How To Remove Nib Of Parker Vector Pen?

leewm

Hello,

I have a couple of modern Parker pens and I noticed that the nibs are all alike. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the nib from one and put it into another without damaging anything in the process?

I would like to try putting the italic nib that is on a parker vector to another parker pen.

Thx

Weemeng

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dutchpen

• leewm

• grandpasmurf

• Ron Z

Not really. There are some that Parker never really intended to come apart. You might get it apart, but you might break it in the process too. Try on a really crummy one instead of one that you like if you can't resist.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Hello,

I have a couple of modern Parker pens and I noticed that the nibs are all alike. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the nib from one and put it into another without damaging anything in the process?

I would like to try putting the italic nib that is on a parker vector to another parker pen.

Thx

Weemeng

I have exchanged nibs and feeds between Vector and Reflex pens without mishap. If you look at the underside of the feed right at the section, you'll see a deep slot. I used a 15 cm steel ruler that just fit into that slot as a handle to pull the feed out.

You *must* pull straight out without twisting or rocking the ruler (or whatever you use) or the feed will probably break.

Keep the feed with the nib as the feed's flow matches the nib (usually marked on the underside). Putting the nib and feed into the section requires just a straight, firm push, and they will stop against a shoulder inside the section.

As Ron says, though, they are probably not meant to come apart; proceed at your own peril! :-)

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Thx Ron and Mike. I tried it with one of my pens but didnt hv the guts to push too hard :unsure:

It seems to be very stiff. I'll wait until one of my babies really need to go thru the pain then I'll try.

Thx Ron and Mike. I tried it with one of my pens but didnt hv the guts to push too hard :unsure:

It seems to be very stiff. I'll wait until one of my babies really need to go thru the pain then I'll try.

Mike is right.

you can pull out the nib and feed with the deep slot near the collar.

you can try to fluch it with warm water first to be sure that there is no ink anymore.

pull out the nib straight.

you need some force to do this but eventually it comes out.

the nib and feed are friction fit.

Good luck.

Lennard

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

I am new here but just wanted to say a huge thanks to both Mike and Lennard!

I have suffered with a very scratchy and dry Rialto for the last year or so, and had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to spend £20 (approx $30) on a new nib section to make this pen (which was a gift) usable, but after reading this post I took a chance and removed the nib and feeder from the body - and see the problem staring at me, there was a small piece of plastic shard in the top of the feeder line! a clean up with warm water from a syringe and woohoo, a beautifully smooth rialto that will no longer sit idle in the pen pot!!!!

Thank you both again!!

J.

Hi guys

I have suffered with a very scratchy and dry Rialto for the last year or so, and had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to spend £20 (approx $30) on a new nib section to make this pen (which was a gift) usable, but after reading this post I took a chance and removed the nib and feeder from the body - and see the problem staring at me, there was a small piece of plastic shard in the top of the feeder line! a clean up with warm water from a syringe and woohoo, a beautifully smooth rialto that will no longer sit idle in the pen pot!!!!

Thank you both again!!

J.

Thank you very much,

I'm happy to read that you enjoy your rialto again. they are very nice pens which are unfortunately not in production anymore.

Lennard

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

Hi guys

Thank you both again!!

J.

Thank you very much,

I'm happy to read that you enjoy your rialto again. they are very nice pens which are unfortunately not in production anymore.

Lennard

Hi Lennard

It is a great pen, and I am now finding any excuse i can for using fountain pens more and more as I am enjoying writing again! I have also found buying fountain pens from fleabay an exciting new hobby. this morning I received 2 of my latest purchases, a slimfold and a 25, the slimfold is beautiful and smooth to use but the 25 alas has had a hard life and I was hoping you may be able to help. The nib appears to be twisted at the end a little and it is very scratchy and slow to use as it requires quite a lot of pressure for it to work, which is very unnatural to me, have you any tips as to what i could do to sort this, I used to have a 25 fp a few years ago that was a beutiful writer and it would be nice if i could rescue this poor thing

Many thanks

J.

• 5 months later...

Just did the switch to make two Reflexes into italics with nibs from Vectors. Soft, broad grips and nice nibs :D

One nib came out of the Vector section fairly easily with a soak, but the other needed a bit of warming before I could free it. Boith slid easily into their new Reflex homes. Thanks to all posters above.

Hi LennardIt is a great pen, and I am now finding any excuse i can for using fountain pens more and more as I am enjoying writing again! I have also found buying fountain pens from fleabay an exciting new hobby. this morning I received 2 of my latest purchases, a slimfold and a 25, the slimfold is beautiful and smooth to use but the 25 alas has had a hard life and I was hoping you may be able to help. The nib appears to be twisted at the end a little and it is very scratchy and slow to use as it requires quite a lot of pressure for it to work, which is very unnatural to me, have you any tips as to what i could do to sort this, I used to have a 25 fp a few years ago that was a beutiful writer and it would be nice if i could rescue this poor thingMany thanksJ.

My suggestion would be to contact John Sorowka (he is a member of FPN, Oxonian). He does excellent work to rescue nibs for reasonable prices and with a good turnaround time.

• 3 years later...

Take a cloth, cover the nib with the cloth and pull the nib up. This is how I managed to take my vector's scratchy nib out.

I've just improved my 2010 Urban by fitting it with a very smooth 2006 UK made Vector medium nib.

Always liked the Urban, but the original nib was just too dry.

The UK made nibs didn't have the chrome finish that the Urbans and I.Ms do today, but the smoothness is very noticeable, and it's not a 'one off' example either, I have four Vectors from '92 onward that are all much the same.

The extra weight of the Urban over the lightweight Vector has made a difference to how the nib writes too. Very worthwhile modification.

• 2 years later...

Thanks to you all for this advice. I have just acquired a Rialto and I was able to remove the feeder using a steel ruler exactly as Chthulhu recommends - thanks. But be warned by the fate that *nearly* got me: as a sonnet user I wasn't expecting the nib to come loose from the feed. Stupidly I washed it under the tap - and the nib went straight down the plug hole. Someone much more competent than I am had to undo the waste pipe, and fortunately was able to retrieve the nib. That cost me a bottle of cava, but now I do have a lovely rialto that writes beautifully!