Kaigelu 316 Grey- Amber

richardandtracy

Kaigelu has its own website, in Chinese and a slightly strangled version of English, and it's here:

http://www.kaigelu.net/

The page for the 316 is here: http://www.kaigelu.n...p?ID=18&SID=177 . The list price is RMB:¥201, unfortunately I don't know the exchange rate. I think it's officially ¥1=US$1, so the 'official' price for the pen is pretty high... And it's MUCH cheaper than som of their gold pens (The 319 is RMB:¥1378)

It appears that Kaigelu only make the three colours stocked by Isellpens.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks for the URL! happyberet.gif

Regards,

Issy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Flounder

• KrazyIvan

• jor412

Thanks for the thorough review. Among others, I'm interested in Chinese pens for the variety of styles available and I was considering buying this one for its looks. The white version is likewise beautiful. But now I think it may be too heavy & large for my hands.

Using it unposted is no real problem. Posted is where the weight becomes too imbalanced.

I'm guessing that "extra large" gloves will mean that my "small gloves" sized hands will have some difficulty with the pen. I have a Parker 51 Aeromatic Signet and I find it heavy after writing more than a page.

Regards,

Issy

Issy,

I do think that will be the case. If you have small hands, the posted centre of gravity will be above your hand. The same occurs with me and the Jinhao Century Pen.

I don't know the weight of a P51 Signet, however the standard one is 23-24g, and I cannot imagine the signet barrel weighing much more than 10g extra, taking the weight to 35g max. The Kaigelu is 46g when inked.

Regards,

Richard.

Kaigelu has its own website, in Chinese and a slightly strangled version of English, and it's here:

http://www.kaigelu.net/

The page for the 316 is here: http://www.kaigelu.net/en/Z.asp?ID=18&SID=177 . The list price is RMB:¥201, unfortunately I don't know the exchange rate. I think it's officially ¥1=US$1, so the 'official' price for the pen is pretty high... And it's MUCH cheaper than som of their gold pens (The 319 is RMB:¥1378)

It appears that Kaigelu only make the three colours stocked by Isellpens.

Regards,

Richard.

I believe at the moment 1 RMB is about 16 USA cents, so the list prices aren't that bad.

ron

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these pens and really like the coloration. However, the pen is very heavy. My nib is somewhat dry. I have no regrets, it is a great pen for the price. I purchased a Dolce Vita Naranja on eBay which is a Kaigelu manufacture and it is much lighter and writers amazingly well for only $10.00 Threre is a set with a matching rollerball for $20.00

Cheers

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

Thanks Richard for a excellent review. I have had similar experiences with my Kaigelu 316s.

Just bought my second 316 via eBay for $21.00 (new without box). Bought my first one from Todd at iSellpens. You should pay $20 to 35 US even though I have seen an eBay seller trying to get $95 for one.

While the nib is smooth, it is way too dry for my liking. It obviously needs a nibmeister's attention. It definitely doesn't post well given the fact of the top-heaviness you'll encounter.

Bottow line: I consider my Kaigelu 316s a worthy addition to my modest collection of fountain pens and I use them frequently.

cuza.

• 1 month later...

got mine today!! what a beautiful pen!

got it from this ebay vendor in china: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330638250883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

if you don't mind waiting 3 weeks till it arrives in the US... it's worth the waiting and his price is right. no affiliation!

Which color did you get? I'm seriously tempted by this one...

[color="#483D8B"][i][font="Book Antiqua"]Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna, in die illa tremenda. [/color][/font][/I]

got it from this ebay vendor in china: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330638250883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

if you don't mind waiting 3 weeks till it arrives in the US... it's worth the waiting and his price is right. no affiliation!

Which color did you get? I'm seriously tempted by this one...

hi! same one as the OP's on this thread.

You just have to love knock-offs. Thanks for the comparison of the nibs!

trpofapprobal.png

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the charcoal version from this seller; it arrived yesterday and writes beautifully! I am very pleased with it... but I can't leave him any feedback because the listing has disappeared; the purchase is no longer listed on my queue. Is this normal? I know this is a bit off-topic, but I feel I owe him the good feedback.

[color="#483D8B"][i][font="Book Antiqua"]Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna, in die illa tremenda. [/color][/font][/I]

I bought the charcoal version from this seller; it arrived yesterday and writes beautifully! I am very pleased with it... but I can't leave him any feedback because the listing has disappeared; the purchase is no longer listed on my queue. Is this normal? I know this is a bit off-topic, but I feel I owe him the good feedback.

I am in the same boat but I have not received my pen yet. I contacted eBay and it seems they removed the listing but will not tell me why. They suggested I should have received an email about it but I don't think I did.

They usually only do this when they feel a vendor has done something suspicious.

Which Vendor was it?

I have seen GotoSchool888 removed temporarily on one occasion, but then he returned as if nothing had happened.

Regards,

Richard.

These pens look impressive and because I never post, the weighting issue should not be a problem either.

This is a good looking pen particularly for the money, however I do find it a little sad that it is so obviously a Parker Duofold copy. The Kaigelu company obviously can make a decent pen and so I would have liked to have seen them develop some of their own ideas on design rather than just make enough changes to the existing Duofold to achieve their price point and avoid legal problems.

That said, I will try one for myself and see what I think after using it - I may change my mind!

They usually only do this when they feel a vendor has done something suspicious.

Which Vendor was it?

I have seen GotoSchool888 removed temporarily on one occasion, but then he returned as if nothing had happened.

Regards,

Richard.

same vendor in the eBay link. The vendor has not been suspended, they are still active selling the same pens. Actually, they have added more inventory now, it seems.

Which Vendor was it?

Regards,

Richard.

same vendor in the eBay link. The vendor has not been suspended, they are still active selling the same pens. Actually, they have added more inventory now, it seems.

Yes, same seller as listed, and he has this pen and other items still listed. I had no problems, but KrazyIvan, has your pen arrived yet?