Your Best Pocket Pen?

pricewool

Is the Pilot Petit similar to, or preferred Pilot's Varsity? Same question comparing the Petit to Platinum's Preppy. Thanks, All.

The Varsity, the pen which got me through college, seems to have the same nib (F steel) but the body is bigger and it's not refillable. I prefer the nibs on the Petits because I have smoothed them and they are just a dream. Never tried to smooth a Varsity. As for the Platinum Preppy, can't tell you, never had one. Maybe I should get one but then again...I need another pen like a hole in my Petit.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• KBeezie

• dunc3862

• Lloyd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a fisher space pen that I hacked a high Tec c coleto blue black refill. It is a great $20 pen with a fine writing refill that I enjoy.

I have three Kaweco Classic Sports, all of which are eyedroppers and all of which rattle around in a pocket of my backpack daily and NONE of which have leaked one drop.

Jan

I too have never had the Kaweco sport leak and I carry it in front pocket every day. Great substitute if main pocket pen goes dry...

I have a fisher space pen that I hacked a high Tec c coleto blue black refill. It is a great $20 pen with a fine writing refill that I enjoy.

The Fisher Space pen is probably the best all around for a back up no frills pocket pen. But it most certainly lacks the flair of a fountain pocket pen. :-)

TWSBI Vac Mini. Franklin Christoph model 40 pocket.

HLW III

/Users/harrywarren/Desktop/IMG_0742.JPG

I've always liked Montblanc's Meisterstuck Mozart - a diminutive comfortable writer. That said, I do not slip into my pants pocket, nor do I carry any FP in my pants pocket. I do put them in jacket, coat, vest and shirt pockets.

CFTPM

Pelikan 140 whose M nib is a fabulous stub. It is smaller & lighter than a TWSBI mini.

Edited by setriode

I keep a Parker 51 Demi Aero-Metric Extra Fine in my pocket most of the time, alongside a Rhodia No.12 lined pad. I have been eyeing the Franklin-Christoph Model P20 or 20M. They are pretty and light.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/collections/shorties_oct2014/posted.jpg

For me, Not as handy as an elite that fits better in the pocket, and I like the grip area better. Most of the stress is on the cap if any stress occurs rather than right on the section connection. I've also found that the cap is much more likely to pop off the metropolitan if either dropped or grabbed the wrong way.

A beautiful collection. Thank you for sharing the photos. What is the red pen on the very left?

Regards,

AD

A beautiful collection. Thank you for sharing the photos. What is the red pen on the very left?

Regards,

AD

Bexley Jitterbug.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jitterbug/uncapped.jpg

Unfortunately it doesn't post very well, requires a firm press and sometimes slips off.

Takes a Jowo #6 nib though.

I don't have any of those pens pictured anymore, though my 1956 Pelikan 400NN and 1950s Pelikan 140 would be similar to the M250 on the far right if not a tad smaller (the 400NN would be longer).

But my favorite smallest pen would be the 1920s Wahl #2 w/ 14K Semi-flex Needlepoint that posts very well.

http://i.imgur.com/ZSBJVdH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q1Mjihj.jpg

Posted next to a standard size Eversharp Skyline (in the line up above that's a demi-sized skyline)

http://i.imgur.com/00jE1TL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9pnRvy3.jpg

Quick camera phone shot showing it next to a standard eversharp skyline (1940s), Parker 45 GT, 1910s American Swan S.F., 1950s Pelikan 140, 1956 Pelikan 400NN, Pelikan M640 SE, and a Montblanc No.225.

http://i.imgur.com/Do0yoMu.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Gosh, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I have several Vintage Waterman's in rubber w/sterling silver overlay. I have a gold-filled Wahl, a tiny grey pearl French Unic w/ gf overlay, and several others. All of them are vintage pens, and all write like a dream. Unfortunately, NONE of them go into my pockets, as I don't have any, _and_ I would worry horribly about them being stolen or having a cap fall off and get lost or somesuch. Most of those little guys were pretty darn expensive, after all! What I DO carry everyday in my cell phone case is a regularly-sized Retro 1951 w/dog pawprints all over it in steel w/a pewter wash/effect. It's the only pen I use cartridges with. It is extremely reliable, ALWAYS starting up first try no matter how long it's been since I used it last, and is both attractive and tough enough to stand up to everyday use and storage while out and about. I'd be very sad if I lost it, and angry as a hornet if someone stole it, but at something like $60, at least I wouldn't be out a small fortune.

Not having read through this entire thread, I wonder what the OP originally chose?

"In the end, only kindness matters."