc Limited Edition Collector

My Pen Source

I hear 80 of 200 are to be sold in Japan. Retail price is 210,000 yen.

But, most Japanese shops announce that it is already sold out.

Raden (螺鈿) artist Norio Matsuda (松田典男) is introduced here.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/tsubo/program/file199.html (in Japanese only)

See the image 19-25.

You can see a letter "典" in the barrel. His signature.

post-39484-0-99714700-1316775073.jpg

It is an authentic "mother of pearl" pen.

Anyway, I cannot afford it. -_-

Edited by tacitus

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

I like the larger Sovereign pens but I don't think they are particularly good value, I know it's hard to quantify "value" in specific terms, if you can afford to use a $600+ pen then you probably view it as good value, but for half that I'd suggest Brian at Edison can make you a better custom made writing instrument, albeit not a piston filler, if you want a perfect nib add a few bucks and get the nib meistered to your tastes, in comparison that's good value.

The Moonlight takes not good value to new heights, I think the 200 LE run is a great marketing pitch, and obviously you could use it as any other M1000 but I think this is one of those pens that is perfectly functional but is really designed as a collectors pen to look good in a well lit glass showcase?

Obviously your views may vary.

Craig

"Those Who Know What's Best For Us, Must Rise And Save Us From Ourselves."

Witch Hunt - Neil Peart

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

My, my, my that is a beautiful pen but it's not for me, price-tag notwithstanding

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will take the minority view that the styling does not fit the pen.

I agree. It actually looks gaudy, to me. Not to mention that decent-used-car price tag.

I like it because it's not as gaudy as the other current limited edition pens. But it would be a lot nicer if the stripes went all the way up the barrel. Either way, I can't afford it and I'm kinda glad about that. Would be a tough decision otherwise :)

• 2 weeks later...

interesting design, although it's priced way outta my wallets way..

comparing it with the $200 pilot vp raden though, it's hard to understand why it's so pricey

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

• 3 weeks later...

fpn_1321039221__.jpg

I cannot resist such a big raden artwork finally. On maki-e pen, you may find some small parts using raden technique, but you can see all raden on this moonlight. Besides, I can change the springy nibs from F to BB even BBB, fun and exciting. The color varies with light.

Edited by mjchuang9

Compared to M800 Gekko(moonlight) that is purple color mother of pearl and Kyokko(sunlight) that is blue color MOP, this M1000 Moonlight is blue that is similar to Kyokko's. Besides, the M800s are with maki-e on the logo on the top of cap, M1000 is with the new normal logo on it. However,large raden on barrel shows her beauty.

I think this is a lovely pen. And there are so few variations on the M1000 (or pens that will take that marvelous M1000 nib). Alas, not in the budget after a few recent acquisitions, but I can dream drool... :puddle:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...